Souen - Union Square

Contact 212-627-7150

28 E 13th St (at 13 St, Union Square, Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10003

Serves meat, vegan options available. Fish and vegetarian food. Prices are moderate to expensive. Nice dining room and food presentation. Mon-Sat 11:00am-10:30pm, Sun 11:00am-10:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by JenniferF

Tasty Vegan Macro Food! Iffy Service - Edit

The description should really say fish and vegan food, since all of their vegetarian food is vegan. When my fiance and I went we tried the squash tofu and vegetable curry. They were both very flavorful without being spicy. I'm not crazy about brown rice, but didn't think it was too bad when mixed with the delicious veg dishes. However, the service was a bit iffy. We got there around 3:45pm on a Saturday, they told us that that dinner service would be starting around 4:30 and they needed the chef to come to be able to serve anything more than soups or salad. We came back a bit after 4:30 and the chef still wasn't there yet... we walked around and went back at 5 (they seemed really happy we came back), only to find out they didn't offer sushi on the weekends. I don't get why they didn't just close for an hour like other places do between lunch and dinner shifts. The servers were kind and polite, though. I'd still like to go back and try their green dragon roll, but I might try their other location, or will get there earlier when they're still serving lunch.

Pros: delicious food, kind staff

Cons: no sushi on weekends

WILL NOT BE COMING BACK ANYTIME SOON... - Edit

TOTAL LACK OF RESPECT FOR LIFE LONG PATRON AND VEGETARIAN

ok. this was quite a frustrating experience. i've been dining at the different souens around the area for quite a long time. i walked in today to get a vegan meal. the woman, who later revealed herself as the manager, brought me to the sushi bar to eat. i then told her that i am a life long vegan for the most part and would rather not sit at the sushi bar in front of all the seafood on ice. the woman sighed. i asked to be moved, and when i suggested an open table for two she told me that it was not reserved per se, but rather one person is not enough for that two-person table. imagine this!! then she said that i could have the table but if a two person party came in i would have to move myself and my meal back to the sushi bar!! i told her that i have been going to souen forever. she did not care. i asked for the manager. she was it. so i left hungry and frustrated. i mean there food certainly isn't good enough to take that level of disrespect. they ain't the soup nazi! lol.

Pros: macrobiotic

Cons: bad service

ONE OF THE BEST in the World! - Edit

If you enjoy macrobiotic food, this is the place to go! I've probably been there 700times! ANd often I'd get the same things.... their grain of the day tends to be delicious, their steamed veggies with either the carrot dressing or the miso-tahini dressing are just Divine! And that food keeps you going for hours.
It's truly heavenly.
The place is beautiful, service is really good, staff is sooo nice, and it's often busy, so sometimes (especially for dinner) you'll have to wait for table.
Great for brunch too.
Give it a try you won't regret it. And definitely get one of the vegan cookies or (better yet) carob-carob-chip scones! Yum! Dipped into some of their grain coffee with soy milk sweetened with maple, omg, nothing better in a cold ny day. :)

Pros: great food, beautiful place, great dressings and specials

Cons: busy

Serendipity! - Edit

Stumbled upon this restaurant on a cold rainy miserable night before a movie. Cute cozy place with a Japanese tinge. Remember to get one or two of those vegan cookies before leaving, they are SO good!!

Pros: reasonably priced, nice ambiance, great cookies

go back again and again - Edit

Souen is one of my favorite restaurants. and probably my favorite macro places. Very comfortable and feel welcome there, and love that it's often busy. A New York classic. I do need to try some new dishes but some things are so delish I get them again and agin. They have such a huge selection, and it's often overwhelming to choose with all of their daily specials.

Pros: good price, wide selection, great to dine alone

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Souen - Union Square closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3199 times since Aug 2007.