Sweet Pea Cafe

Contact 850-692-3476

832 Tharpe St (at Old Bainbridge), Tallahassee, Florida, USA, 32303

Small, locally owned and operated vegan cafe. Serves lunch and weekend brunch using local produce, most of which is from Full Earth Farm in Quincy, FL. Coffee (house roasted) and tea is fair-trade organic. Lemonade & iced tea made fresh daily. Counter service and a homey atmosphere. Opened in April 2011. No 'wfpbno' options. Open Tue-Fri 11:00am-8:00pm, Sat-Sun 11:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Beer/Wine

First Review by hellokiddo

Favorite Restaurant - Edit

Sweet Pea Cafe is a Tallahassee gem. From their sandwiches to daily specials to their cookies, I have never left disappointed with a meal. I take my non-vegan/vegetarian boyfriend and friends to this place all the time and they love it as well!

Updated from previous review on 2017-02-06

Pros: Tasty food, All vegan, Daily specials

Cons: Location, Limited hours

wonderful vegan restaurant - Edit

This all vegan restaurant is one of my favorite places to eat in Tallahassee. The food is always delicious! Love the specials that change every day!

Pros: delicious all vegan food, generous portion size, friendly staff

Cons: location (not very close to downtown offices), hours (not open super late)

Sweet Deal - Edit

I made my 5th or 6th visit to Sweet Pea Cafe around 3:15 PM last Sunday afternoon (3/29/15), with my wife and son, as is usually the case, but I have also taken my grandchildren there as well on another occasion. I ordered the Tempeh Reuben with sweet potato fries and a lemonade. The food, as I have experienced previously, was delicious. Serving size was right. I find the price reasonably okay. Our food was served promptly. The food was great every time that I have been there.

Updated from previous review on 2016-11-26

Pros: Vegan, Good selection, Tasty food

Awesome vegan food (vegan poutine in Florida!) - Edit

The Sweet Pea Cafe in Tallahassee is a 100% vegan spot with some inside seating and ample outside seating under a giant awning to shade diners from the Florida sun. I ordered the spicy BLT and upgraded the side of regular fries to poutine for $1.50 extra. The fries were crisp and golden and smothered in delicious gravy, melty vegan cheese and herbs. The sandwich had blackened tofu, spicy vegenaise and lettuce and tomato on toasted bread. The whole menu looked fantastic, complete with vegan desserts!

Pros: Excellent food, Good value, Friendly staff

I love everything about sweet pea too - Edit

See pics we uploaded of our tempeh reuben we are in the outdoor seating. Their conscious stickers and even charging for to go containers to help minimize waste. Right on. Cool cafe with cool smiling employees cooking and preparing really yummy food!

...Comments coming from a family of four with two little girls and a dog traveling all around America in our RV for a year in search of conscious communities and yummy vegan food!
Instagram: twee.yoga #thejourneyisthedestinationtour
#thejourneyisthedestinationWINTERtour
Fb: Twee Yoga Twee Merrigan

I love everything about Sweet Pea! - Edit

This restaurant has become my favorite restaurant BY FAR in tallahassee. They are environmentally conscious which I LOVE and they serve delicious food. I have tried almost everything on the menu and so far my favorites are the BLT with Blackened tofu and the Black Bean Burger. All of their food is simply put, tasty as hell! They have delicious sauces that compliment each dish and the fresh desserts are BOMB. The store itself is so cute and homey, they have a gender equal bathroom which rocks, and they use LOCAL PRODUCE. I cannot say enough good things about this place.Keep doing yo thang Sweet Pea.

Pros: AMAZING FOOD, reasonably priced, Environmentally conscious

Cons: None this place is the bees-knees

My favorite food in Tallahassee! - Edit

I love everything about Sweet Pea. I've taken many of my carnivore friends here (who are VERY skeptical about the vegan thing) and they all left loving it. I think between all of us, we have now tried everything on the menu and there isn't one thing that wasn't delicious! My favorites are the Buffalo Tofu Sandwich (completely satisfied my need for buffalo in my life...) and the Falawesome. The lemon-tahini salad dressing is a must try as well! You will not regret eating here... Vegan or not! PS - TRY THE ICE CREAM FLOATS.

Pros: Everything is delicious

Good food and lovely decor - Edit

Perfect for brunch and anytime. The rosemary cookies are amazing. The aesthetics are very strong. It is lovely to enjoy some good food and look at the great details in the restaurant.

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff, Great decor

Cons: Hours

Local gem - Edit

I don't think I've ever had something from here that I didn't like. Lot of great sandwiches, the quesadillas are tasty and their homemade drinks are pretty good too.

The menu ranges from cheap eats to lunch items that are upwards of $10. Pretty much everything comes with a side, so you'll have plenty to eat no matter what you get.

The source their food locally and their vegan...what more can you ask for?

Pros: Tasty food, generally friendly staff, some cheap menu items

Cons: Parking is awkward, Their driveway has a huge dip in it

Local Prize - Edit

Favorite spot in Tallahassee.
Great service.
Predictably grody, with good (tattooed) service, a big, covered patio with picnic tables. Music-themed specials. Greasy, filling meals like Tofuevos Rancheros and Vegan Poutine. Its basically every great divey vegan place you've ever been. Reeks of Austin/Asheville in a great way.

Pros: Big, flavorful vegan meals, Great brunch, coffee, Affordable and fast.

EAT HERE - YOU WILL LOVE IT - Edit

I was in Tallahassee for a couple days. I found two AMAZING vegan restaurants using my Happy Cow app – Sweet Pea being one of them.

Sweet Pea is fantastic. It has a really cool, cheerful vibe to it. All the workers are young and friendly and welcoming. The inside (there is indoor and outdoor seating) has a charm about it that is irresistible. Inside, they have these small mosaic tables that are really beautiful, as well as a counter by a big glass window where you can sit; it is sunny and bright in there. The menu is on a blackboard above the counter where you order; there’s a regular menu and specials of the day. You place your order, then they bring you your food.

I had the Bob Marley and the Kalers special (appropriate since they were playing Reggae music). It was a hard call for me because I always enjoy a Reuben, which they also had on the menu. But, I couldn’t pass up the special. The Bob Marley was scrambled tofu (YUM), potato hash browns (excellent), and kale (delicious, although I thought it was collard greens not kale). EVERYTHING was just so good. Oh, and, it came with some delicious cornbread.

The special was only $8 and was a lot of food. I really enjoyed it. The kids who work there keep coming out and asking how you are enjoying your meal – again, they are very friendly. I didn’t see anything on the menu that cost more than $7 or $8 – really, really good prices, especially considering the amount of food you get. You definitely don’t come away hungry!

I like that this restaurant is locally owned and operated. I think that is important for your community and I always try to support businesses such as this. I love it that they compost.

Sweet Pea is just a few minutes from downtown Tallahassee on what seems like a main road. The exterior is basic – nothing fancy, no frills - but don’t let that scare you away. The inside and outside eating areas are both very clean and nice. There is plenty of parking on the side.

When I return to Tallahassee, I am going to be torn between my two new favorite vegan restaurants, but, for sure, I will find time to make it back to Sweat Pea!

Pros: Delicious food, Inexpensive, Workers extremely friendly and helpful

Cons: Not in my hometown

YUMMMY! - Edit

I am revising my review since 6/22/13. On our more recent visit to Sweet Pea (10/26/13), I noticed they had painted or washed the grime in the bathroom. It looked more refreshed. The food was still delish! They had a few breakfast like items to their menu that I wish I had tried.
Next time.

___________________________________________________________
My daughter and I ate at Sweet Pea Cafe after a long tour of FSU. The place itself looks a bit run down, seemed a little grimmy, like it needs a good paint job, and floors scrubbed. Inside, there are a few tables. We were turned off by the flies inside, so we decided to eat outside which had picnic style wooden tables. My daughter had the Buffalo Fried Tofu with ginger lemonade. I had the Falawsome with black ice tea. We both ate a hugh chocolate chip cookie, which was to die for! My daughter really liked hers. Mine was also very good. The food was priced reasonable and tasty. The staff was friendly and order came quickly. Overall, we really liked the place, though the decor was iffy.
Updated from previous review on Saturday June 22, 2013

Pros: yummy vegan food, price, friendly staff

Cons: felt grimmy (though improved), limited seating, flies

Excellent! - Edit

We were traveling to SC and used my Happy Cow App to find us some lunch. Recent Vegans exploring a whole new world of food.
Perfect place and exactly what we wanted. After reading the reviews, I went with the Reuban and my wife the Awesome Falafel. Both were great. I really liked the Reuban and would order it again.
Washed down with a Mimosa and wanted some coffee to go, but by then it was packed inside and at time lunch time. Great service, but small place.
Fun irony watching the meat market next store feed the obese while the healthy snacked at Sweet Pea
Updated from previous review on Saturday April 13, 2013

Pros: Vegan Food, Fast, Not far from I10

Cons: None. , Exactly what we wanted

GREAT FOOD, QUIRKY ATMOSPHERE - Edit

My daughter and I recently visited my grandson for FSU parents weekend. We are recent vegans and found this restaurant on 'Happy Cow'. We went for brunch on Sat. and Sun. Food was really good....coffee was excellent. I had the scrambled tofu brunch with home fries (excellent) and dtr. had Buffalo 'chicken' sandwich on Sat. yummy!!! on Sun. we had gorilla biscuits w/ mushroom gravy and rancheros tofu scramble....again, yummy!!! we brought my 10 yr old granddaughter on Sun. (picky eater) and she loved the home fries ! Would recommend 'Sweet Pea' to everyone, vegan or not. It looks a little quirky but that just adds to the charm...staff were very friendly and helpful...this is a 'Green' facility, be prepared to ' bus' your own table, you'll find silverware and napkins on sideboard. will definately visit 'sweet pea' next time we visit FSU.

Pros: excellent food, huge portions, price is right

Cons: limited seating

A Tasty, Healthy Gift To Us - Edit

The Sweet Pea Cafe' is a labor of love on the part of two highly talented and vegan, culinary artists. If you aren't vegan, and don't know that vegan food and cooking can be absolutely delicious, visually appealing, and incredibly diverse, then this should be your first stop in Tallahassee: You'll have a fine time learning all of those things while you enjoy a tasty meal or maybe just a cup of home-roasted coffee. These folks have put together a diverse and interesting menu, and one or the other of them is almost always there, in the thick of things, to keep things just right. This is an excellent place for a quick lunch, a Sunday brunch, or a nice dinner. The price is right, and the atmosphere very casual.

Pros: Tasty!, Good value! , Friendly staff and customers!

Cons: nada!

Return to Tallahassee Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sweet Pea Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.