The Chicago Diner

Contact 773-935-6696

3411 N Halsted, Chicago, Illinois, USA, 60657

Providing all vegetarian and mostly vegan American comfort food for brunch and dinner with organic beers and wine, margaritas, vegan bakery, and desserts. Meat free since 1983. Patio seating available. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-10:00pm, Fri 11:00am-11:00pm, Sat 10:00am-11:00pm, Sun 10:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Bakery, Catering

First Review by amargrav

Amazing Spot - Edit

This place is great for any meal. I've had brunch and dinner here several times and have not been disappointed. You can't go wrong with anything on their menu and plenty of my non-vegan friends have joined me and loved it! Their milkshakes are the best.

Pros: friendly staff, excellent food, good value

Cons: Need a few lighter options

great brunch spot - Edit

This place is fantastic. We have to get poutine every time we go (seriously, order it. you’re welcome). They serve Teese which is getting difficult to find elsewhere. Their vegan shakes are just amazing. I love the vegan veggie, BLT, quesadilla, cinnamon rolls, Mexican breakfast bowls...never had a bad meal.

Pros: Doesn’t serve meat, Mostly vegan, Great rare vegan finds

Cons: Serves eggs and dairy

Meat eaters love it too! - Edit

This place is amazing, the entire menu is vegan or easily made vegan, and even omni's enjoy the food. They have a great variety of choices available. I had poutine and milkshake and they may have been better than the real deal.

Pros: Absolutely delicious, Friendly staff, Reasonably priced

Cons: Very crowded

YUM! - Edit

Ok, this place is amazing. The entire menu is basically vegan unless you modify your order to add non-vegan items. Server was super nice. I order a sweet potato pineapple burger with vegan mac and cheese for a side. HOLY COW it was so good!! The vegan mac was the best I'd ever had. I wanted to order a vegan shake for dessert after because they looked amazing but I was stuffed. This is a place that vegan, vegetarians, and omnivores will love. I will DEFINITELY go back!!

Pros: TONS of vegan options, Nice staff, Nice atmosphere

Nothing Could be Finer than the Chicago Diner - Edit

After a cold and rainy bike ride and Cub's game the Chicago Diner was a great way to end the day. We started with some tasty appetizers (waffle fry poutine, caesar salad) and some great shakes. All of our main courses were delicious as well, especially the "meat loaf" and the cheesesteak. They also have an extensive beer list and a variety of vegan desserts. Chicago Diner placed a solid 3rd in our family vacation restaurant war competition. We liked it so much we bought the cook book.

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-01

Pros: great food, great drinks, neat atmosphere

Worth waiting years for! - Edit

As a Chicagoland native who has spent my adult life elsewhere, I had been waiting a few years for an opportunity to return to my hometown and eat at the Chicago Diner. The restaurant did not disappoint! I am vegan; my dining partners (old high school pals) were one vegetarian and one omnivore. We ordered two Radical Reuben sandwiches, one Country Fried Steak, Sweet Potato Fries and Ginger Garlic Flashed Greens - sampled a bit of each and loved it all! The beer and wine selection was good - I had a nice glass of Pinot Noir with my meal and my friends had beer. Servers were exceptionally nice - it was a really lovely evening!

Pros: Outstanding food, Great range of options, Friendly staff

Excellent every time - Edit

Edit:
We generally visit the Logan Square location and are much happier with wait times and space. The variety offered is great!

----
The food is always amazing. We've had numerous items over the years and the only thing we didn't love was a burrito which I don't think they have anymore anyway. I very highly recommend the gyros and shakes.

One disappointing thing is that their portion sizes have gone down while prices have gone up. For example, you used to get two gyros instead of one and sandwiches came with two sides. The place is also very cramped.
Updated from previous review on Thursday October 20, 2011

Updated from previous review on 2012-09-14

Pros: So many great selections!

Cons: small and cramped, smaller portion sizes than before, sometimes a long wait to get in

Revolutionary Radical Reuben! - Edit

This is one of the best experiences I've had since going vegan. I was in heaven! I NEVER expected the Reuben to be as good as it was. A meat-eater would never have guessed this sandwich was vegan. I was traveling from out of town and had planned this visit to The Chicago Diner for several months and was quite excited. I wish I could've had gone back every day I was in Chicago and had the Reuben. (Never been a fan of Thousand Island dressing, so I always sub yellow mustard.)

I had Macaroni & Teeze as my side dish and regretted my choice. I've had WAAAY better vegan mac & cheese.

The Choc Chip Cookie Dough milkshake was super delicious. The only thing I regretted about that choice was that I didn't order the large! ;)

My dining partner ordered the Pierogi Quesadilla and really enjoyed it.

YES! YES! YES! - Edit

My husband brought me CD food a few years ago, and even after a flight from Chicago to Boston, it was amazing. I was so excited to eat here and it totally lived up to its reputation.
We got the Buffalo Wings, and you cannot oversell those things. They were spicy and chewy and awesome. Then we got the Reuben--it's just one of the best things I've ever eaten, period.
Also got the Chicken Fried Steak with mashed potatoes etc. Also just amazing. The 'meat' is chewy, and crispy on the outside with delicious gravy.
Our waitperson was great. She advised us that the desserts are now made by Whole Foods :( but recommended the Turtle Cheesecake (OMFG, it was great) and a milkshake, also fantastic...be sure to get the chocolate sauce lining the glass.
The beer selection was surprisingly interesting. We had a really great local porter.
I've eaten some great vegan food the world over, but there is nothing like this comfort food anywhere else.

Pros: best comfort food anywhere, very reasonable prices, beer list

Cons: having to fly to Chicago

Come here!! You won't regret it! - Edit

Love this small and adorable restaurant. It has all vegan options with some gluten free items. They even have gluten free beer, vegan desserts, and everything tastes delicious. We came here with my coworkers, 2 were vegetarians, 2 were not and I am a vegan. The non vegetarians absolutely loved everything they ate, which speaks volumes about the quality of the food. I would come here again for sure. Loved the neighborhood and it had great service. The vegan milkshakes are to die for!!!!! :)

Pros: Vegan, Gluten Free Options, Quality and Service

Awesome diner - Edit

Mostly vegan with a couple dairy and egg options. I ate here 6 years ago when visiting the city for work. Couldn't wait to visit again, and was not disappointed. And the dessert selection is great! The carrot cake surprisingly wasn't as good as I'd expected, but I went back the next day and got a milkshake and the cinnamon roll which were both awesome. Wish I could eat there more often!

Pros: Most items are vegan, Many dessert options, Friendly, attentive staff

I love this place. - Edit

Whenever I travel to Chicago for work, I make sure my trip allows for enough time to have at least one meal here. Excellent diner food made veggie. Truly one of my favorite veggie restaurants in the world. Wish there was one in Seattle!

Second City and Second Class - Edit

I drove hours out of my way to try the famous Chicago Diner and I ordered the country fried steak based on recommendations from friends. I was not impressed, the seitan was rock hard and flavorless, though the breading was good. The mashed potatoes were great, but the gravy was salty and blah, and the vegetables were a bit al dente for my taste (but that could be a personal thing)
I do have to say that the waitstaff were incredibly friendly, and really on it, as far as checking in, filling water, and just being real nice.
Sorry Chicago, but you have nothing on Champs in NYC for comfort food, and once again come in second.

Pros: Great Staff, An Originator

Cons: Not great food

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Chicago Diner closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.