Seward Cafe

Contact 612-332-1011

2129 E Franklin Ave, Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA, 55404

Serves meat, vegan options available. A small cafe in the Seward neighborhood offering breakfast, lunch, dinner, and late night snacks. The menu is vegetarian and vegan with the option of adding or substituting organic meat on some dishes. Meat is cooked and stored separately from veg. Live music on occasion. Accepts local checks. Open Mon 7:00am-12:00am, Wed-Fri 7:00am-12:00am, Sat-Sun 8:00am-12:00am.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Kosher, Non-veg

First Review by condekedar

Fun and tasty comfort food - Edit

If it's a hot Summer day, it will be hot inside as well due to the lack of air conditioning. There is seating outside in the backyard. The food is too good to let the heat of the environment deter me. I've had several items - all very good.

Nothing but love for Seward - Edit

Ever since coming here for the first time I have loved it and I would rate this five stars if I could. Some people may not like the ambience of it or may be confused their first time there, but I like that it's relaxed and you don't feel rushed, and their vegetarian/vegan options are very clearly marked. The self order/self serve is cool too. My favorite is the Wizard Burger. Their vegan Mac and cheese is also AMAZING (thanks to the homemade cheese sauce) and for non-vegans the Seward's Torta is delicious. Everything I have tried here has not disappointed, including the bakery items they have available (many of them vegan). Definitely come to Seward.

Pros: Food, Atmosphere, Vegan options

Contributions +14

very funky!!! - Edit

Great vibe about the place! I was just in town for a minute and found this place via my happy cow app. Great vegan menu selection, amazing coffee, and a very comfortable place to hang out. Had hash browns, tofu with vegan cheese. A little greasy but very good. If I get back to Minneapolis I would definitely stop back in!

Awesome breakfast - Edit

Hearty, delicious food. Great breakfasts. Bottomless coffee. Large tables. Nice ambiance. You can easily sub in vegan options on most items. Highly recommended.

Pros: bottomless coffee, awesome "earth breakfast" menu item, great vegan french toast

Best Vegetarian Cafe south of I-94 - Edit

Seward Cafe is a delightful, cozy little cafe located close to the light rail.

While they have meat on their menu, they do cook it separately. This place has bottomless coffee, a broad menu, outdoor seating, beer, and one of the best freeboxes around. As a worker-owned business, you can be confident that the employees are not being exploited. Seward's menu is fairly solid, with lots of organic and locally-sourced food options. You're lucky if you live close by, because this spot is just about the perfect neighborhood cafe.

Pros: Delicious cold-pressed coffee, Locally-sourced tempeh, Charming and unique environment

Cons: Serves meat, Can get busy, especially on the weekends, Evening shows can get loud

Healthiest, freshest organic vegan food in MSP! - Edit

NEEDS 5 Stars, even tho serve some meat! For the freshest, healthiest, tastiest versions of your favorite vegan dishes, this is THE place! Vegetarian/Vegan. Staff very supportive of vegans. Love the outdoor seating and gardens. Use rain-catcher to water garden. Self-dubbed "home of free speech". Very affordable.
Updated from previous review on Saturday May 23, 2015

Pros: Amazingly fresh food., Vegan, Veg + Carnivore., Great vegan takes on classic treats.

Cons: Can't think of any!

Tasty - Edit

I have been here a few times now. The food has been consistently good. My favorite, at the moment, is the root stirfry. I am also in love with the bakery case which almost always has a tasty vegan treat or two. The jupiter bar is great. I will be back.

I'll Be Back - Edit

Showed up early one morning to find a rabbit enjoying the community garden out back. I was impressed by the funky but functional set up. The back porch was chill. I had some great coffee and the vegan biscuits and gravy deluxe with garlic and broccoli. It was just what I was in the mood for. It is also a cooperative so cheers to them.
Updated from previous review on Monday February 13, 2012
Updated from previous review on Monday February 13, 2012

Pros: Funky, Tasty, Unique

art-mazing but food questionable - Edit

I got the Green Earth (hashbrowns, tofu instead of eggs, topped with steamed broccoli). It was very, very greasy, bland and made me feel not-so-good. On the other hand, the coffee was good and the art on the walls was freakin' amazing. I spent the duration of my breakfast in the art-imagination-land of happy thoughts while staring at the crazy gruesome and colorful clowns, aliens and skulls. I will go back again and pick something new from the menu.

Pros: art awesome, good coffee

Cons: greasy, dirty

An Icon & Co-op - Edit

I love Seward Cafe, and have for three decades. Though no longer 100% veg*n, it mostly is in practice, and completley is for us. Not fancy food, but some of the best taste and quality around. Egalitiarian approach means be your own wait staff - order at the bar, pick up at the kitchen, then bus your own dishes. It's a great experience. Weekend breakfast is like a party! Yum!

Pros: Quality, Generous portions, new experiences

Cons: none

Great Breakfast Place - Edit

My wife loves her Vegan Fluffy pancakes every time and I order a tempeh scramble and I like it. The place is generally clean. Their choice of sides including tahini and beets is nice. The whole breakfast always is little on the pricy side. They tend to keep all sides charged as extra. It is a nice atmosphere to spend the morning though the crowd is not as ethnically diverse.

Pros: Good Food, Nice ambience

Cons: Little Pricy

Good, but not great - Edit

Seward Cafe is a good companion to Hard Times Cafe, but doesn't comes close to matching HTC's atmosphere and food. For one thing, the crowd at Seward is less diverse ethnically, but equally as punker as HTC. The food is low-priced and pretty decent, but there's meat on the menu (unlike HTC), and I don't think the dishes are nearly as creative as HTC. Seward focuses on greasy-spoon items---I liked their tofu mock muffin, which is a vegan alternative to egg McMuffins. During the summer Seward has dishes with local produce, which might improve my subsequent rating. We'll see.

Pros: Prices, Breakfast foods

Cons: Not 100% vegetarian, Atmosphere, Hours

Return to Minneapolis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Seward Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2667 times since Aug 2007.