First Review by Joanna Karatsaneva

excellent food and service - Edit

What a delight! First night in Sofia and we found this delightful restaurant.

Great selection , including raw food options.

Excellent service!!

And super affordable!! €35 for 2x 3 course meals & drinks!

Pros: variety , quality, service

Amazing! - Edit

Probably the best restaurant I have ever been to. Ever !
A little far from the city centre but totally worth it! Just pay attention to the restaurant's sign when looking for it as it's really discrete. But when you pass the gate... A gorgeous garden with nice music and a lovely waitress ! So precious!
We had green smoothie, avocado and olive dips, a "colorful salad", boletus risotto... all to die for ! Definitely would return there if I go back to Sofia ! And the price was really ok ! Less then EUR 30.- for two (BGN 54.-) for all mentioned above + 2 extra smoothies, 1 glass white wine and 2 raw truffles.
Simply perfect.

Pros: the food !, the staff

Cons: probably hard to find if you don't have sat nav (g

Excellent food, great selection and friendly service - Edit

I came here with a few non-vegans and we were all impressed with this place. The menu provides a great variety to choose from; from salads to pizza, pasta, specialty dishes and a good selection of starters and desserts, there are so many things to return for! I had trhe chef special (forgot the name but cashew cheese rolled in a 'pastry' while the others had the savory pancake and the Thai spring rolls which were all absolutely delicious. The spicy pepper dip was also really nice. We sat outside in the patio, and it is a really pleasant and nice atmosphere and the inside is also quite nice. Unfortunately we had no time for dessert, as we had a n appointment to get to, but I really hope I am able to make it back during my visit to try more of his delicious kitchen- If I lived here, I would be a regular! The waitress was also very welcoming and kind, they had English menus for us to peruse and was prompt with bringing us water to drink on our arrival. I was really happy with choosing Soul Kitchen as one of the restaurants to eat while in Sofia, while also impressing those around me with something a bit out of the ordinary. Definitely recommend this place!

Amazing restaurant ! - Edit

After trying a lot of vegan restaurants in Sofia and around the world I can defininetly say that Soul Kitchen is one of the best. Every time I get the chance to go to Sofia (even for a few hours) I come back to this amazing place. The indoor part is very cozy and classy, and the garden/outdoor part is peaceful. The food is exquisite and the menu changes often. I almost tried everything and believe me, everything is delicious. The desserts are different every time but the chocolate-banana cake is to die for !

Pros: Amazing food, prices, place

Cons: the staff could be friendlier

A must when in Sofia! - Edit

OK, where do I start? This is the best vegan place I've even been to! The food was so great! Their vegan pizza might be my favourite pizza now, I would eat it everyday, and not only was it delicious, but it also tasted quite healthy. I also got a green smoothie, and let me say this – I hate watery smoothies, and Soul Kitchen smoothie was just as thick as a smoothie should be. We also got some cake and some soup, and everything was very good. My husband even liked their coffee, and he is super-duper picky when it comes to coffee. The waitress was very friendly, most kind and attentive.
The only 'disadvantage' (please mind the quotes) is the location, you have to walk a little bit to get there, but when you do... Oh my god, the food definitely is worth the walk! And if you like quite places, then The Soul Kitchen is definitely for you, it feels almost like you are somewhere in the countryside.

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Location

Cons: Location

Excellent food, great atmosphere - Edit

Great vegan place, decently priced, the staff is super friendly and the atmosphere is relaxed.
We had dinner for two : we shared a salad, a pizza and a risotto plus a bottle of red wine for 70 BGN. I recommend it and I plan on visiting it every time I'm in Sofia. Thank you!

Pros: Original yummy recipes , Cool atmosphere , Friendly staff

Love restaurant, lovely food! - Edit

My partner and I recently stayed in Sofia for a few days - and we didn't realise before booking that it was Easter (as Orthadox countries celebrate a week later than other countries) - and most places are closed over the whole Easter weekend. I found a few places on Happy Cow and then looked them up on Facebook and messaged them to ask if they were open (after searching for one for a very long time by foot and finding it was close - we didn't want to risk trying our luck again).

Soul Kitchen replied to my message quite quickly and told me they were open on Easter Saturday so we decided to go there for lunch. It was quite a walk as it was not in the center and when my boyfriend said we were close and we were walking down what looked like a very residential area I thought we must be lost and then we saw the sign! I was so happy!

When we walked inside I loved the decor of the place instantly! Very nice restaurant :) The girl at the service desk wasn't overly friendly when we arrived - not sure if this is the Bulgarian way? As we encountered a few service staff like this (but then we had some amazing friendly service in some places too?) - Anyway she warmed up over the duration we were there and seemed more friendly towards the end. The other server was quite friendly though.

We ordered Entree's of apple beetroot & rocket salad & baked polenta with tomato sauce - both were really good and the sauce on the baked polenta was SUPER delicious!!! For main my boyfriend ordered the truffle pasta and I ordered the Thai curry - both were not bad, but I think lacked a little flavour. Not as impressive as the entree, but not too bad either.

Dessert we had the chocolate-vanilla cake and it was really good! We also had cuppacino's - which was a real treat as I haven't had a coffee since we've travelling for the last couple of months as most places don't serve dairy-free milk! It was quite good :)

Overall a good experience and I would definitely go back here if I came back to Sofia :) Very nice ambience - the restaurant decor was one of my favourite things!!

Pros: Restaurant Decor, Entree, Dessert & Coffee

Cons: Main Meal, A little out of the centre

Best Vegan Cakes - Edit

Had heard a lot about this place, so finally visited it. Only tried the cakes of the day - one with strawberry and the other with pumpkin. The best vegan deserts I have tried! I am not a huge fan of the raw ones with lots of nuts. The ones I tried were just like the cakes I used to eat as a kid, but without the animal products. Super tasty and filling! Would be coming back for some of the other dishes on the menu!

Pros: Amazing food, Stylish and relaxed atmosphere , Great location

Cons: Staff not super friendly , The garden was closed

My favourit - Edit

This is my favorite place! Exellent food, really nice atmosphere and staff and again exellent meals which perfectly fits in my tastes for good food!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday March 18, 2015

Updated from previous review on Wednesday March 18, 2015

Amazing Desserts, Nice Atmosphere! - Edit

We arrived when the kitchen was closing and the owner graciously stirred up some food for us last minute, (very delicious)! Unfortunately we did not get the chance to try any mains since we came late, but they sounded delicious. The hummus and gaucomole dips with raw crackers that we did have were excellent! We tried the “cheesecake” which was basically as good as the dairy version. We can also recommend the raw banana “icecream”! This cute place appears to be family run, with a relaxed, warm, inviting atmosphere, a great garden in the back. I definitely recommend it even based on our rushed experience! The prices were very reasonable, and the food fresh and tasty.

Pros: Desserts!, Atmosphere, Fresh & Healthy Options

Really awesome restaurant - Edit

Going into Bulgaria, and being vegan, I was forewarned that I would be hard pressed to find something tasty. This was a total lie. There were like 5 vegan/vegan-friendly restaurants within a mile radius of where I was staying, but of them, Soul Kitchen was very obviously the best. It's not the cheapest (meal including appetizer/food/drink is about 20 lev = $14), but they have a cute little garden, a really well designed restaurant, and the food is really, really good. I was in sofia for like 5 or 6 days and came here 3 times. It's also a great little date restaurant - the date I went on with someone, I brought her here. Very highly recommended. (also, note that the directions that maps give for this place isn't quite right. You want to make sure that your on Kokiche, not an alley off of Sinchets)

Pros: Super Tasty, Friendly Staff, Great little garden

Cons: Moderate prices

Fabulous Vegan Food - Do Not Miss In Sofia - Edit

This is one of three standout places on my trip. It was so good that it is actually one of my favorite places I have eaten ever. In a city with a lot of vegan options, this one stands head and shoulders above them all. To start it is on a cute little side street and the decor is great. Nice wooden floors, cool furniture and furnishings. (Side note: it also has one of the coolest sinks in the bathroom, not to mention soap dispenser and light switch. Yes, this place is so awesome even a soap dispenser stands out.)

I had three courses; beet carpacio with pesto, fettuccine with parsley, garlic and black truffles, and chocolate cake (i am sure there were more details but this was all I was able to take away). All three were without equal and the portions were perfect. The menu is in English so you can get full details. Desserts change daily so they can tell you about these. Wait staff speaks English, some better than others (thus all i got was chocolate cake which was enough info for me) but everyone is super nice and really care that you enjoy your meal. The joy they had at hearing how much I loved it was really so very sweet. The menu is all vegan and just overflowing with wonderful sounding choices. I wish I had been in Sofia longer as I would have gone back. it is not cheap, but nor is it too expensive. I would call it moderate. But for the caliber and quality of food, absolutely a great deal. The presentation was gorgeous as well. This was one of my favorite meals in three weeks of travel. Absolutely delicious.

Pros: Menu Options, Delicious, Fresh, High Quality Food, Decor/Atmosphere

Delicious food but expensive - Edit

I ate dinner here on my last day in Sofia. I appreciated the complimentary tap water. I ordered the shiitake kebab which when it came resembled a shiitake mushroom and pea stew with basmati rice. I was a bit surprised and the waiter noticed I was surprised and asked if it was what I was expecting. I said no because I had thought it would be more a kebab although I suppose from the description mentioning peas, I should have known it would not be a kebab. Despite not being what I was expecting, the food was delicious. Although it did seem as though the dish was mostly sauce and rice. It would be great if the dish had less sauce. As I was eating a nice woman maybe the owner or manager came to check up on me. I'm not sure if the kebab was a misprint in the menu, but it might be nice to let people know in advance when they order.

Soul Kitchen is the most expensive vegetarian restaurant in Sofia. Also, I think a main course is not enough to be full. There is no menu in English, but they speak English there, and they have wifi and the menu is in English online.

The restaurant has two rooms and was very nicely decorated. I enjoyed my meal there. I think they might be the only restaurant in Sofia that has raw food.

Update:
I have decided to add an additional star, because it was one of the best meals, I ate in Sofia. Also when I looked at the menu originally, the pasta dishes seemed boring, but on looking again I noticed that they have gluten-free pasta which is nice.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday December 31, 2013

Pros: Delicious food, Some raw options

Cons: Expensive

Quiet and beautiful escape from the city hustle - Edit

You will find this nice restaurant on a small street, a bit off the city centre.

The atmosphere is warm and cosy.
Designed in a great combination of Old and New.

The menu is vegan,some raw dishes too.
Gluten free and organic/bio food.

The prices seems high ,but they offer free filtered water and even it is not said especially, most of the dishes are prepared with organic ingredients.

We took 3 different dishes,all was tasty.

PROVENCE SALAD, tasty
SHIITAKE KEBAP,the best dish we ate
BIRYANI RICE-interesting combination,but the coco taste was kind of weird.

Good service.

This place is a must to visit.
Enjoy
Updated from previous review on Tuesday January 14, 2014

Pros: Vegan,Organic,Gluten free food, Good service, Quiet atmosphere

Cons: high prices

Return to Sofia Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Soul Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3766 times since Aug 2013.