Pure Veggie House

• Vegan
Contact +852-25250552

3/F, Coda Plaza, 51 Garden Rd, Central, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China, 852

心齋, at 半山花園道51號科達中心3樓, is a large restaurant with different spaces for seating, all decorated with buddhas and natural wood. Serves unconventional Buddhist vegetarian cuisine with no added 5 spices or MSG. A la carte and combination meals. Reservations suggested. From Admiralty (Tamar St) bus terminus (MTR exit B) take bus 12A towards MacDonnell Rd (2 stops, 6 mins journey operating every 12 min). From YWCA at MacDonnell Rd its 100 metre walk to Coda Plaza, 51 Garden Rd. Or take taxi from Admiralty station.

Category: Vegan, Chinese

First Review by Blue Cloud

Favourite vegetarian restaurant in Hong Kong - Edit

I think I found today my favourite vegetarian restaurant in Hong Kong! :) (And what is even better, it's a vegan one.) We had dinner at Pure Veggie House today. It was national holiday and the restaurant was packed with locals, but they could find a very nice table for 2 of us. We ate one dim sum, one noodle dish and one tofu dish. We chose spicy Sichuanese style dishes as we really like those. Flavours were varied and great. Service was really nice and friendly. To balance the spicy main dishes we chose cooling, mild local tofu pudding as dessert. It was really good. We also tried fresh peanut mochis, which were great too. We'll definitely be back.

Pros: Superb food, Friendly service , Totally vegan

the best of Veg Chinese in HK - Edit

This restaurant is my fave but it's better to go during lunch due to their awesome dimsum menu. In addition to the dimsums, their omlette, rice crackers and gravy are worth trying too.

Pros: Reasonable price, Good food quality, Food is delivered to your table quickly!

Cons: Noisy noisy noisy, Not too accessible by public transport, Sometimes they're too busy so it takes a while for

Hmmmm - Edit

Monday night dinner

Pros: Totally vegan restaurant. wonderful! attentive sta

Cons: Chinese food ONLY - so lots of chewy/slimy mushroo, No other food options available, so if you're not

My favorite in Hong Kong - Edit

This is probably my favorite restaurant in Hong Kong. It has style, it is vegan, most of the food is organic and everything just tastes amazing! Try their Sichuan style tofu with lots of chili peppers, nuts and bell pepper! The tofu comes in several versions and is just amazingly tasty!

If you are vegan, chances are you never had hot pot cause usually it is very meat based. Definitely go and try their hotpot! It is all-you-can-eat and they have a great variety of vegetables, mushrooms, beancurd and dumplings to choose from. Totally worth the price!

Also go and try their dim sum. Another Hong Kong specialty at lunchtime. Lots of tasty small things to order and enjoy. All of them very tasty. A must try: The wonton in chili sauce!

Well, prices are a bit high, but it is just too tasty to not come back all the time ;) Oh yeah: Better call ahead and reserve a table.

Pros: 100% vegan, organic, Some of the best food in town

Cons: Pricey

My favorite in Hong Kong - Edit

This restaurant is my all time favorite in Hong Kong for great vegetarian food. There are often Buddhist monks and nuns who come to eat there, and that says it all: the food is pure vegetarian but is also quite original and delicious. The prices are reasonable and there is a membership card available for a yearly fee.

Pros: Pure, delicious food, Great variety

Cons: The service can be gruff or not...

Hearty and tasty dimsum and plant-based HK vege cuisine. - Edit

The selection on menu is vast but dishes are all exquisitely designed. Traditional HK food like dimsum and warm dishes are mostly plant-based and not just served in mostly-gluten dishes like many Chinese vege restaurants.

Food are deliciously

Classy restaurant - Edit

This is a fabulous restaurant. Beautifully decorated, toney interior, with decorated nooks and crannies, as well as a central dining area. It's a true, sit-down, white tablecloth restaurant, but also features a "make your own" buffet that we didn't try, but which looked great. The food is pure veg, as the name suggests, in that it does not feature mock meats as many Chinese restaurants do. Mushrooms are used instead, including mushrooms that are grown right in the dining room! The wait staff comes across as having "urban" attitude, but the help is friendly if you ask questions or need assistance. Tends to be crowded with an eclectic mix of diners.

Pros: Classy, Excellent, healthful food, True restaurant atmosphere

Cons: Crowded, Wait staff will rush you if you let them, Location and situation

Pure Veggie House, Hong Kong - Edit

I went here for dinner this evening. In the taxi up from Central station I was reading the reviews below which are clearly of divided opinion. Particularly concerning was the review which said solo diners are unwelcome. This wasn't an issue when I got to the restaurant. Indeed I found it to be a very positive eating experience.

1stly no issues with service. I was welcomed by a lady when I arrived and shown to a table. Almost immediately another lady was across to offer me tea (I declined preferring water). Another waiter walked past and smiled pleasantly at me.

The menu is pretty extensive. I went for a Szechuan noodle dish that was very pleasant. I was happy enough with just that.

It's quite a big restaurant with plenty of seats and tables. It's not aimed at the budget market. My noodle dish and pot of water was 124 honky including service charge. While hardly taking the shirt off my back, there's a lot of less expensive places in HK for anyone who prefers. There's plenty more expensive dishes on the menu for those who want to splash the cash.

Taxi from Central MTR was 26 bucks. The stroll back down the hill after was easy enough.

I'd be delighted to eat here again.

Pros: All vegan, Great food

Cozy spot with unique flavorful foods - Edit

I really enjoyed our time at this spot, though it was quite hard to find. Luckily, local people helped us locate it in the rain. We tried 3 or 4 dishes which were all superb. Excellent, rich flavors and presentation. We sat on a little booth on the floor and sipped warm tea. Would definitely come back here to try more of their extensive menu! Pics here http://kuriouskittenskookykrusades.blogspot.tw/2014/05/hong-kong.html

Off the scale excellent! - Edit

These guys really 'get it'!

Wonderful, wonderful plant based dishes.

Superbly made & highly imaginative varieties of dim-sum.

Excellent teas.

I have enjoyed many quite superb meals here - usually with large groups of friends.

......but it is best to go with at least one local person.

They speak delightful Cantonese & Mandarin / Putonghua.

They do not need to speak English - Hong Kong is a part of China.

The English website - http://www.topstandard.com.hk/pureveggiehouse/eng/home.html

Avoid this place! - Edit

We visited several vegetarian restaurants while in Hong Kong and this one was abysmal. The service is absolutely terrible.

We went for lunch and it took forever to attract a staff member's attention to order - once we were seated they just completely forgot about us. They said they would bring us tea which never came. We followed this up by asking for it again but the tea never came. And then they had to nerve to try to charge us for tea that we never even received. All the staff sat around a table looking at their phones and doing their best not to bother serving any of the customers. I also witnessed the staff being rude to other customers who were trying to ask a question about the menu.

The food is also very overpriced.

Pros: Nothing

Cons: Terrible service, overpriced

disappointed - Edit

staff not friendly and not good in english. They didn't tell me and it's not written on the menu that all is to 2 to 5 people, so it was too much for me, expensive and also not tasty :-(

Stevie Hi Veganisator,

Could I enquire please is it honestly fair to criticise somewhere because one or more staff members don't speak anything other than their native language? Any time I go to a non English speaking country I regard it as a bonus if the staff speak English. I don't expect it as a given.

To state the obvious, languages open doors. Despite my efforts I still have so much to learn it's not funny. Have you considered going to the vegan society wesbite and buying a copy of the vegan passport? It costs less than 10 euros and covers well over 90% of the world's languages. I am led to believe though that they are bring out an improved edition later this year.

Happy travels,
Stevie

Awful - Edit

I walked to this place after they told me it was walking distance from Hong Kong Central Station over the phone. Turns out it was about a 20 minute walk uphill into the midlevels... a great workout, but quite a bit further than I was led to believe.

Then, I get there, sweating a bit from the urban hike. Figure my way in (don't go into the super market, take the elevator past it to the 3rd floor) and even though the restaurant was 40% full, I was turned away.

The reason: I was by myself. Their tables were 4-6 people each, and they won't seat diners who don't make their "revenue per table" needs I guess. I have been in eating in vegan/vegetarian restaurants around the world, and one of the things I love about them is warmth, hospitality and the shared bond we all share.

I felt no such warmth here... the people were cold and money grubbing. No service-orientation at all. With many places around Hong Kong, I would skip this one for sure.

Pros: Mid-levels location

Cons: Not close to mass transit, Bad Service, Money grubbers

Stevie Hi Ashwinn,

I've eaten here a few times and always found it to be excellent. Its a shame you felt a negative experience from when you went here.

One minor point re transport in Hong Kong. Hong Kong station and Central station are 2 different stations. There is a corridor that links the 2 of them but as indicated on the MTR maps, they are separate entities. Someone walking from Hong Kong station to this restaurant will take a bit longer to get here than they would from Central station.

Regards,
Stevie

One of the best Chinese Vegetarian restaurants - Edit

We went there twice on a short trip to HK. First time was dinner - innovative menu with lots to try. Too bad they were fully booked, so we couldn't try their hot pot, as it would have taken too long than the 1 hour that they could accomodate us for. Nonetheless, we really enjoyed their cantonese style porridge (all blended, with gingko) with a tofu & yam dish, and an interesting mushroom dish. My daughter loved the tofu and vegetable soup, although I would have preferred it more as a broth with no starch.

We returned for dim sum on a Tuesday, and the quality was top-notch. Favorites include the cheong fun (rice rolls) made from unpolished red rice flour, the different types of porridge, and the turnip pastry. The steamed hor-fun with preserved vegetables was interesting, but not something I would order again.

The restaurant is cold, so go prepared with a jacket. Service is passable - they left out our order of kailan.

Pros: High quality preparation, Vegan, Great variety

Cons: Aircon too strong, Wait staff may be inattentive

Enjoyed the experience - Edit

We approached from the Botanical Garden side and had some difficulty finding the place. The restaurant was indeed colourful and the staff friendly. We went there for lunch and had Dim-sum; we picked five dishes. We also had some great fruit juice and some rather weak tea. It was unique and interesting.

Pros: Clean, Friendly, Different

Well worth the hike! - Edit

Have had dinner here twice. Excellent food, lovely decor, very friendly service, prices very reasonable. The location is not the most convenient; but not hard to find. Best to go there on foot, just a short hike from Central. They have a huge menu, good for big groups so you can sample as many dishes as possible. Would love to go for lunch sometime and try the dim sum too!

Pros: selections, nice decor, tasty food

Cons: location

Fine food - Edit

I'm glad the set menu was removed so we could order what we like. The dim sum were finely made and had a distinct look - I have had so many 'siu mai' in my life but this was very unique. But quite pricey.

Pros: Special touch to dishes

Cons: Air conditioning too cold, Pricey

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pure Veggie House closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 9828 times since Feb 2009.