Sri Rajya Lakshmi Narasimhan Vegetarian

• Vegetarian

436 Serangoon Road (at Opposite Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple), Central Singapore, Singapore, 218132

South Indian eatery situated opposite Sri Srinivasa Perumal Temple, near Farrer Park MRT/North-East line, in Little India. Specialty includes andhra dosa. Relocated here in Apr 2014.

Category: Indian

First Review by ADTC

Eating here feels divinely joyful - Edit

I was lucky to walk into this place. I was looking for a place which serves food without onions and garlic and this place was like an oasis in desert. This place is no ordinary place where they would just present you a single take-it-or-leave it option of no-onion-no-garlic food, they serve all items on menu (except 3) like this. Not only this the food here just wonderful. It is full of traditional flavours, it is fresh, hygenic. Everytime i eat here it feels i am eating in a temple. The ambience is also created as a spiritual place and they do serve food with love and care.
Dosas are wonderful. Pongal, idli , vada , samosa all are a delight. South indian Thali is simply the best, one cant ask for anything more. Even back home in India its not easy to find such food easily. Food is mainly south indian, but there is Chapathi meal as well.
I really enjoy the sambar and chutneys here. Feels like home. They provide ghee and achar too with Thali.
People here are very nice and they serve everyone with much enthusiasm. Prices wise it is cheap to moderate. Quality is what you get here, and for this quality in Singapore this is cheap. Dosas ($5-6 SGD). I have since found few other places which serve pure vegetarian food without onion and garlic, but this place simply stands out. And i would rate it as the best in Singapore.

Pros: No onion no garlic , pure indian vegetarian, Food quality, Taste

Indian Vegetarian - Edit

Excellent Indian lacto-vegetarian food. There are many dishes without onion and garlic. South Indian meal is the best. North Indian meal has onion and garlic. You may order Thosay, Ittily, Pongal, Chappati --- which have no onion and garlic --- that come with Daal, vegetables and Saambaar (curry) without onion and garlic. Inform the waiter your preference.

Pros: Excellent food, Reasonable price, Hygenic

Cons: Indian nationals' children romp about., Waiters have BAD memory, Waiters don't attend to you.

Good food, if you stick to the basics - Edit

eYou know how mum's cooking is the best, but it is not applicable to all dishes, is it? How does your mum's vadapav compare to the vadapav sold at the corner rekdi?

The same goes for SLN, as I have come to call it over the years. Their thalis are excellent, their idlis soft, their dosas crisp and their sambar superlative. Try the north Indian fare or the fast food only if you are feeling adventurous.

The service is adequate, but one does get the feeling that the waiters do not tend to stay. I have seen many new faces on the many occasions that I have been there.

If you see a sprightly middle aged lady in an exquisite saree running around asking people how the food is, do let know what you think. She takes feedback very seriously, but be nice. She doesn't take crap from anyone.

All in all, a great place if you are missing home cooked food, and you do not mind listening to Hindu/Buddhist chanting while consuming your meal.

Pros: Excellent basics, Good filter coffee, Nice ambience

Cons: Slightly expensive ceterus paribus, Waiters may forget second orders, Popular with families, crying baby alert

Worst customer service ever! - Edit

My wife and I visited this restaurant for dinner. We went there because she had tried the Hot & Spicy Andhra Cheese Dosai and recommended that I should try it too. Hence we ordered Andhra Cheese Dosai and Andhra Masala Dosai. It wasn't very spectacular, but something new and likable, but the inflated price of $5.90 is too expensive.

We also ordered Bournvita and Tea. As we were finishing our Dosai's, the drinks were served. The Bournvita didn't taste like Bournvita, but tasted something like Horlicks mixed with Milo. Still it was OK.

But the Tea was actually a "Masala Tea." This is not what I expected when I ordered Tea. The menu card clearly states the name of the item as "TEA". It doesn't state anything beyond that. What would a new customer walking in, conclude from this? That the tea would be normal.

So I called the waiter and asked him why I'm served with this kind of weird tea, when I ordered Tea. He went to the kitchen, came back and told me "This is the only tea here." So I asked him, "You go to a restaurant outside and order tea, do they serve masala tea or normal tea?" He didn't even apologize or say anything but simply removed the tea from the table and struck the order off the order slip.

Later, when paying for everything except the tea, I discussed with the cashier (boss/manager), showing him the menu card and asking him "How is the customer supposed to know whether this is normal tea or some masala tea?" Instead of apologizing, he shows me a lunch menu, which has an item called Special Tea and claims that it's a printing mistake in the evening menu.

He was trying to hint that I'm supposed to know, without being told, that Tea means Special Tea. In response I told him that the waiter must inform the customer of such mistakes, and let the customer know what will be served. Again, he refused to apologize and even ignored my conversation, quoting the bill instead. ($13.80!)

At this point, I was already getting very angry at this unworthy attitude of the staff in this restaurant. I simply paid getting ready to leave. I left the restaurant with my wife, but not before telling him a final word: "How is the customer to know what is what? If you aren't going to provide quality service, customers won't want to come back to your restaurant."

I vowed to never visit this restaurant again due to such irresponsible customer service and uncaring attitude of the staff. They never seem to respect the golden rule of business: "Customer is always right."

Pros: Good food

Cons: Bad Bournvita, Wrong Tea!, Worst Customer Service!

Return to Central Singapore Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sri Rajya Lakshmi Narasimhan Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1735 times since Sep 2008.