Sunnyside Up

Contact 541-758-3353

116 NW 3rd St (at Monroe), Corvallis, Oregon, USA, 97330

Serves meat, vegan options available. All-day breakfast cafe offering some vegetarian and a few vegan specific items. Has vegan pancakes and tofu scramble and sandwich. Uses non-GMO tofu & soymilk. Free Wi-Fi. Mon-Sun 6:00am-4:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Non-veg

First Review by little_bit

Severely Disappointing - Edit

Sunnyside up

You think you're going to like it when you walk in, but everything's a disappointment after that. They have all sorts of cool systems and positive things they do - things like the empty bowl program, or advertising free OG used coffee grounds to gardeners. But the food is surprisingly bland and the portions are impressively small. Their diary is only partially organic - they have no organic cheese.

The worst thing is they make the classic restaurant salad mistake- thinking that a plate of greens qualifies as a meal - it was a tasty fresh plate of greens, but it was no more than that, and the $2 extra we paid for the "grilled tofu salad" literally garnered us a 2-inch by 1.5-inches *single* piece of extremely bland soft tofu in the center of a surprisingly small bed of greens - this after the server assured us that the salads were "quite large"

We went here with a group for two breakfasts in a row, and while the other food we had was not as disappointing as the salad, nothing was particularly flavorful or fulfilling. They have many dishes with tofu, but not a single one where it is prepared in a remotely tasty or flavorful way, further perpetuating the mistaken belief that it's not as good as meat. Another note: the bathroom was horribly kept with stains and spills of god-knows-what all over it.

The positives: The coffee was very good, and they had organic creamer. The ambiance is lovely, and the service is friendly and helpful, if slow. They have trivial pursuit cards on the tables, which was sort of fun and diverting while we waited an incredibly long time for our paltry food. They use whole wheat tortillas.

Not Impressed - Edit

We've come to SunnySide Up several times over the past year for lunch & coffee & we were really let down. Vegan food is cooked on the same surface as meat & twice I have found meat in my food after being assured they would prevent cross-contamination. I gave them several chances & was just too let down by this happening more than once. Their coffee & baked goods are tasty so I'm kinda bummed to not go back!

Pros: local food, organic

Cons: cross-contamination issues, pricey

Better than most places for a vegan breakfast - Edit

Sunnyside up is ok. They do have a few different vegan options which is more than most breakfast establishments. I was dissapointed however that when ordering the vegan pancakes and veggie sausage they did not inform me that the veggie sausage was not vegan (they use Morningstar Farms which contains egg). It would be nice if they would make a note of that on their menu given that they do have vegan options.

Pros: More choices than most, Laid back

Cons: Non-vegan sausage, Unhelpful staff

Return to Corvallis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sunnyside Up closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1453 times since Aug 2007.