Spotted Dog Restaurant and Bar

Contact 919-933-1117

111 E Main St (at Weaver & Greensboro), Carrboro, North Carolina, USA, 27510

Serves meat, vegan options available. Creative take on American-style cuisine with very large selection of vegan options (including but not limited to fake meats). Has full bar, relaxed atmosphere, local artwork. Tempeh and tofu dishes can be made vegan upon request. Entrees would range from $10-$15. Located in historic downtown Carrboro, right across from Carr Mill Mall. Offers veg options that are marked on the menu. Open Tue-Sat 11:30am-12:00am, Wed-Sun 12:00am-12:00am.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by veganrunner

Really good food - Edit

The food here is really good, and there are plenty of vegan and vegetarian items clearly marked on the menu. The veggie wings are delicious (you can ask to get them with vegan mayo on the side instead of blue ranch dressing) and the tingas are really good too. Some of the other items can be a little hit or miss in my opinion.

Pros: Lots of options, Delicious food, Clearly marked on the menu

Cons: Some items can be hit or miss, Expensive

Love the vegan bbq! - Edit

I'm from out of town and was really looking forward to eating here and I was not let down! I had the veggie bbq sandwich (slow-cooked shredded soy chicken) and really liked it. I also had the veggie wings (soy chicken nuggets) for appetizer and I LOVED them!! The vegan dessert was just ok. I will definitely return when I'm in town again!!

Tons of clearly labeled vegan dishes! - Edit

This place definitely caters to vegans. Their menu had literally dozens of clearly labeled vegan options. We had the tempeh salad- it's local tempeh and truly unlike any tempeh I've ever had!! In the best way. Highly recommend that dish. Also had the veggie burger which was excellent. Our waitress was vegan, the guy sitting next to us was too, and they have fliers all over for supporting local shelters, not to mention it's a dog theme. So, all in all (for a non-vegan establishment) -- very animal friendly

Very vegan friendly - Edit

Although my preference is to eat at 100% vegan restaurants, it is so refreshing to go to any restaurant that is sensitive to vegans and has multiple menu options. The staff is trained to understand and accommodate vegans. The veggie chili is vegan without the addition of cheese and is wonderful. My favorite is the tempeh "bacon" reuben. Tempeh and tofu add-ons are available for salads and vegan burger/sandwich choices as well as vegan cheese. And there are other vegan options too!

Pros: LOTS of vegan options and add-ons, Friendly staff, Vegan chili and tempeh "bacon"

Cons: Serves animal products

Lots of great options! - Edit

Veggie/veganized "comfort food" type menu with a lot to choose from, with vegan items clearly marked. I was with a group of non-vegans and everyone really liked the food (most ordered vegan dishes)- as a group we had the hummus plate, flautas (which were amazing), the curry quinoa burger, and the Reuben. They also had a vegan brownie sundae so of course I had to try that too- not the best I've ever had but still very good. It's centrally located, near lots of shops, definitely worth a visit if you're in downtown chapel hill.

Pros: big menu , clearly marked vegan options

Delicious Chik-Faux-Lay and vegan BBQ sandwiches - Edit

I eat here probably once a week - I love it! Pretty much everything right down to the salad dressings on their menu is clearly labeled if it is vegan, vegetarian and/or gluten free, and the staff is very good at answering vegan questions. Their soup of the day is often vegan and made with local ingredients. They usually have at least one vegan dessert. My favorites are their standard American fare items like the vegan BBQ sandwich (amazing - ask for vegan mayo instead of coleslaw), vegan crab cake sandwich (complete with remoulade sauce), the fantastic Chik-faux-lay sandwich, and the Tofudabeast salad if you're feeling healthy. Their Crazy Chips are really good, and you can ask them to bring vegan mayo instead of ranch for dipping. The beer-battered fries are phenomenal too. I think they have a separate fryer for vegan food. Service is usually really fast and servers are attentive and friendly. They always have interesting dog-themed artwork. When you're finished, walk across the street to Weaver St Market for people-watching or a vegan chocolate chip cookie.

Updated from previous review on Monday August 05, 2013

Pros: good value and portion size, cool artwork and location, friendly vibe

Cons: parties larger than 6 have to split up, could have more vegan desserts, tomatoes aren't that great

Vegan labeling! - Edit

They have great vegan options and they are clearly labeled on the menu. I enjoyed the quinoa burger a lot. This is a great place to take people who are hesitant about typical vegan-friendly places (Thai, Indian, etc.) because they have a pretty normal NC menu, they just happen to have some awesome vegan options!

Vegan Southern BBQ, need we say more.... - Edit

The vegan southern style (vinegar based) BBQ sandwich is the stuff cravings are made of, and it comes with yummy beer battered fries, AND a pickle! We have also gotten the vegan buffalo wings, and have enjoyed those as well. This is a great place to go with family or friends who are not veg.

Pros: Fast , Friendly service, Vegan/Vegetarian Options

Wondeful menu - Edit

In some ways it is easier eating out being vegan because usually there is only one option so I don't have to decide. But here there are so many great dishes to choose from that I can never choose. Everything I've had has been great but I definitely recommend the vegan buffalo wings!

Great place to take your friends! - Edit

Their vegan offerings may be slightly limited, but they are quality. Personally, I love the Tempest Salad. The beer battered fries are also delicious. I'd also recommend sipping on the sweet tea, as they make it just perfect.

Pros: great value, quality ingredients

Cons: limited vegan options, service can be slow

lots of vegetarian options! - Edit

Multiple veg options, not just salads (unlike most places) with a wealth of interesting, tasty, well-prepared entrees that are clearly marked as veg on the menu. Staff is helpful and fast. Locally owned and LGBT-friendly. Full bar but still a family-friendly atmosphere.

Great BBQ sandwich! - Edit

Although my boyfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed what we ordered, my only suggestion is that they offer more vegan options. The vegan BBQ sandwich is wonderful and the soy chicken special my boyfriend got was super as well.

Pros: good food, friendly staff

Cons: want more vegan options

Return to Carrboro Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Spotted Dog Restaurant and Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2384 times since Oct 2007.