Sunmoon Bakery - Septemvri

Contact 359899138411

Ul 6-ti Septemvri 39, Sofia, Bulgaria, 1000

Organic bakery and restaurant with a few outlets; this is its 2nd. Makes artisan bread using ancient grains like einkorn, spelt, kamut. Has Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Sat 8:00am-10:00pm, Sun 9:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Bakery, Bulgarian

First Review by fabrye

excellent range of vegan options & very friendly service - Edit

We had a lovely dinner - 2 soups and a mixed starter plate that was excellent.

Service was very friendly helpful. Will definitely go back again.

Great value for money as well !

Pros: menu options, service

Between OK and good - Edit

I didn't know it is a "bakery", because the menu looks pretty much from a restaurant. It is easy to find, and the area of the 5 corners, located in the most alternative part of town.
The service is a bit slow but not that bad. The food is nice, good, tasty but not wow! I think they put too much effort in the presentation -everything is nicely served- but the portions could be a bit bigger. Personnel is very friendly and helpful. I think I still need a second visit to have a full assessment, but all in all I'd go back.

Pros: Well located, Fair prices

Cons: Portions are not big, Very popular so service can be slow

Good food - Edit

We had dinner here tonight, a hot summer night, out on the terrace. We really enjoyed the food, my non-veg husband as well. Of course, some details could be improved, for instance the couscous with the avocado salad, but overall we had a nice meal and the staff was pleasant.

Pros: nice food, nice atmosphere

Cons: the red wine was really very warm...

Never disappoints - Edit

I do come to Sun&Moon pretty often. I think I have tried all vegan dishes on the menu and I wish it was fully vegan as everything is really good, Especially the mini pizza with tofu! Yum! And the sandwiches and the salad with avocado and sun dried tomatoes. I never get stomach aches after eating there as it is relatively low-fat and they emphasise on the quality of ingredients. The atmosphere is nice, always full and chilled. Great location.

Pros: Good quality, fresh ingredients , Chilled atmosphere , Central location

Cons: Not fully vegan, Not many vegan cakes/ deserts , Online bakery menu - honey is not vegan

Not bad - Edit

I have been to this restaurant few times but always had some problems with the order. One time we had to wait about 1 hours and 30 minutes to get our food. They simply forgot about it! When we wanted to buy the bill they couldn't find it and they started looking for it in the bin...the food was OK but the portions are not very big.
I like the bread they sell and I recommend it.

Pros: Nice bread

Cons: small portions

Ok food - Edit

I ate at this location once and at the other location twice. At this location I had the baba ganush, homemade bread and mujadarra. This location is more spacious than the other one and there are individual tables downstairs, whereas the other one is mostly communal seating.

My baba ganush was ok and was too thin for my taste. I am used to thicker baba ganush. However, Sunmoon does not have pita bread, and instead I had several types of their homemade bread. Whereas with pita bread, I could dip the pita bread in the baba ganush, with regular bread, I had to spread it on with a knife. Since I had to spread it with a knife, it makes sense the dip would be thinner, but I prefer the thicker dip.

The mujadarra was a good portion size, but strongly tasted of lemon. In the past, when I have had mujadarra, it did not have lemon or came with a lemon slice on the side so I could chose the amount of lemon juice I wanted. Because, there was too much lemon juice, I could only eat some of it. It would be great if they would put the lemon slice on the side, so people could have it without lemon if they wanted.

Vegan items and food that can be veganized are clearly marked on the menu.

I would give three happy cows for the food, but I will give an extra happy cow, because they bought me spring water without my asking. I also found out that it was safe to drink the tap water and that there was a spring in the downtown area where I could refill my water bottle.

Pros: complimentary spring water

A really overpriced place with a mediocre food - Edit

I really need to warn the people on happycow about this place, before they get robbed at Sun and Moon.

The daily meal was wrong - what I mean by that is that the whole day they were cooking a different daily from what it said on the menu (2 out of 5 main ingredients were wrong), and the chef found out only after we made the remark. How bad can you get to cook a WHOLE day of daily (we ate at 9 pm, they serve it from noon) from a different menu?! Even worse, the daily was served to one person and the other one had to wait 40 minutes for their main course after the first person was already done (even though at time of order there were roughly 3 tables with about 10 people top in the restaurant). Unacceptable. And since all 3 tables near us were served in the same matter (different orders, not daily, but still not acceptable) I think this is the way they do things at sun moon. One girl was waiting about 30 minutes in which time the guy received his salad, finished it, and then received his main! What makes the matter worse is that the daily was already cooked so there was no need to serve the daily to the one person and not wait for the main to be ready for the other person and THEN serve both at the same time. I am not the most patient person in the world, but I can definitely wait a few extra minutes if told so, but can't accept the daily to be served 40 minutes before my main, which puts both persons at the table at an awkward situation! On top of that, half of the things on the menu are not available, why bother writing them there?! I think this is the way restaurants work in Bulgaria (we had 3 occasions), but still Sun Moon beat them all up. Missing things from the daily menu? No problem! Half the menu missing, missing drinks etc. - a huge problem! And to top it all, the food is not that great, its OK at best, it is very pricey for bulgarian standards (I guess the newly vegan rich in Sofia have to show their standard in some way). So the restaurant has a definite 0 stars from us for the cooking, the serving and the pricing (definitely very over priced!) and I highly recommend you to check some place else.
Until they change the food, the pricing and the attitude this place can't be recommended.
Updated from previous review on Thursday August 29, 2013

Pros: almost none, the lower floor seems nice

Cons: pricing, mediocre food, cooking

Return to Sofia Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sunmoon Bakery - Septemvri closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1551 times since Sep 2012.