First Review by Krishna Mulder

A Culinary Tour of India - Edit

Out in Surrey late one evening. It’s 8:30 and Happy Cow tells me Satya Asha is nearby. I called to ask if the kitchen was still open and am told, “we’ll wait for you.” And thank God they did. It was amazing!
Their menu is reasonably priced. The service is good. Atmosphere is clean. It feels like a nice small upper class family restaurant from Delhi.

I have made it a habbit to ask my server, where is your chef from? If he’s from the South, I’ll order lots of Sambar etc. If he’s from the north, then I adjust accordingly and so on. I want the recipes that they learnt from their grandma. The subtleties come out in the food. I pleasantly surprised that they have a South Indian cook for the food from the south, a North Indian for food from the North, etc. 6 chefs in the back, each working his own style of magic.
Perplexed as to which region of India to order from, I mixed it up. A full tour of India! Even including some chow mein for the experience of the Chinese community living there! Each dish was better than the next! The dosa was crispy and the masala perfectly spiced. There was even cashews in it. I’ve only seen that at the nicest of restaurants in Chennai.
The dokla from Northern India was moist and so light that it melted in my mouth. Each dish was better than the next! You can not go wrong here. I have lived and travelled extensively through India. This is the real deal!
My server said there was no way I’d be able to finish all the food I ordered. But I wanted to test them. Each dish was authentically made. And to her surprise and mine alike, I just couldn’t stop eating.

It was a great experience! I’d highly recommend this restaurant to anyone asking.
The service was excellent! The owner quietly peaking in on us just to be sure we didn’t need anything. The staff all on their tippy toes ensuring our glasses of water were always full etc.

This place is certainly worth a visit. Order something you’ve never tried before. You’ll be happy you did. Order your favorite dish. They’ll match your expectations. And when she suggests the Raja Kachori, say yes. It’s like a pani puri on steroids.

Satya Asha is now my favorite place in Surrey. I just need a new excuse to get out there.

Pros: Everything

Cons: Smaller size. They will need to expand.

Return to Surrey Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Satya Asha Veggie Food World closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2144 times since Aug 2011.