Saras - Pattaya

Contact +66-038424769

Royal Garden Plaza, 3rd floor, 218 Moo 10, Beach Rd, Pattaya, Thailand, 20260

Saras, whose name stems from Sanskrit meaning "with juice," offers an extensive menu that encompasses 200+ dishes ranging from a cross-selection of Indian regional delicacies including Indian-Chinese and Thai vegetarian food. It's quick service style with Wi-Fi. Its flagship outlet is in Bangkok. Open Mon-Sun 8:30am-10:30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Thai, Fast food, Juice bar, Delivery, Catering

First Review by reissausta ja ruokaa

A little expensive but super tasty - Edit

The samosas are really good - get them !! :)
The place is lovely but clearly they need some management! The waiter was absent and didn't have any proper waiter properties whatsoever, the menu has 262819 items on it and none of the dishes are explained other than their Indian dish names. Me and my girlfriend sat there and googled the dishes to find out what it actually meant.
When we got our food we were happy. So this place has some good, some bad to it.
The price is quite high for a thai place. We were two people and paid 920 baht, the most we've paid anywhere in Thailand for several weeks of eating out every day.

Great place, a bit expensive - Edit

Saras is a really nice vegetarian place with lots of vegan options. Restaurant is located right in the center of Pattaya, in Royal Garden Plaza (accessible from both Beach and Second roads), on the last 4th floor. There is a buffet, main hall and outside terrace with sea view available (smoking is allowed). There is no vegan signs/marks in menu, but you can always ask a waiter. Food is delicious, level of service is high and prices a bit too. Anyway I love to go there once in a while.

Pros: delicious Indian food, location and view, atmosphere and service

Cons: high prices

Good Meal - Edit

When we were planing our recent trip to Thailand we saw this place recommended on Happycow and thought to give it a go. We also tried their outlet in Bangkok.

Both times the food was very good. Combo platter with rice and curries plus side of samosas.

worth the price for delicious indian food - Edit

I had the thali plate (small servings of various curries with rice, naan and dessert). Absolutely delicious. Full of flavour. Not oily. Perfect blend of flavours. If we stayed in Pattaya we would have gone back to explore the vast menu.

Pros: delicious

Cons: expensive

Not really my place - Edit

I´m new in Pattaya and since more than 20 years strictly vegan. Friends told me about Happy Cow and so I installed the App and looked for restaurants. My hotel is in the 2nd street and so Saras was nearest and therefore my first target.
As European, I´m Swiss, Indian food is not really want I prefer. Other kitchens are rather poor represented in this place. I also was not really looking for something like self service, fast food or buffet style. As recommended by the reviewer Kelly Kelly I tried the samosas, his comment is correct, they are really good. Beside the fried vegetable combination I couldn´t find some Thai food that pleased me. This one was also o.k.
It may be a fine place for Indian customers, they know their dishes, but for me the selection is very poor and not recommendable for europeans.

Pros: Good Location, Nice view

Cons: Menu not easy for europeans, Self service

Very good and expensive - Edit

I love this place, it's the best Indian one I visited here in Pattaya. They have asterisks in the menu that say "Jaine food is available on request" ("Jaine" is approximately Indian for "vegan", read wikipedia for more info) and you can always ask the waiter that you want all of your food "Jaine" and they'll recommend you what to order and you'll probably be sure that nothing contains milk/butter/cheese/eggs. In practically any other Indian place (outside India itself, I've never been there yet), you almost never can be sure about butter (some places I'd known used it for just everything, making them the most useless type of "vegetarian" places sometimes).

One relatively bad thing is that there are not much of English words in the menu and not much pictures (check the pictures), but if you know thing or two about Indian food (like, know the difference between pulao and biryani :) ) you'll not get completely lost — they all at least are typed in latin script.

I always eat yellow dahl and something with rice (like veg. pulao, or just plain rice and some veggies) and some naans, everything always was fresh and hot and am always satisfied. Service was quick too, staff was every friendly.

Another bad thing is the prices. They really are expensive (guess it's the location). For example, plain rice costs 90 baht! (~$3, street price for plain rice is usually 10-20 baht, even in places with overpriced beer). The smallest naan costs 30 baht but you usually need two of them. I almost never left the place without paying, like 900-1400 baht for a modest dinner (two persons) and apart from the popular location they are not that fancy. So most of the times, I prefer Thai place instead (usually the one which is semi-J, while its location is worse, it's cheaper and feels better).

On the other hand, location makes them easy to reach even if don't know anything about Pattaya, every taxi driver/guide/local can tell you where Royal Garden Plaza (or Ripley's) is. Recommend this place for those who just arrived and is very hungry while having no time to walk and search for other places (and still have money :) ).

Pros: Very tasty Indian food, Has sort of vegan labeling, Friendly staff

Cons: Very expensive, I mean very

Ups and Downs - Edit

Here is a mixed review for you all.
First of all the location. In a way both locations listed might be right because it is in a mall that reaches all the way from beach road to 2nd road that is why the confusion.
Your best bet find the Ripley's Belive it Or Not and go to the next floor above it (3rd)
Edit > nope when I looked again I see that the beach road directions are way off. The marker is way to far north. The mall is south of Soi 13. If you are looking along the 2nd road side just look for the tail end of an airplane crashed into a building. go through the doors below the plane.

Ups
Lovely location > the balcony looks out over the ocean but high enough up to be away from the hustle and bustle at street level.
Clean
The samosas are up there with best I have ever had with two superb dipping sauces! And only 20 baht each ($0.66 USA) I would go back just to have a samosa feast!

Downs
I tried to find out if the veggie burger came with a whole grain bun. Couldn't understand what the not so friendly waiter was talking about in his answer but thought I would risk > mistake!
One of my pet peeves is these restaurants that put a veggie burger on their menu but have no consciousness of the fact that most vegetarians eat healthy and have zero interest in white flour. So they do not offer a healthy whole grain bun. Many a time I have eaten a veggie burger on a couple of slices of wheat bread if the place has even that.
Well Sara's in another one of those places. A big thick doughy white bun. I had a couple of bits and the bun dominated the taste. So I through away the bun so I could eat the thin little burger inside. Oh my god it was disgusting. I have been know to eat some crappy stuff rather than waste food but it this case I left what was left uneaten on my plate.
That was all I had from the menu > so one big highlight and one big failure. So I cannot speak for the rest of the menu.
Another down was the prices, they are all over the map from inexpensive like the samosas to crazy high North American prices, but we are here in Thailand.
No one asked how anything was, the food was dropped off and then they disappeared. (No water offered). That was the last I saw of them until I finally went to the front desk to find some one to pay so I could leave.

Pros: Fantastic Samosas!!!

Cons: veggie burger, Wait staff dropped food and disappeared, Prices are inconsistent.

Saras Royal Garden Plaza - Edit

I was pleasantly surprised by how vast its menu is, I've been there several times and will continue to eat there, the menu has no picture images which doesn't help the new customers especially non english speakers / readers, but the quality of the food is excellent, prices are very moderate, I recommend the marsala dosa, yum! I'm still working my way through the menu

Pros: Great Location , Vast Menu, Great Tastes

Cons: Menu Images Missing

2 Responses

Tasty Indian And Asian Food - Edit

The restaurant says it's fast food but they have waiter service. It just looks a bit like a cafeteria

There is a huge menu of mostly Indian vegetarian dishes but also with a reasonable selection of Chinese and Thai food.

We had a mutter paneer and the malati malai dishes. Both had too much sauce compared to the contents but both very tasty. The kashmiri naan was crisp and the mixed veg kebab dish has large chunks of paneer and other veg. There are many dishes I have never heard of so it was fun trying a few. To finish I had the Masala Pepsi to drink which was unusual and distinctive!

Currently the location is incorrect on the map and is on Pattaya 2nd Road in the Sun City building.

Prices are reasonable, most dishes around 150-200 Baht. The restaurant was quite empty when I visited on a Saturday evening

Pros: Vast Menu, Quick.service

Cons: Lack Of Ambience, Too Saucy!

good south indian - Edit

In the Happy Cow map this restaurant isn´t exately on the right location, because Sara´s it´s in the Pattaya 2nd Road, not that close to beach at the map indicates.

This was more expensive than 5 Star Jay or Kitchen Jay, but if you want to have south indian food it is a great place to have it.

I had a masala dosa (I had to ask it with no butter) and got a very big one. I also ordered a mango juice and got a freshly blended one made of fresh mangoes (no Maaza!).

Pros: big dosas, fresh mango juice

Cons: a bit expensive

A regular spot - Edit

This is one of my favorite hang outs in Pattaya. Great Indian veg*n food at reasonale cost.

Return to Pattaya Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Saras - Pattaya closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3731 times since Apr 2012.