CLOSED: Roastfish and Cornbread

• Veg-friendly

Contact 843-342-2996

70 Marshland Rd, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, USA, 29926

Serves meat, vegan options available. Uses fish and exotic meats like alligator. Also offers a list of vegetarian dishes. BYOB. FEB 2015 REPORTED SHUT, MAYBE RELOCATES.

Category: Caribbean, Southern American, Non-veg

First Review by Michael B

Thoughtful but Uninspired - Edit

I really appreciate that this place has a separate vegan menu and perhaps set my expectations too high as a result. It seems most menu items are akin to what you might get in a prepared foods cold case at the grocery store: chilled pre-made grain salads and such. I enjoy the funky interior decor, but the overwhelming fish aroma and "meh" veg food aren't enough to bring me back.

Pros: dedicated vegetarian menu

Cons: cool food focus, $11+ per item

unfortunate experience - Edit

I was so excited to choose from the many vegan meals, but they were out of most things. We waited for over an hour and then after I ordered, the waitress informed me they were out of that too. I asked her what she would recommend, she said the po boy was excellent. Great, I'll take it. I was still rooting for them. After waiting longer, when a plain salad arrived for my meal, I could no longer ignore the disappointment. A total bummer.

Pros: the wall paintings are interesting

Cons: everything else

Very busy - go early - Edit

Food is fresh, delicious and plentiful. Just get there on the early side to avoid the wait. They do not take reservations - we tried the portobello sandwich, the sautéed vegetables, the fried okra, the fried string beans, collard greens, the vegan po boy... All were delicious. We enjoyed the murals and artwork, and the atmosphere. Located a few miles past the heart of HHI but worth the drive or bike ride. Best vegan food by far in the area.
Updated from previous review on Sunday August 11, 2013

Pros: Clean, Cheerful staff, Fresh!

Cons: May have to wait an hour

unique menu and atmosphere - Edit

I've been here numerous times the past few years. They have many unique vegan options and the atmosphere is casual. There is sometimes a wait, but it's usually worth it.

Pros: multiple vegan options, helpful staff, unique setting

Cons: far from beach, sometimes has a wait, no reservations

Excellent All Around - Edit

We went for lunch. I had the sauteed vegetable plate with couscous. My husband had the veggie po boy. Both were vegan, very tasty and satisfying. Service was excellent and complimented the friendly atmosphere. It's rare to find a restaurant that has vegan options, much less delicious vegan options. Roastfish and Cornbread is a winner.

Pros: reasonable pricing, delicious, quality food, vegan options

Outdoor dining - Edit

We arrived to a one-hour wait on a Saturday night. We were a bigger party, so we ended up seated outside. The wait staff was hurried, but the food was good. Lots of good vegan options. I had the sweet potato hummus with fresh veggies. My other vegan friend had an amazing roasted portabella sandwich with a delicious mango chutney. It's too bad the inside of the restaurant is so small. My advice -- GO EARLY on a weekend.

Pros: Great options for vegans, Good value

Cons: Long wait for a table, Hurried staff

It's all that...and more! - Edit

We were searching for a different place for dinner. So happy we found Roastfish & Cornbread. Don't let the name fool you.
The chef has married fresh and island flavors together...and they are so awesome. [edit by staff]. Veggies were extra fresh and well seasoned.
There is some type of bread which comes in baskets with the meal. Flavors of maybe sweet potatoes with spices. It tasted more like a dessert, but out family loved it.
We liked the food so much two days later we came back for lunch. Yes, it's that good. A little hidden off the main drag but worth the time to locate it.

Pros: lots of food for the price

Cons: it's a little noisy

Great for the herbivore, carnivore and the kid. - Edit

We just tried this place after our first two choices were closed. It was amazing. The Vegan and Veg menu is so refreshing after normally only ordering a salad or veggie burger at most restaurants around here. I ordered the Portobello Sandwich, lentils and tomato salad. It was delightful and oh so much food. The carnivore ordered a burger and fries - he liked it. The kids menu was the best - good organic natural foods - awesome choices. I loved this place and will go back again soon!

Pros: healthy good, fresh, good value

Cons: none

Great vegan food! - Edit

Based on the previous two reviews, I ate at this restaurant when I was recently in Hilton Head. The place was full of diners, but there also had an outdoor eating area, which was very pleasant. This worked out well, as the indoor eating area had a strong "meat" odor to it. I ordered the sautéed vegetables on rice (I forget how it was listed on the menu)and it was excellent! There were several vegan options and organic options, as well. When I return to Hilton Head again, I will definately eat here!

Pros: Food tastes great, several vegan options, Friendly and prompt service

Cons: Meat smell inside of the restaurant

hard to find, worth the effort - Edit

I had been looking forward to trying this little restaurant for a while and finally was up this way so I took my husband and after giving in and calling for the second time for directions and having to turn around because I passed it, we pulled in.
We were sat at a table and it took a few minutes to be recognized by a server. We were ready to place our entire order when the waitress finally came around apologizing for the delay, she had a large group leaving. For our app, we had the baby bellas stuffed with ethiopian tomato salad. Very good, my husband gave them 5 stars. I had the ultimat veggie po boy and enjoyed all the flavors and smokiness. My husband, not a vegan by any means, had the shrimp po boy. The lentil salad that came with our sandwiches was my lunch the next day and was even better the next day. Of course, as they had a vegan dessert with whipped coconut milk we also had to try that. Leaving incredibly full and having thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, we are planning to go back soon.

Pros: great food and flavors, great prices, great selection

Cons: easy to drive past, friendly but slow staff

Veg Friendly, Family Friendly - Edit

Of the 4 veg appetizers available, I had the Garden Tomato Medley - it was tasty and fresh. Of the 8 veg main course available, I had the Ultimate Vegetable Po-boy - somewhat messy, but good. The restaurant was full of diners so it was somewhat noisy, but the decor was festive and beach themed. Hours: Tues - Sat 11AM - 9PM, Sunday brunch from 11AM - 3PM.

Pros: Multiple Vegetarian options, Decor, Fresh Ingredients

Cons: Drove by it on the first pass

Return to Hilton Head Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Roastfish and Cornbread closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3294 times since Feb 2010.