rOOTS

Contact 2310268063

ΜΠΑΛΑΝΟΥ 4-6, Thessaloniki, Greece, 54623

Vegetarian cafe opened Mar 2015. Drinks served from open to 1pm, and then food service. Serves veggie fast food including burgers, hot dogs, salads. Plenty of seating. Open Mon-Sun 12:00am-3:00am, Mon-Sun 10:00am-12:00am.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Western, Fast food, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by itzjac

Good Food, Welcoming Staff - Edit

Had the gyro and potatoes, friend had the tacos. Both good and very filling. Nice intimate atmosphere. Lots of different options on the menu and inexpensive. Would definitely return.

Pros: different items

Proper food - Edit

There is one Vegetarian dish in the menu, everything else is Vegan! I had the Gyros with the hands cut chips, and all I can say is that it's proper food; good sized portions and lots of flavour. The chocolate cake is outstanding, rich, aromatic and food with pink pepper corns. Prices are fair and not excessive given the very high quality. If you're a Vegan in Thessaloniki this must be the place.

Pros: Almost entirely Vegan. Tasty. Friendly. Cool music

Cons: ?

Amazing food! - Edit

A must go if you find yourself in Greece as a tourist. The gyros is fabulous, but the portion is too big for one person, please try the croquettes with the vegan cheese dip, they are TO DIE FOR, I am so happy i found this place. Highly, Highly recommend!

Pros: food is delicious, portions are huge

Cons: a bit pricy, (which is to be expected in Vegan res

Nice place - Edit

I had the gyros.

It was a little too salty, which I saw was also mentioned previously. I hope the owner reads his/her happy cow reviews!

Apart from that, the place is cozy, and I will return for the salad option. They have vegan chocolate cake too.

Pros: nice vibe

Cons: gyros too salty

Nice atmosphere and excellent food - Edit

I was really hungry when I arrived at that place and ordered the springrolls and the veggie gyros and I really had to struggle to finish everything.
The springrolls were okay so nothing really special but the gyros was really awesome! Not very cheap but okay for the portion you get. The members of staff were super friendly and the atmosphere was really nice! Definitely worth a visit!

great place - Edit

best gyros i had in a long time. not especially cheap, but big plates and fair pricing. good quality! e.g. the best veggie-place in thessaloniki. :-)

kitchen starts at 13:00/1pm

Pros: gyros, food, atmosphere

Cool place, awesome food!! - Edit

We ate both lunch and dinner there. Almost everything is vegan or can be made vegan. We had Seitan-Gyros, Falafel, a Burger and fantastic salads (heavenly dressings)! Aaaand... a vegan chocolate cake!! Also drink choice a great (soy frappe - greek coffee speciality, homemade lemonade,..). Appetizers ~5.-, main courses ~6-8.- We would go there many more times!

Pros: many vegan options, great music, friendly staff

definitly terrible! - Edit

hello, we went to eat there for our last night in thessaloniki.
We first order nems and half liter of red wine. The bil for the wine was 10 eur!!!! and to excuse this price, it was serve with some cheap tapas.
the plate of three differents mushrooms was not so bad, but all the mushrooms tasted the same with a poor balsamic sauce on them. So not so much taste, not good coocked.
The guy told us that the mayonaise was vegan ( not sure finally), so we order the greek soja pitta gyros.
It was terrible. Too salty ( but really salty!!) the soya was burned and just a piece of tomato inside. The potatoes with the pitta was just normal, boiled. No flavour.
[edit by staff - see ToS]
FOR THE VEGAN, DON't GO THERE. Almost every plate have cheese! It's too expensive for this quality.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday November 25, 2015

My favourite place in Thessaloniki - Edit

I've been to Thessaloniki for a few days and had some problems figuring out where to eat. This place was definitely the best one. It's a pity I went there on my last day or I would've come back for sure. Friendly staff, inexpensive prices, great veg burgers, nice atmosphere.

really good, many vegan options - Edit

i red the two reviews before me and i guess that this place changed and got better because when me and my friends ate there (we are all vegans) most of the menu got vegan options , i took vegan gyrus , my friend took the vegan hamburger and also the veg spring roll and it all was so good and big and delicious it came with baked crispy potatoes, definitely if i will pass again in Thessaloniki i will eat there again .

Needs improvement - Edit

Have been there twice. Nice ambience and good music and good Wi-Fi.
First time I ordered a plate with three different kinds of grilled (or fried) mushrooms. Since I love mushrooms this option was quite tempting. Sadly it wasn't very good. The mushrooms were partially burnt and due to that dry and crispy. Maybe it's just me, but in my opinion mushrooms are not supposed to be crispy. They came with a balsamic vinegar sauce, not really my taste, but that was somewhat OK anyway. However, the bread that came with it was good. All in all rather disappointing, since the mushrooms were no relish and the whole arrangement rather poor.
The second time I took grilled vegetables in white wine and a cherry juice. Vegetables were fine but not exiting at all, but bland and dull. Juice was horrible. First thing you sit down they give you a bottle with tap water and a glass - unless you don't want anything alcoholic, you should stick with it. The so-called juice basically was sugar water with colour (besides, overpriced).
Then, after ordering the bill the waiter, instead coming and take the money (and give change), ignored me. After more than ten minutes I decided to go and leave him the change as (undeserved) tip.
Sadly there are not many decent out-eating options in Thessaloniki yet.
Updated from previous review on Thursday April 23, 2015

Needs a little work on Vegan Options.. - Edit

My partner and I have been in Thessaloniki for two days - previously Athens for a few days - so we have been quite spoiled eating at the veggie restaurant 'Avocado' in Athens for a few days before getting here - if you are in Athens I highly recommend going there, everything is delicious!!

We decided to try rOOTS on our first night here and I ordered the veggie burger in the vegan option (so no mayonnaise - tomato sauce was put on instead) and my partner (not vegan) ordered the pasta. We had the spring rolls to share as entree too. The spring rolls were not too bad - nothing amazing, just your standard mini spring roll with sweet chilli sauce. My partner really enjoyed his pasta - it looked good - decent portion and had lots of olives, fresh cherry tomatoes and feta cheese through it. My burger on the other hand was quite dry - the patty I am quite sure was not home-made - it looked like one of those potato-based ones you buy in the frozen section of the supermarket. The bread was quite dry and the whole burger itself lacked flavour. Because we had been travelling most of the day I hadn't eaten much so I was really hungry so it filled the gap but wasn't overly tasty. The burger came with 4 roast potatoes (listed on the menu as 'mashed tomatoes' - which they weren't really) and no sauce - no vegan butter or vegan sauce of any kind - just some tomato sauce on the side - which is not something I would eat roast potatoes with so they were a little dry. I decided to order some hommus which I ate with the potatoes and gave them a bit more flavour.

Another quite disappointing thing for me was that none of the items on the menu were labelled as 'vegan' - so I had to ask about all of the items to determine which could be made vegan - I found this quite strange for a vegetarian restaurant. There were very few vegan options on the menu at all.

Also when you walk in you are in the main area of the restaurant where the bar is too and everyone is smoking down there and if you want non-smoking you have to go upstairs - even though you can still smell the smoke upstairs and the upstairs area is much smaller with less seating - very strange for me (not sure if this is normal in Greece, but I don't find the smell of smoke pleasant while eating).

The staff were friendly and helpful and the restaurant itself has nice decor and a good feel (other than the smoking).

Overall I think there is potential, they are a new restaurant so hopefully with time they will improve:)

Pros: Decor, Location , Staff

Cons: Vegan items not labelled, Food a little dry / bland, Smoking inside

Return to Thessaloniki Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has rOOTS closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.