First Review by sophie666

Cafe culture - Edit

I can imagine a high-schooler version of myself walking past Revel on Karangahape Rd and hoping that some day I will be cool enough to go there.

Thank god I am cool enough now.

Revel are so well appreciated by the Auckland vegan community that you could almost forget they serve any other food. This is the full gamut - you can expect sweet vegan mint slices, peanut-butter pies, tofu scrambles, cashew-cream-cheese and home-made jam on bagels... but the people at the next table might be eating bacon. It’s not because there’s a big menu, it’s just that everything is at one extreme of the spectrum or the other!

Auckland has a fascination with “cafe culture” that continues as it grows. This is cafe culture. The art-saturated space, switched-on staff, the regulars hanging out like they live there, the cabinet of baked curiosities and the blackboard of meals made to order. All in a cramped, lively and briskly colourful environment with a mix of furnishings, posters for gigs and protests and community events, a noisy coffee machine and some outdoor seating on the front footpath. Revel is located, naturally, in the coolest part of town. It’s an easy to get to and has tonnes of stuff nearby. You’re likely to cross it’s path.

When I go in, it’s usually for something sweet and a bowl of chai or a superfood smoothie.

Verona across the road is a bit more spacious but similarly cool. When you’re in the area (and it’s likely you will be), drop in to both.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Cool staff, Cool customers

Cons: Bacon, really? Should go veg*n., Prices are kinda up there

Great small and hip place - Edit

Great place, the vegan trams are worth a try. But you must try the vegan peanut butter and chocolate slice, it's to die for.

Pros: Peanut butter and chocolate slice

Cons: Can be noisy at times

Breakfast - Edit

I had the vegan reveller breakfast, consisting of: Grilled tofu, hash browns, spinach, pepers, tomato sauce and parsley pesto. It was sooo good, unfortunately I came here on my last day in Auckland. The look of the cafe is alternative and I could listen to some good garage tunes whilst enjoying my meal - right down my alley. I'd give five stars if I could ;)

O.M.G. - Edit

Very happy to have been introduced to this delightful little place. We've lost everything funky, quirky & interesting like this in Christchurch.
Choices, choices, choices galore for a vegan. During my stay I had four breakfasts and an afternoon cake n coffee pit-stop.
So delicious.
Great coffee, funky place, friendly staff. Amazing food.
My meataholic boyfriend could not stay away from the mushrooms on toast during his 10-day business trip lol :-)
Note: The review "max rating for non-veg cafe is 4/5". True rating for me was 6/5 ;-)

Pros: Choice, Taste, Funkiness

Late opening hours! - Edit

FINALLY a cafe in Auckland which is also open later and even for dinner!!

They have great vegan mains, very good coffee, and also very yummy slices (also gluten-free available).

Pros: late opening hours, great food, Very good coffee

Love it! - Edit

Revel is my local. The coffee is amazing, the staff are friendly and the vegan options are plentiful! They always have at least a few vegan options on the menu and they are always top quality and freshly made! They also have a great cake selection with vegan options clearly labelled - my favourite at the moment is the peanut butter and choclate slice. If the food wasn't enough this place is also incredibly quirky and eclectic...a great little spot!

Pros: Vegan Options, Friendly, Great Location

Colourful Place - Edit

Vegetarian and Vegan friendly, shown by V and VG on menu board. Something different in decor with brightly painted tables that are almost works of art. Unusual items like space invaders table (working) and more. Reasonably priced decent food.

Pros: colourful

OK but don't get a vegan iced chocolate here - Edit

Heard lots about this from my Auckland vegan friends. I went on a Friday night and the vibe was nice and the place was buzzing. The counter guy was super friendly and very cool.

Lots of vegan options. I had a Vegan Medley dish with fried tofu, wedges, spinach and other veges. It was ok, a bit like a cooked breakfast. Not amazing and the kind of thing I cook at home. My friend had the vegan burger and I wish I had ordered that. I had a bite and it was good. Another friend ordered the fries with the vegan aioli and that looked really good. She also ordered an iced chocolate. She's not vegan and neither was the iced chocolate. It made me think it would be really nice if I could have the same but a vegan version. I asked if they did one and they said yes. At this point, any sensible vegan would have inquired more closely as to how they were going to make it but being an ever hopeful optimistic vegan, I just thought it would be the same as my friend's. It wasn't. It was like water and cocoa powder all mixed together with ice thrown in. Yuck. I kinda thought if they said they could do a vegan iced chocolate they would have had vegan ice cream and topping and you know, made it special. This was horrible and undrinkable. To make up for it I had the chocolate mousse pie which was good and the peppermint crunch which was also good. Actually that probably was the best thing there that I ate.

Outside there are cafe tables filled with smokers. This means you have to walk through all that smoke to get in/out which is not pleasant and even inside, with the doors open, it still was a little smoky.

All in all it was good and bad, but certainly not amazing. The 'Midnite Espresso' cafe in Wellington which is very similar (as in it is a non veggie third wave cafe with heaps for vegans) is way way better for vegans. But this is ok, just not amazing.

Pros: chocolate peppermint slice, cool super friendly counter guy, wedges with vegan aioli

Cons: undrinkable iced chocolate, no 'wow' vegan food items, smoke

Cool place - Edit

Pretty good range of vegan items, including delicious vegan cakes! Ordered the cake many times, plus a whole chocolate mousse cake for a birthday. Their baked goods are fantastic, and the location on K Road is nice.

Pros: Delicious cakes, cool location

Funky and friendly - Edit

plus everything is marked so you know what to order, especially good for vegans. Great tasting food and fast service.

Pros: tasty, well priced , well labelled vegan/veg etc

Trannies and trammies - Edit

Across the road from St Kevin's Arcade where lives the holy Safe store and all it's vegan goodness, is the vegan-friendly cafe with good food, quirky staff, art for sale, space invaders and a water bowl for passing dogs. I usually go for the $8 toasted tramezzino (fancy word for panini) and a well-crafted cup cake. My partner can never resist the chocolate midnight cake. The food is cafe standard, I could make something better at home but it's nice to eat out and it's in a great location so I'm a regular.

Wellington style veg friendly cafe - Edit

On entering Revel!, my ex-Wellingtonian now-Auckland friend immediately exclaimed that it felt straight out of the Wellington cafe scene. Revel! has a cozy, alternative feel to it - difficult to find in a city of bland coffee chains. The waitress was vegan, so she did a rundown of our options. Plenty of tempting looking counter food - salads, a peanutbutter pie, beetroot choc cake and vegan rocky road to name a few. I ordered the mushroom burger, which was really filling but pretty steep at $16.50, considering it came with no side salad or fries.

Pros: Fun, alternative atmosphere, Knowledgeable staff, Plenty of vegan options

Cons: Pricey

Not a bad option - Edit

Revel certainly has some good vegan options, though it's hardly a "vegan haven". Nonetheless, it's one of the few places to get some vegan cupcakes in New Zealand, and they have at least one or two items a day in their lunch cabinet. I'm not a huge fan of the vegan breakfast option, but it certainly has its believers!

Great place! - Edit

Really nice retro artsy environment, super laid back, the staff are really friendly and chill. I love there cabinet food, always a good variety of vegan and vegetarian options. They always have vegan cakes and desserts which are so delcious. I recommend this place to anyone wanting a good cafe to relax and eat good healthy food.

Pros: Beans (homemade) and avocado on toast, Desserts (cupcakes and slices), Good coffee

Return to Auckland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Revel! closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2829 times since May 2010.