Sunnyside Cafe

941-359-9500

4900 N Tamiami Trail (at University Pkwy), Sarasota, Florida, USA, 34234

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers three vegan breakfasts including a tofu scramble. Also has fruit and freshly squeezed orange juice. For lunch they have a vegan chili, a grilled vegetable platter and a chickpea burger. A panini can be veganized by omitting the cheese. Uses Vegenaise. Open Mon-Sat 7:00am-3:00pm, Sun 7:00am-2:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, European, Non-veg

First Review by MichelleDonner

Nice atmosphere and awesome brunch options - Edit

They have both indoors and outside sitting. the outside sitting is really nice but a bit noisy right on the main road. The chickpea pancakes with avocado and mango salad are yummy!

Pros: great vegan brunch, outdoor sitting

Unexpected Delight - Edit

wouldn't allow 5 stars. only a couple vegan options for breakfast and lunch but incredible. meat eaters wouldn't know their entrees are vegan.

Very cute and very delicious! - Edit

We stopped in for lunch on a Sunday and found the outdoor seating to be very quant and intimate, even though the restaurant is located right on busy Tamiami Trial. Our waitress was new, but very friendly. My vegan chickpea burger was a little salty, but made with quality ingredients. The fries with veganaise to dip (plus I added sriracha!) were to die for! Our food came out quickly and was very tasty. Would definitely like to come back here for breakfast at some point.

Pros: Vegan breakfast!!!, Quality ingredients

Cons: Located on a noisy/busy road

My Favorite Vegan Breakfast in Sarasota - Edit

First, the decor and ambiance is really very lovely. The Cafe's logo misled me into thinking the interior would be below average, but I was pleasantly surprised. Lots of nice wood details, very simple but modern.

There's three vegan breakfast options: Savory Chickpea Pancakes, Oatmeal Banana Pancakes, and Tofu Scramble. Three vegan lunches as well: Chickpea Burger on Pita, Vegan Chili, and Vegetable Platter.

I ordered the Chickpea Burger and my partner ordered the Chickpea Pancakes. In his words, "I can't decide which is better!" The burger would've been better if it had a top bun, too, but was super delicious.

Our waiter was also vegan, which was nice! Makes you feel really comfortable eating in a non-veg restaurant.

We cannot wait to come back and try the Vegan Chili and Tofu Scramble next! I've tried a bunch of other vegan restaurants for brunch but this is the one I will come back to most. Everything was delicious and well priced!

Updated from previous review on 2016-09-11

Pros: Variety of Clearly Marked Vegan Options, Nice Ambiance, Friendly Waitstaff

Cons: Chickpea Burger needs a top bun! ;)

don't judge a book by its cover ... - Edit

So this place doesn't look like much on the outside (you sort of expect a typical diner with food that is probably not fresh), but I have been here now a few time and I really like it. It's a place non vegans like and several of my non vegan friends have actually gone for the vegan food options. As an example, the chickpea burger is not some generic vegan pattie from a freezer but seem to me freshly made.

Pros: great place for mixed company, several vegan choices, food seems freshly prepared (like the chickpea bur

Cons: it doesn't look like much on the outside looking, parking is not great , open for dinner only on Fridays and then they only

Amazing Breakfast - Edit

This place is a hidden gem. Atmosphere was cute and cozy. Staff was very nice and knowledgeable. I had the Savory Chickpea Pancakes...they were delicious! I can't wait to go back and try the tofu scramble.

Pros: A variety of vegan options

Great Lunch - Edit

Needed a lunch spot to meet a non-veg colleague. Not much to look at from the outside and the parking is somewhat unclear. New owners are providing great service and menu choices. Happy to recommend and to return.

Pros: Service, Clean and bright, Menu choices

Cons: Parking tricky, Exterior uninviting, Easy to miss on a busy road

Sunnyside Has Awesome Breakfast for Vegans - Edit

We had heard that new owners had updated the menu, so we went for the coveted vegan breakfast. The Savory Chickpea pancakes with a mango salsa and avocado is my new favorite. The banana pancakes are also really good if you like a sweet breakfast in the morning. They also had a tofu scramble that we have not tried yet as the chickpea pancakes are so good. They have fresh squeezed orange juice. They have a few options on their lunch menu too. Great little place along the north trail. Friendly, Informed staff make this a great little breakfast stop.

Pros: Great Flavors, Moderate Price, Under $10 for a meal.

Jennifer Schubert 19 Oct 2015 - Yay! That's very good to know. Thanks for sharing!

Return to Sarasota Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sunnyside Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.