CLOSED: Sparkroot

Contact 520 272 8949

245 E Congress St (at downtown), Tucson, Arizona, USA, 85701

Established in fall 2011 this is a coffee bar that also serves food, wine and beer. Offers a selection of veggie and vegan breakfast items, appetizers, sandwiches, and salads. Blue Bottle brand coffee. CONFIRMED CLOSED, JAN 2017. Open Mon-Sat 7:00am-10:00pm, Sun 8:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by amarello

Real Coffee - Edit

The coffee and chai tea were great. It's a little on the expensive side and has one size drink. Many things on the menu were taped over as in we don't have it and we aren't going to have it -- including the reason we went there, Matcha latte! Oh, well, the PB&J sandwich was great and the drinks were good.

Cozy coffee place in the heart of downtown - Edit

Vegetarian but the menu is a bit cheese-heavy. I had the vegan portobello burger with salad, which was very good. My spouse had the sweet potato tacos with chèvre, purple cabbage and pico de gallo, but "veganized" with avocado instead of the chèvre. Very tasty. Excellent decaf French-roast Americano. Cozy atmosphere with easy chairs, counters with stools, and tables with chairs, scattered at street level and in an upstairs balcony-like loft.

Pros: Good food and coffee, Cozy atmosphere, varied seating options

Cons: Limited vegan options

Popular coffee spot - Edit

This place was busy everytime we walked past!
I suffered pretty bad dehydration/heat exhaustion one day (through my own fault) so we went in here to chillout. The staff were lovely- my partner got a cold coffee and they made me have a couple of cold juices and water before I could leave!
Really nice space and heard people coming in on first name terms, so it's obviously popular with locals!
Didn't get round to trying the food but I heard good things from others..

gorgeous!!! - Edit

the coffee was very good (they have real coffee not american!xD), the oatmeal with fresh fruits was just delicious and the salad with quinoa was gorgeous (as well the staff) - all I ate was vegan.
I really liked the atmosphere there, very nice/cool place to hang out..

Grilled Cheese for Grown Ups - Edit

My partner and I love this place, especially when we are attending an event downtown. We go early and enjoy gourmet grilled cheese and a glass of wine or beer. Their coffee isn't my favorite, but everything else leaves me feeling warm and fuzzy inside. I love the double cream brie, apple, walnut and fig jam sandwich with a Pinot Noir and my partner usually does a "create your own" with Welsh Cheddar, avocado and some other things I can't remember, with a beer. Somebody complained about their portions, but I think their portions are well worth the money as the food is rich and filling. But we like to save money too and often go during happy hour where most things are half priced. The staff is always friendly and the atmosphere is relaxing. Free wi-fi too.

Pros: grown up comfort food, relaxing atmosphere, friendly staff

BITTER COFFEE - Edit

You would think a coffee shop would make good coffee... but if you went here, you would be wrong. I tried their "blend" and it was too bitter to drink. I talked to the person that made it, and she tried to explain that it was strong... I LOVE strong coffee (living in New Orleans is good for strong, smooth coffee - just skip the Chicory), but this stuff was BITTER. She made me a single origin roast, and it was better but still very bitter... barely drinkable. It reminds me of Dunkin Donuts coffee.

We also had the oatmeal, which was OK, but a bit soft (overcooked), and they were skimpy with it, too. They only had almond and soy milk (no rice milk).

Pros: Location, Interior, Wifi

Cons: Bitter Coffee, Small serving, Overpriced

Unique - Edit

I have gotten coffee an iced tea several times here while killing time downtown. I love the mason jars for cold drinks.

The menu looks awesome- granola, fancy grilled cheese, kale chips! This is a perfect hip spot to take out of town guests while seeing the sights. They also have a neat flip around ipad that lets you add a tip, pay, and sign with no paper.

Pros: Location, Artsy

Nice downtown spot - Edit

Brought to you by the owner of Xoom Juice (our local smoothie shop where everything can be vegan). Small, but good, selection of beer and wine that is VERY reasonably priced. I had some wonderful kale chips, bruschetta, and hummus; my omni boyfriend enjoyed his sandwich (they have one with vegan cheese!). Everything is vegetarian and many are vegan (menu is online). Coffee is delicious and no extra charge for non-dairy milk (there were options here too). The house-made bars were really, really good too.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, good value

Cons: small

Return to Tucson Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Sparkroot closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.