CLOSED: Source

Contact 415-864-9000

11 Division St (at 8th St, Design District), San Francisco, California, USA, 94103

Menu showcases mainstream international and American comfort vegetarian and vegan food prepared using seasonal ingredients. Its very varied menu features a range of veggie burgers and sandwiches in pita pockets, raw salads, casseroles, dosas, pizzas, exilirs, tea tonics, and an assortment of vegan desserts (often including vegan twinkies). Order at the counter, the food is prepared in an open kitchen then brought to your table. JAN 2015 THIS OUTLET SHUT, CONFIRMED.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, International, Organic, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out, Fusion

First Review by xsamx

Big As... - Edit

Maybe cause I ordered a gluten dish, I felt guilty and most sauces are high in sodium to make up for the bland taste.
Letst hope there's no msg...

Pros: Outside Seating, Heating Outdoors, Self Takeout

Cons: Busy

Big on portions, variety, AND flavor - Edit

Huge portions, huge selection, everything tastes great. Vegan cashew artichoke fondue is amazing. Even if you're sick of veggie burgers, Source's is unlike any you've had before. Buffalo bites and chili fries are also great. A MUST DO for locals and visiting.veg*ns alike!

Filling and pretty good - Edit

Source is pretty good. It's not usually the place that totally interests me- standard American fare, made vegetarian or vegan. A lot of sandwiches, veggie burgers and pizzas. That said, we had a Dosadilla and it was good. It was the squash and mushroom one. The portion was quite huge and I don't think I could have eaten it all by myself. The chutney left something to be desired, but I am a chutney snob and make my own dosa and chutneys, so, ya know.....
Some of the other dosas looked good, but had a lot of soy based fake meat which I am not a fan of. IThere was one with avocado on top which I felt a bit envious of! Looking at the dishes coming up form the kitchen, it seemed like everything was huge, and very bready. But the salads also looked quite fresh and nice.

The live tacos were very tasty but disappointing, because they were very sparse. Just lettuce leaves with a light sprinkling of some kind of almond topping and a drizzle of cashew cheese. The flavour of it was wonderful, and it was nice to eat, but it could have been way better with some veggies, avocado, salsa, ect. It's very basic, it's an appetizer so I guess that it is supposed to be quite simple? Just quite a huge contrast to their other huge portions.

I took a strawberry cheesecake to go and the portion is very generous, compared to raw desserts at other places. It was delicious, but a bit too sweet. I like when the filling is a bit more tart because it balances out the sweetness of the date crust.

Pros: big portions, dosas, dessert

Cons: not a very cozy atmosphere, too much bread, raw foods need a little more work

Don't go out of your way - Edit

No atmosphere. Portions way too huge. Too spendy. No beer or wine. My one-person pizza would feed three. The plates aren't big enough to hold all the food. Our 2 person lunch was almost $40. Plus, it's next door to a furrier!

Favorite American comfort food - Edit

Source is definitely in the running for top vegan food in SF, and the best vegan classic American food anywhere. The entrees can be hit or miss, so stick to the tried-and-true classics: burgers, sandwiches, nacho fries, pizza.

The great:
Heated outdoor patio so you can bring your dog
They make their own fresh bread so it's a highlight
Homemade cashew cheese too, yum!
They serve dairy but everything can be made vegan
They now have beer and wine too

The otherwise:
You order at the counter, then sit for waiter service of your food, a little odd
The desserts are all VERY sweet
The food is quite heavy, you will be FULL
You're paying for quality so it's not cheap (~$30 dinner for 2 without drinks)

They don't offer delivery but you can call ahead for takeout. It's one of my favorite restaurants and a don't-miss for visiting veg*ns!

Pros: You can order anything vegan, Dishes you can't find anywhere else, Housemade bread and nut cheese

Cons: Sometimes stand in line to order

Great Food, Great Experience - Edit

Upon reading the other reviews I was surprised at what a bad experience people had here. When we went the owner was no where to be found and the staff were all completely friendly.

The burgers are the highlight here. Large portions, great taste and well made. I usually don't get a veggie burger because you can get them anywhere, but SOURCE has made the best burger I've ever had.

This place is a most for me whenever I'm visiting San Francisco.

Pros: Good Food, Good Service

Full hand - Edit

The portions are big, the food is very tasty, and the staff are very nice. The awesome burger tastes almost like a real hamburger. The vegan moussaka lacked the proper amount of cheese. Smoothies are like shakes.

Pros: Large portions, Tasty food, Upbeat helpful staff

Great Comfort Food. - Edit

Source was our first stop once we landed in San Francisco for vacation. My husband and I loved the comfort food for a treat. I had the pizza burger (which is available vegan), and my husband had the country shepherd’s pie. I have to admit, I stole my fair share of my husband’s shepherd’s pie. It was delicious and the portions were huge. I would definitely go back again.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Great Comfort Food

Best thing is the sweets - Edit

The sandwiches and desserts are the reasons to go here.
The rice dishes are really bad.
The salads are good, but I recommend asking for light dressing because they overwhelm the greens with oily dressings. Even when the dressings are good, they put way too much on them.
The drinks are overpriced and really not worth it.
The coffee often comes out cold. The servers are nice though and will make a fresh pot.
All the desserts are really good, some are too sweet, but I like that.

I agree with all the posts that say the owner is overwhelming. The first time we came here, it was at night and he was sitting with customers- jumping from table to table. We were really worried that he would sit with us. He is overbearing and it is off putting. We waiting almost 8 months before we braved going back and we only lived 5 blocks away. The vegan Twinkies were the reason we braved going back. We have yet to run into him again, but we only go during the day.

Overall I recommend the place, but go during the day.
Updated from previous review on Friday June 14, 2013

Pros: The bread is amazing, The vegan desserts, The salads are good

Cons: The owner is over bearing , The drinks are gross, The rice dishes are also not good

Worth a second visit...? - Edit

My husband had the burger and I had the falafel. His was very good! Mine was okay. I really wanted to love Source, but found my experience uneventful. The food was good in a reliable sort of way. The restaurant lacked warmth and was a bit cold and hard feeling on the inside. The staff however, were very friendly and helpful. I think I will need to go back to form a firmer impression of this place. I left with mixed feelings.

Pros: Friendly, helpful staff, good food, interesting options

Cons: Atmosphere lacked warmth

Source - Edit

I think I ordered the wrong entree, the truffle mac 'n' cheese - it was too rich and the flavoring was off. I couldn't really taste the truffle either, and the dish tasted like a strange chemical that I cannot put my finger on.

However, Source redeemed themselves with dessert. The chocolate covered twinkies (they called them something else) were out of this world. I was hoping to make it back to pick up more, but I did not make it...darn! I assure you that I'll be heading back here for more twinkies during my next visit, because they're that great. You should try them too!

desserts! - Edit

the desserts are beyond description. must have! honestly, they sounded exciting from when Source first opened but at the beginning were very disappointing--dry and flavorless. At some point they must have changed recipes or hired a new baker because suddenly they are moist, creamy and delicious. I was really afraid to even try them again after the first time but thought well its been some time, maybe something has changed. So glad I did. GO THERE NOW.

Also creamy fondue appetizer is super delicious as well.

Pros: dessert, extensive menu, good apps

Cons: some dishes bland

Health + food for people ignorant of both - Edit

We're high raw vegetarians and unfortunately this place missed the mark by a long way.

The ambience feels like a slightly dilapidated and faintly grotty American diner (well it did to us but we're not American so the locals may not agree), staffed by heavily tatooed hispanic immigrants who are cold, unfriendly and largely disinterested. Certainly not the upbeat, energized and enlightened vibe you should get from the kind of place they are trying to be.

The menu is an eclectic mix of various international cuisines, but they fail to pull of any of them. We had a vegetable fondue for appetisers which was oily, heavy and pretty tasteless. For entrees we had a Source Salad which was heavy, way over flavoured and smelt like someone's armpits (too much cumin), together with a noodle dish called dan dan which was totally inedible - the sparsely portioned noodles were dreadfully overcooked, as were the colourless veges on top.. and this is not to mention the flavouring, which was the worst we've encountered in a restaurant in a long time - a very far cry from the Asian tan tan noodles we assume they were trying to be. One mouthful was the most either of us could manage.

The best thing we had was the 8 vege juice but that was nothing to write home about either really. The elixir drink called esctasy made us both feel sick and even now I feel nauseous and have a massive headache - this is more than 6 hrs later.

Glad to see their vege fare is appealing to a wide audience - in that way I guess they have a place in this world, but it's certainly not a health minded foodie's cup of tea. And if you're a tourist (which we are), it's totally out of the way from anywhere you want to be as well, so definitely not worth the effort.

This is a fantastic restaurant! - Edit

My husband and I have been to Source many times now. We love the food! It is innovative and delicious. You can get anything vegan! We have brought friends and family members, and the meat eaters love it too! I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Pros: Excellent Food, Innovative, Reasonably priced

Cons: No alcohol served

Return to San Francisco Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Source closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.