Sunday Cantina

04-2933793

3 Mahara Place, Waikanae, New Zealand, 5036

Serves meat, vegan options available. Cafe in the Mahara Court shopping precinct offering labeled vegan choices on the menu, includes bagels, smoothies, muesli, salads, breakfast bowls, burger, and sides. Open Mon-Fri 7:30am-5:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Western, Take-out, European, Non-veg

First Review by AndyTheVWDude

Waikanae jewel - Edit

So great to see a Waikanae eatery with some interesting vegan options. We went late in the day and a lot of the food was gone but even still, there were quite a few vegan items left for our afternoon tea. I loved the date scone served with coconut cream and jam. It was a very good scone with flavours of orange and ginger. I also tried the bounty bar - a raw vegan chocolate coated coconut dessert. I love coconut foods and liked this though it wasn't sweet enough for me which surprised me as I usually find desserts too sweet.

I was disappointed to see that their bagels (a food that is almost always vegan) were not vegan and to swap the bagel for vegan bread cost an extra $2. Why don;t they just get vegan bagels? How can swapping a bagel for bread (a food surely they have plenty of in the cafe anyway) incur a charge of $2? So that was not great.

The staff were lovely, extra helpful and understanding of what vegan is. I also liked the atmosphere and styling of the cafe plus all the parking out the back and a children's play area in the outside dining space.

Pros: interesting vegan options, super helpful staff, great location

Cons: non vegan bagels, $2 charge to swap bagel for vegan bread, shut weekends

Nice and Fresh!.... - Edit

We went on a Sunday as they are now opening for the 1st Sunday of each month! Nice! Their normal Mon-Fri trading hours means a lot of working locals can't get there during the work week!

Nice and fresh produce and friendly, efficient service. All of the salads in the cabinet were vegan when we visited. As were the 3 raw dessert slices! A couple of counter food options were also vegan. (Muffins). There isn't a lot of vegan variety on the menus but staff did also seem willing to alter some of the vege options to make them vegan.

A nice, bright cafe with a busy and vibrant atmosphere. Their ingredients were fresh, tasty and (we were told), local and that's always great to support. Moderate pricing and good brewed coffee that you can keep refilling.

Too wet when we visited to use the courtyard but it looks like a good place to enjoy some food on a sunny day.

Pros: Tasty food, Bottomless coffee for $3!, Friendly and efficient service

Cons: Needs more vegan options, Better weekend hours for commuting locals

sundaycantina 05 Oct 2017 - Hey ... our whole bruch menu can be done vegan . Or though there may be the odd peice of halloumi or a pickled egg the actual dish is vegan even picklets are . !!! Just an fyi we also have a vegan bagel.

Return to Waikanae Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sunday Cantina closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.