Contact 416-971-9666

18 St Thomas St (at Windsor Arms Hotel), Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5S 3E7

Serves meat, vegan options available. Upscale hotel restaurant that offers a variety of vegan cuisine with a complete menu of appetizers, mains, and desserts. REPORTED CLOSED, JULY 2016. Mon-Sun 7:30am-11:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Western, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Richard Myers

Try the Burger - Edit

This is probably Toronto's only upscale vegan cuisine.

I love that they have a separate vegan menu although it would be nice to incorporate it into the main menu so that others are more likely to try it out as well.

I opted to try the wild mushroom and pearl barley risotto with crispy sage and truffle oil as a starter. It was decadent and delicious. It was also rich and filling, so I decided to pace myself and take half of it home. I also tried the nori rolls stuffed with a creamy ginger dill sunflower seed pate but we didn't find them that exceptional.

For our mains, I happily munched on the herbed portobello mushroom and tempeh burger which was the highlight of the night. I have never had such a flavourful veggie burger. Unfortunately, the sweet potato fries were subpar, even after I asked for fresh ones since mine were cold. They also forgot to give me the sun-dried tomato aioli, but I am glad I reminded them because it was really good with the burger.

I also sampled the cornmeal crusted tempeh steaks, spiced sweet potato coconut mash, steamed greens with caramelized onion and cherry tomato relish but we both found it lackluster. I suppose we've been spoiled by great vegan eats elsewhere (although not in Toronto).

For dessert, I was salivating the vegan Mango Cheesecake with a Raspberry Coulis. However, it was bad. It was uber sweet but in a dry icing sugar kind of way. Turns out, I can make a better version at home anyhow.

In summary, the risotto and burger are your best bets.

Pros: upscale vegan, tempeh burger

Cons: price, hit-or-miss meals

A Special Occasion - Edit

We were visiting Toronto to celebrate my daughter's birthday and decided to give Prime at the Windsor Arms Hotel a try. This is quite an expensive restaurant but it is ceretainly a nice atmosphere and the food was great. I was concerned that they might have a dress code but my jeans did not seem a concern. They have a separate vegan menu and there was enough choice to keep the four of us happy. The Nori roll appetizers were great. I had the stir-fried tempeh which I really enjoyed. We all had beer so I have no idea about the wines although they looked expensive. They have a happy birthday plate but you should order ahead. The 6:00 pm sitting suited us and the service was excellent. It was a real treat to be in a quiet unrushed restaurant.

Pros: Excellent food, Excellent service, Quiet atmosphere

Cons: Expensive

Return to Toronto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Prime closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 921 times since Mar 2012.