Plant

• Friend
Contact 828-258-7500

165 Merrimon Ave, Asheville, North Carolina, USA, 28801

Vegan restaurant in Asheville featuring local, seasonal, and organic scratch-made food from the earth. The multi-cultural menu includes raw, gluten-free, and house-made infused soda, bread, dessert, non-dairy ice cream and cheese. All beer and wine are vegan. Open Mon-Thu 5:00pm-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 5:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 5:00pm-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Beer/Wine

First Review by Ann Leitgeb

Incredible! - Edit

Stopped here while visiting Asheville and was so impressed! Outstanding menu options, excellent service. Everything on the menu looked amazing. Their seitan was obviously house made and it was excellent. We had the cheese platter and brussels sprouts as appetizers also, and both were divine. Their strawberry ice cream was hands down the best non-dairy ice cream I've experienced.

I would recommend making a reservation if planning to go on a Saturday evening. We did not make one, and were able to get a seat at a bar-like area, which was perfectly fine, but if we'd been there any later there would have been a wait.

Oh My Goodness. - Edit

So I haven't eaten at a "Fine Dining" restaurant since before going vegan years ago. This place was incredible. It's amazing what you can do with plants. I ordered the Seitan dish, which was fried and served on top of fluffy corn cakes and drizzled in vegan queso and a cilantro sauce. There was roasted zucchini and squash accompanying the dish. It was INCREDIBLE. We really wanted to try the cheese platter as an app because we had heard so many good things about it, but they had sold out for the night (we went late, our fault) so we'll have to get it next time. My husband ordered an Indian inspired dish, we honestly don't know what it was, but it was delicious as well. The service was quick and unintrusive. I definitely recommend!
Updated from previous review on Monday April 11, 2016

Pros: Everything vegan, Good atmosphere, Large portions

Cons: A lil pricey for the main dishes, But worth it!

Great Food!!! - Edit

Went here with my husband and his parents today. The food was great. My husband and I are vegans and his parents are meat-eaters... so we were looking for a place to show off how good vegan food can be. :D Plant did just that. :D We all loved the food. The wait staff was very nice and very helpful. We cannot wait to go there again. We are so happy to find a great vegan place. :D

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff

Great Food - Edit

The food was wonderful and the staff were very friendly and helpful. My wife and I brought my non-vegan parents. It was their first visit to a vegan restaurant and they raved about how delicious the food was!

Pros: Great Food, Great Knowledgable Staff

Terrific place for a celebration. - Edit

I went her to celebrate my anniversary, and it was the perfect place to have a nice dinner. Yes, it is an expensive restaurant, but worth it for what you get. My boyfriend is not vegan, so we are always trying several types of places. He was so impressed with both the vegan cheese and the gluten free bread. It was incredible. I just wanted to order three more cheese plates and call it a date. Both of our entrees were also excellent. Along with the drinks. By the way, they have a beet cocktail and it is the bees knees.

This Food is Magic - Edit

My husband and I ate dinner at Plant, tonight, on New Years Eve and this meal was so incredible it made up for all of the horrors of 2015, which was a year that tried to kill us. The man who owns/creates the meals is a magical artist genius food creator. Go there. You will smile.

Cons: Nothing

Delicious and fun - Edit

The wait staff were friendly and welcoming. The menu was a little confusing; it's not divided into appetizers and entrees, and the dish descriptions are a little vague, but we figured it out with some help from our server. Everything was delicious and the whole family cleared their plates! We even found room for dessert-- the ice creams and cakes are some of the best we've had. We're so glad we found this lovely restaurant!

Pros: Friendly, Flavors and varieties, Desserts!

Cons: Small dining room

The Best Food for Everybody - Edit

Creative Chef Jason and his team always put together colorful, artistic and extremely delicious. Don't even hesitate coming here and bring all your omni friends. Cheese plate is crazy good, and he is a masterful dessert chef!

Pros: Convenient and Friendly, Great Service, Awesome Flavors

Cons: Sparse decor

My Favorite Asheville Restaurant - Edit

I have eaten at Plant many times and it never disappoints. Delicious and creative menu and lovely presentation. Great service too. Don't miss it.

Pros: Creative Cuisine, All Vegan, Wonderful Desserts

Absolutely incredible!! - Edit

LOVE this restaurant!! The food was out of this world. Presentation was perfect. Really liked the feel of this place. Stopped here while on a road trip and so glad we did.

Here's what we had: [Plant] Cheese (aged cashew, farmer's involtini, rosemary amber & fruit, pickled vegetables, black garlic oil, focaccia). Really enjoyed this dish.
Smashed Avocado Caesar Salad (local lettuces, roasted carrots, red onion, royal bacon, pine nuts, dill caesar dressing). I felt a little let down with this dish because I was expecting more of a true Caesar taste, but it was still very tasty.
Mushroom & Noodle (mixed mushrooms, delicata squash, eggplant, bok choy, ponzu broth, cucumber and celery, herbs). WOW!! This was my favorite!
Blackout Pie (cookie crust, chocolate peanut butter fudge, berry sauce, pecan ice cream). SO decadent!
Pumpkin Crème Brûlée (almond horchata, butter wafer, scuppernong). Yum!!

The only thing negative I have to say is they were pretty skimpy on the wine and we were charged $9 for a very small glass. We noticed a couple other diners had their glasses topped off more than ours were. Definitely not a deal breaker though. We would certainly go back.

yummy adults night out - Edit

My brief review is Yes! Went out for an adult night with local friends and loved the decor that was a little more upscale than the crunchy vegan cafes you might know. Food was really good! Thai broccoli and beet app were awesome. Go. Enjoy!

Great experience, fantastic! - Edit

We had an absolutely wonderful dining experience here! The food was fantastic, great presentation, very flavorful and just plain delicious! My meal was the most well balanced dish that I've ever had at any vegan restaurant, period! No single ingredient overpowered the dish but the combined ingredients were excellently and exquisitely executed. My wife's meal was equally as great and a real treat as a truly great gluten free and vegan dish. We highly recommend and we'll be back the next time we're in the Asheville area!

Pros: great flavor, presentation , fantastic service , well executed top quality food

Cons: none, well maybe one....too far from Florida!

Vegan Gourmet Heaven - Edit

This was just absolutely amazing. I have never been to such a high end vegan restaurant in terms of beautifu food preparation, menu originality and especially taste. Every bite was an explosion for my senses.

My boyfriend and I shared a starter, two entrees and a dessert and were more than full and extremely happy. I cannot possibly excribe the experience your taste buds will have.
Updated from previous review on Thursday June 11, 2015

Pros: unusual and creative menu, friendly staff, extreeeemely good food

Cons: you pay what you get: it's very pricy..., The food is on the saltier side

Such a treat! - Edit

As a vegan living in Virginia, I have really no dining options, so it was such a treat to be able to eat at an all vegan, gourmet restaurant such as Plant. The raw lasagna was amazing-- fresh veggies and a creamy macadamia nut cheese. The smashed avocado salad was also delicious. The desserts are out of this world. The ice cream is amazing (especially the mocha) and the blackout pie has a very rich chocolate flavor. Perhaps the carrot cake is my favorite of all! Fabulously fresh and little with a little slice of candied ginger. Obviously, I ate there more than once during my visit.

Pros: perfect portions, organic ingredients , made from scratch

Cons: none

Plant in Asheville, NC is amazing vegan fine food - Edit

I had heard about this restaurant from friends and had to make the 2 hour trip to give it a try. OMG it was soooo totally worth it. I have never had food explode with flavor like this, and the fact that it is completely vegan allowed me to order and dine without worrying about cross contamination. Loved it and I will revisit.

Pros: all vegan, large menu, amazing tastes

Favorite Veg restaurant ever - Edit

My husband and I travel a lot and research to find the vegetarian/vegan restaurants in the area. Plant is hands down our favorite vegan restaurant.

Pros: incredibly delicious, gorgeous presentation, moderate price

Wow, gourmet vegan at its finest - Edit

We took a trip up to Asheville and I was super excited as I had been wanting to try Plant for a while.

After seeing all of the interesting seasonal choices on the menu, we decided to treat ourselves and try a few different things.

To start, we got the cheese platter (not my favorite) and some delicious home cooked herby fries with mayo (and no, they do not have ketchup!).

For our mains, I got the mushroom risotto (wonderful and rich) and and my boyfriend got the raw lasagne - which was very beautiful and vibrant.

We loved the food and it was such a treat to try gourmet vegan dishes.

One point to note, I would recommend booking a lot in advance as they were really busy and we had to sit on the cold patio.

Also, save room for desserts! We got too many starters and were too full to try any...and they sounded so good!

Pros: Gourmet vegan

Asheville, NC 11-20-2014 - Edit

Though I am not a vegetarian by any means, I have enjoyed vegan gourmet cuisine before. But never (and I mean never) was it this good in both presentation and taste.

My wife and I started with drinks; red wine “Tamas “Double Decker” Syrah” for her, and a bourbon hot toddy (a seasonal special) for me (make that two).

We ordered the “S Nuts” as an appetizer. A warm smoked assortment of nuts with herbs and spices. We now knew we were in for something special.

For the main course, I ordered the Applewood Smoked Porto’House, she chose the “Rosotto”. Again, the presentation and flavor was extraordinaire. The pictures really do not do it justice, read the Menu for the particulars.

For desert we shared the Live Key Lime Parfait with a cup of French pressed coffee.

No previously prepared food here. It is made while you enjoy your drinks and appetizer. The timing for the servings was just right for a leisurely meal.

The décor was very comfortable, pleasant and guest friendly. It helps to promote friendships with your fellow diners while enjoying your meal. The staff was helpful and attentive.

The topping for our evening was “Chef” Jason Sellers joined us for a quick introduction and a photo shoot.

Come to enjoy a gourmet meal you won’t forget.

My only wish is that “Plant” was a little closer than our 5 hour drive to Asheville, I would be dining there at least once a month.

Trivia: The “Plant”, is a converted gas station that was a backdrop for the 1958 movie Thunder Road, starring Robert Mitchum.

Pros: Food, Service, Price

AMAZING - Edit

I have been to a lot of vegan restaurants, and some that are just unbelievably amazing, like Candle 79 in NY. Plant is one of those. First, their entire drink list is vegan, so you don't have to ask or google if they have vegan wine, because it all is. I've been to all vegan restaurants that serve alcohol that it is not vegan, which is really strange. The Plant Cheese starter is delicious! House made cashew cheeses and bread with Pinot Grigio to start. Delicious! The Walnut Crusted Seitan with pureed cauliflower "mashed potatoes" and broccolini was unreal. I was so full, in a great way, so I ordered the Blackout Pie to go but opted for the cinnamon "coconut ice cream" instead of the banana monkey punch. This was amazing! I also tried bites of the brussell sprouts with hazelnuts and the the Risotto with mushrooms - YUM! Jesse, our waiter, was awesome as was the rest of the staff. I told Jesse to please open up Plant in Atlanta and start selling their "cheese" online or in stores. Small place with great atmosphere, open kitchen, simple clean decor... Perfect vegan dinner and dining experience.
Updated from previous review on Monday November 17, 2014

Updated from previous review on Monday November 17, 2014

Pros: ALL VEGAN (food and alcohol), Amazing food, Cool atmosphere/Staff

four stars but should be five - Edit

While in Asheville in June, I desperately wanted to go to Plant. I had read all the wonderful reviews, but the problem was they are open only for dinner. Finding a good time to go became a problem, and towards the end of our trip we seized an opportunity to have an early dinner. (Of course we first called and asked if they could accommodate us.)

The restaurant is located outside of the main downtown on a busy local road. It is small and unassuming. When we went inside to ask about seating, the hostess led us through a minimalist and half-empty dining space to an outdoor patio. The outdoor patio accommodates maybe six small tables. The only space available for two tables pushed together was in the blazing sun next to the parked cars. I asked to eat inside since so many tables were empty and was told those were being held for reservations. The patio was covered, but since we were right on the edge, there was no protection from the sun and it was quite hot. Also, it is not decorated in any way to make one think they are sitting somewhere other than next to a bunch of parked cars. If this were a burger joint or a pizza place, then okay, but it falls short of the standard for a fine dining establishment.

We ordered almost everything on the menu--the warm olives, the fried plantains, the roasted artichokes, the shishito peppers, the kale salad. For entrees we had a couple of plates of the walnut crusted seitan, as well as the red curry and the oyster mushroom apricot adobo. The most disappointing dish was the olives, which just tasted like olives after all, and the favorite was the seitan. The dishes were well-prepared but quite rich. Even though we enjoyed our meals, no one asked to return.

We could not stay for dessert since we had an appointment to keep. Even without dessert, the bill was high, as we had expected.

Having visited most of the other veg restaurants in Asheville on our vacation, I can see why Plant gets high reviews. This is fancy, special-occasion vegan food. Even though Asheville was incredibly veg friendly, Plant was unique in its level of intricate preparation. However, I live in a city with several restaurants specializing in fancy, special-occasion vegan food, and they offer more aspects of the "fine dining" experience. My personal view that is if Plant is going to charge expensive, "fine dining" prices, then they should make the entire experience more commensurate with the bill.

Birthday dinner - Edit

I enjoyed my birthday at this amazing restaurant. My meat eating family members were originally very hesitant to take a swing at any vegan food and I am so glad that they tried. The whole family had an amazing dining experience. Great food, service, and atmosphere.
I hope to come back to plant in the future and recommend it to many people!

Pros: all vegan, multiple kinds of menu items, not too many menu items

Dinner at Plant - 5/18/2014 - Edit

Dinner at Plant – The restaurant is not far from the downtown area so easy to get to. Located in a pretty nondescript building (mostly gray) with a simple sign: PLANT. There is limited outdoor seating and not an over abundance inside. Make reservations!

We were greeted pleasantly and the service was excellent. As I love plantains, I really was looking forward to their Fried Plantains. We also wanted to try some other appetizers so also ordered the Iron Skillet Olives and the Roasted Jerusalem Artichokes. Well the olives in a hot skillet were interesting, nothing to get worked up about; just olives. The Artichokes were good but not spectacular. Now the Plantains, Those WERE Spectacular. I could have just done a few orders of those for dinner but held off. While the main menu was lovely and the presentations on neighboring tables looked great, we both decided on the Applewood Smoked Porto'House for our main course. That was DELICIOUS!

For desert, I had the Blackout Pie of peanut butter fudge! YUM. Nancy had the Blondie which was also very good.
After this we were pretty stuffed and left with a quick goodbye and compliments to Jason Sellers the chef!

Pros: Delicious, Great Service, Nice Location

Cons: Little Pricey, Limited Reservations, No Walk-Ins

This a a fancy but amazing vegan restaurant! - Edit

It reminds me of "Millennium" in san francisco. At Plant I got the raw enchilada, wow it was so good. Their whole menu looked fantastic! But it is more pricey and fancy, which is fine by me! :)

Pros: Super quality, Menu, Taste, specialty

Plant rocks!!! - Edit

This is my second time dining at plant. It's so amazing and some of the best vegan food I've had. Tonight tried the risotto-amazing!!! So creamy and the mushroom and carrots are to dream about. Started with the cheese platter-a must and ended with the blackout pie-delicious!! Highly recommend plant!!!

Fantastic Food - Edit

We were in town visiting the Biltmore Estate and saw Plant on Happy Cow and decided to give it a try. The food was wonderful. We started with the iron skillet olives then had the risotto and applewood smoked porto house. This was some of the best vegan food we have ever had. We also indulged in the Meyer lemon cheesecake and lemongrass ginger ice cream. It was truly delicious. The atmosphere was very relaxed and the servers didn't rush your meal. If you are planning to go on a weekend, reservations are recommended. We look forward to our next visit to Asheville and Plant.

Pros: Excellent food, Great service

Deliciousness! - Edit

My husband and I ate at plant tonight and enjoyed every bite. We started off with the fried plantains and cheese plate. The plantains were so delicious and topped with an awesome dried shiitake bacon. We even heard others in the restaurant raving about how good the bacon was.

The cheese plate was to die for. The rest of the food was incredible as well. We ordered the farro risotto and hazelnut crusted seitan. The risotto was perfect and came with delicious mushrooms and other veggies. The seitan was decadent and the cauliflower purée and broccolini it was served with complemented it perfectly. For desert we ordered the brownie. It came with hazelnuts and ice cream. I am such a hazelnut fan so this made my day.

We were also lucky enough to try the artichoke appetizer and ordered their house-made ginger soda and they were great as well. Yes, the food is a bit pricey but it's worth it and less expensive than other comparable, non-vegan restaurants.

The staff are so friendly and our waitress knew every ingredient in the dishes we asked her about. The kitchen is open to the dining room which makes for a really cool atmosphere too.

So when you get tired of eating vegan nachos and buffalo seitan go to plant. FIVE STARS!

Pros: Creative menu & Gluten free options, Friendly and knowledgable staff, Amazing food & cool environment.

FABULOUS! - Edit

Intimate vegan restaurant in eclectic Asheville! Everything I have tried here has been delicious. Vegan cheese plate, fried plantains, portobello steak with polenta, adobo, seitan, cannoli and brownie will not disappoint. Beautiful presentation and cozy environment. Awesome for special occasion or just a night out. Must try if you are visiting Asheville or live in the area.

Pros: Superb cuisine, Excellent flavors, Intimate environment

Cons: None!

Even My Omnivore Husband Liked It! - Edit

Plant offers a healthy yet delicious menu. I tasted 4 different dishes and was delighted by all of them. They were very accommodating to my daughter as she has a nut allergy AND is very picky about her veggies (despite being vegan). The fact that my hubby loved the food was an added bonus. I want to try everything!

Pros: Delicious, Unique, Friendly

Cons: Pricey, Small Menu

Worth the Drive - Edit

My husband and I have been eating a plant-based diet for a year and a half—ever since he underwent double bypass surgery. We felt either deprived or compromised whenever we ate out until we discovered Plant. The food is fabulous: it's beautiful and delicious. The soups and hummus are divine, but be warned. If you eat an appetizer and an entree, you probably won't have room for one of their decadent desserts. The service is great, and the ambience inside is lovely and friendly. (Their patio outside facing the parking lot doesn't hold much appeal, however.) We spend lots of weekends in western NC, but driving 30 miles to have dinner at Plant is always high on our agenda.

Pros: Delicious, creative, beautiful cuisine, Moderately priced, Charming staff

Cons: No more brunch!, patio on the parking lot

best vegan food ever - Edit

Eating at plant had to be one of the best meals we have ever had. The dining room set up is unique because its an open kitchen where you can see the chefs cooking. The presentation was beautiful and the food was fresh. The flavors were excellent along with service. We got a cheese plate and cauliflower soup as an app, wild bbq and farrotto as the main dishes and the brownie with ice cream for dessert. Everything was spectacular, i would highly recommend it. if going on a weekend night, calling ahead for reservations would be a good idea as it fills up fast.

Pros: great service, high quality, fun environment

Really good food - Edit

We really liked the food and the atmosphere. The price was commencerate with the service and quality. I would say it was close to Plum Bistro good.

Pros: Nice waitstaff, Good quality food, Clean

gourmet vegan - Edit

Everything we ate was outstanding. We tried the S'nuts and the "cheese" platter. The two types of "cheese" were made from cashews and were delicious.
We also ordered the raw enchilada and the jerk tofu. My daughter had the portobello steaks over polenta with sautéed greens. The grilled polenta was amazing. The sauce on the portobellos was a bit strong but still very good. Our total bill was $84 with tip for 4 of us. This was a splurge for us but well worth the price.

Pros: delicious , raw options, friendly service

Cons: small dining room

Happiness! - Edit

Stopped at Plant for dinner while visiting Asheville. It was a peaceful dining experience knowing that everything on the menu was vegan! Beautifully prepared food, everything tasted amazing. Between everyone at our table we had the nightly soup-a Thai tomato, hazelnut crusted seitan, red curry tofu, and jerk seitan. We all sampled each other's meals and they were all delicious.

Pros: amazing, VEGAN, did I say amazing?

Cons: ambiance is a bit lacking

YUMM!! - Edit

Plant was delicious!! I went with an omni friend, and even she liked it! Portion size was perfect, I even had a little left for leftovers. I don't know what they do to their hummus, but it was incredible, and I'm usually bored by hummus. Do NOT skip desert! They make their own ice cream, and it's amazing. It's very creamy, not like flavored ice.

Pros: Delicious, Fresh, Creative

Save up!! - Edit

Can't fault the food, it's good, really. But holy moly, is it expensive. Hubby and I shared a tiny vegan cheese appetizer ($11), a main course and we had three $4 beers. This came, with tax and tip, to $52. Now, I know they're going for fine dining, so sure, charge a lot. But, it keeps normal, veg*ns from going more often, and instead caters for the rich. Shame, because I'd like to eat there more often.
As an example, we've eaten in loads of other restaurants in Asheville with a starter, main and drinks and our bill is around $20-25 including tax and generous tip.
I'd have given 4 cows if it wasn't so expensive - the food is worth 4, but they lose a cow on price.

Pros: Vegan done well

Cons: Very expensive, Must drive to it (not downtown), Most dishes concentrate on mushrooms

Best Vegan Food Ever! - Edit

I am OBSESSED with this place! The place is a fine dining vegan restaurant, which is extremely rare in the vegan world. They have the best cannoli ever, taste like so authentic, my italian grandma would be proud. All of the food tastes fantastic here. The head chef is well trained, passionate about creating excellent meals, and executes well. The staff is friendly, and very knowledgeable about their vegan ingredients. The food is pretty and the choices are incredible. I go to Asheville (a four hour ride) just to go to this restaurant. It is not a great choice for children, which is nice as a romantic vegan option. LOVE IT!

A MUST - Edit

Everything they create is art. It is my absolute favorite restaurant! I make sure to visit Plant every time I vacation here!
(Make sure to try the cheese plate!)
Updated from previous review on Wednesday June 12, 2013

Pros: SO YUMMY, BEAUTIFUL, GREAT ATMOSPHERE

Happy to Have Checked it Out - Edit

I ate at Plant while briefly in Asheville for a concert. Since it appeared to be the only (though not anymore) all-vegan restaurant in the city, I could not resist even if dining alone.

I sat at the bar in this semi-upscale locale where, once stepped foot inside, you can tell they place an importance on service. They feature a lovely open kitchen dining room with added bar stool seating, where I situated myself. The staff and cooks were very friendly, fraternizing with me when the opportunity arose. They offered complimentary raw spiced nuts to much on while a) trying to decide on an entree and b) waiting for my meal.

I ordered a local beer, the Asheville Brewing Shiva IPA which was strong and very good. I ordered the Jerk (grilled seitan · smashed sweet potatoes · sautéed collards · spicy serrano crudo · fried banana & celtic salt) as my entree. It was a bit spicier than I typically like my food, but you could tell - not only from the presentation - that all elements of the dish were top class.

It was so filling that I broke my own rule and did not order dessert. Their homemade ice cream gets rave reviews, I know! I told them I would save more room next time and I wasn't kidding; I certainly plan to return the next time I'm in the delightful confines of Asheville, NC.

Pros: Top Quality Food, Prices are moderate and fair, Great staff/service

Delicious, elegant, comfy. - Edit

As another reviewer said, the food is delicious and pretty to look at. The hummus was to die for, definitely the best I've had in my travels. The shredded philly 'steak' was also perfection. God, I miss that sandwich! This place is worth going to Asheville for!

Pros: fresh, local ingredients , friendly, accommodating service, clean, cozy design

Can't go wrong here! - Edit

The food is delicious and beautiful. The atmosphere is elegant and relaxing. The service is exceptional. This place has spoiled me. Now, other restaurants just can't compare. I was passing through Charlotte. Finding Plant was serendipity!

Pros: Cruelty-free food that is delicious!, Relaxing atmosphere., Comfortable even for a party of one.

Cons: Limited parking., That's the only con I can come up with!

Hands down one of the best - Edit

I have been Vegan for 5 years and I make it a goal to hit every vegan restaurant I can whenever I go someplace new, so I like to think that I have a large internal database of vegan/vegetarian restaurants.

You can bet money that at Plant you'll have one of the greatest Vegan meals you've ever had in your life. It is also a fantastic place to have a romantic dinner if you're lucky enough to have a vegan significant other such as myself!

Between my girlfriend and myself I have tasted the cheese plate, the wild forest, the mixed mushroom grill, the hazelnut crusted seitan, the pumpkin cheescake, the "my own" apple-cranberry pie and the cannolo. I honestly can't pinpoint my favorite entree because they were all absolutely fantastic.

Some may find Plant's prices high but their dishes are worth every penny. I do not hesitate spending $100 on my girlfriend and I when we go. Granted...we order 3 courses for each of us because we only go on special occasions.

Stop thinking about going and go! Like I said, it's one of the best and its my personal favorite Vegan restaurant in the world.

Pros: Designated parking lot

Cons: Small dining area

Best vegan meal I have ever had - Edit

They did bring us the wrong food, but it was a fortuitous mistake that ended with my wife and I have the best vegan meal we have ever had. This far eclipsed my experience at Candle 79 and anything in Atlanta that we have had to date. Our taste buds wished we lived closer, but our wallets - and waistlines, are not.

Cons: Nothing

Oh, it's gooooood! - Edit

Plant has some of the best food I've ever had. You eat with your eyes first and all of the dishes deliver that aesthetically pleasing aspect. The next step: taste. Everything tastes so fresh and well-prepared. Every bite is an explosion of flavor! Some of the combinations sounded odd to me and ordering it was stepping a bit out of my comfort zone, but I'm so glad I did. I've been twice and each time I was pleased with the food. The servers are friendly and smiling. The restaurant is nice, clean, and open. I love the decor and the layout. It's bright and inviting.

Pros: Fresh, Flavorful, 100% vegan!

Cons: Expensive, Location (busy street)

Amazing food - Edit

We dined at plant while visiting in Asheville. We loved the food. My favorite was the chickpea crepe that we ordered off the Sunday brunch menu. Plant is definately a place we will return to next time we are in Asheville.

Pros: Delicious food, Nice atmoshphere, All vegan

Oh. Em. Gee. - Edit

The best. Plant is the only reason I need to drive 2 hours to Asheville. Every bite is amazing, and service is fantastic. It's great (and rare) to be able to order anything I want on a menu, including dessert. This isn't the most helpful review I suppose, completely lacking in any critical points, but really, it's THAT GREAT.

Pros: Everything!

A classy vegan experience - Edit

When I knew we'd be travelling through Asheville, aka "the Portland of the South", I knew I wanted to take advantage of the trip and find the best vegan place in town. After doing my homework via Happy Cow, going to Plant was the obvious answer.
I was not diappointed. The place was a little fancier than most (in a good way) and the food was very hearty with a professional presentation. My companion was not a vegan, but very much a food connoisseur and he was pleased too. The whole experience was exactly what I'd been craving- a vegan answer to the locally sourced, slightly upscale restaurant.

Pros: High-quality, Gourmet

YUM YUM - Edit

Plant is the best! The staff (cooks & owners) are friendly & welcoming. Their food is delish. Also, I feel like the cooks really take time and care with the food. I love that it is 100% vegan.
It has more of a gourmet feel to it so the portions will be smaller & more expensive than other places.
Plant deserves 6 cows because the food is SOOO good/tasty.

Pros: GREAT food, good atmosphere, vegan

Cons: small portions, pricey

Died and gone to heaven! - Edit

My vegan husband and I (vegetarian) returned to Asheville recently on vacation and heard about "plant". Couldn't wait to try it .. all vegan .. wooohooo! Didn't disappoint. Everything we ate was yummy and the desserts were to die for! Wish we could have stayed in town longer to try more options. Wish every city had such a wonderful vegan/veggie resource! Would give 10 stars if I could.

Pros: all vegan, great service, reasonable prices

Cons: noisy, but fun

Vegan food as an art form; unparalleled service - Edit

The service is amongst the best I have ever encountered. Servers are knowledgeable and exceedingly kind and helpful.

The food is fabulous, again, amongst the best! I like vegan food in general, but there are only a handful of places I've encountered, where it is reinvented, dish-by-dish as an art form. Plant is one of those places. Whether you are vegan or not, this is something you should treat yourself to. And once you do, you'll want to return.

We had dinner there and came back the very next day for brunch!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff

Cons: small dining room

Simply incredible - Edit

Now, I've been to hundreds of vegan restaurants in 13 different countries and this is one of the best if not the best I've been to. Plant has everything I could dream of in a restaurant, mushroom-based dishes, smokiness, portion size, flavour combinations, incredible desserts, vegan cannoli that is a spot on replica of the ones I grew up on. I've been looking for a vegan cannoli for ages. The last one I had was a Portobello in Portland, but it was a raw cannoli and that doesn't take the cake for me. I think that alone might put Plant in the top position over Portobello, which was my top choice.

If you like foodie fusion vegan food, this is the place to eat. I had the 'Wild Forest' which was a southern fried chicken-of-the-woods and chantrelles on a bed of smoked jalapeño mashed potatoes with braised heirloom baby carrots. Talk about a perfect dish!

The presentation was a 10 out of 10 too. The timing of orders was excellent and everyone's dish was hot and fresh. There was seven of us dining.

Desserts were phenomenal. The blackout pie was a perfect richness of chocolate and peanut butter. The cannoli as already stated was divine, and all the ice-cream flavours were delightful.

Great ambiance too. Five cows for sure.

I'd really be interested in trying their take on tiramisu and cheezecake (which is my benchmark for vegan restaurant quality).

Pros: Mushrooms, Desserts, Quality

Plant - Edit

Perhaps I visited Plant on an off night but the food was not tasty. I ordered a jerk seitan, and it had almost no flavor. My companion ordered a veggie burger and it had an unpleasant flavor. The only dish we enjoyed was the dessert. It was very expensive and I don't plan to return.

Awesome Vegan Restaurant - PLANT - Edit

Been a vegan/vegetarian for 40 years. This is one of the best vegan restaurants I have ever had the pleasure of dining in! Don't miss it if you are in Asheville

Pros: Excellent Food, Organic/Local, Friendly

Anniversary dinner - Edit

Last night we had dinner at "Plant". First of all...my husband is not vegan, but I am...so he was being supportive of me. We sat outside on the patio and it was a perfect summer night to celebrate our 24th wedding anniversary. Our waitress Ellie greeted us with 2 glasses of water and said "Hello Darlings"...well that sweet greeting began the evening beautifully. We were already smiling. She was sweet and informative. She made wonderful suggestions and insured our experience to be delightful. We had appetizers, a bottle of organic wine, entrees and dessert...we had it all!!! Every mouthful of this delectable deliciousness was a celebration. We had a party going on in our mouth as our taste buds were on fire! Even my husband loved the food and relished the dance going on in his mouth as the flavors were bouncing off one another. Ellie explained that Chef Jason has insured the food at "Plant' is exquisite on all levels. His ingredients are fresh, exuberant and unexpected. We also had a delightful conversation with owner Alan. We 100% recommend "Plant" for anyone who is looking for a restaurant that is going to provide them with wonderful customer service, comfortable surroundings and exquisite food that will take your breath away and is good for them. The prices are VERY fair. Thank you 'Plant' for being there for us. We will be back!!!

You MUST visit the restaurant!! - Edit

Plant is, hands down, the best restaurant I have visited in Asheville. The atmosphere is a unique blend of casual and upscale. You can go there for lunch in jeans or for a dinner date in something dressy and never feel out of place. Parents can bring their children (who will love the food as much as the adults do), but, thanks to the friendly and exceptionally attentive service team, this warm, inviting atmosphere is equally perfect for single diners, as well. Of course, all of these attributes take a backseat to the food, which is absolutely beyond description. Chef Jason and his kitchen take vegan cuisine to an unparalleled level. Every dish from the cheese plate to the raw enchiladas to the key lime parfait proves that one can eat responsibly and still enjoy meals that are fit for royalty. Asheville is so fortunate to have such an amazing concept run by such talented professionals! If you like incredible cuisine (whether or not you personally subscribe to a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle), Plant is a can't-miss dining experience.

Pros: Excellent Food, Attentive Service, Comfortable Atmosphere

Thoroughly enjoyed ourselves - Edit

My husband and I had lunch today and shared the raw enchilada and smoked portobella sandwich. We couldn't decide on desert so he had the blackout pie and I had the live key lime parfait...the waitress called our desert order "the two sides of the Plant desert coin". Since we live 45 mins away, we kidded that we would shop after lunch until they opened for dinner and eat again!

Pros: excellent foo, friendly staff

Fantastic - Edit

Visited Asheville and decided to eat at Plant. I went crazy and got the "cheese" plate appetizer, the berger with truffle fries (Southern Living magazine recently voted their burger as one of the top ten in the state. It was the only plant based burger on the list.), and a cannolo for dessert. It was absolutely wonderful. I would go back to Asheville to eat there again and try some more wonderful food.

Pros: Great food, Friendly

Cons: Expensive for my college student budget

Plant-Best Veg Place to Eat in Asheville! - Edit

Plant is simply amazing! Everything about Plant is wonderful. The flavor combinations of the food are unique and everything I have had has been delicious. I highly recommend eating at Plant especially if you just have time to go to one veg restaurant in Asheville. I also love that Plant is 100% vegan. I don't have to substitute anything out on the menu or worry about any of the ingredients not being vegan. Also save room for dessert and coffee....it's part of what makes Plant so wonderful! They also have wine and beer and most of the ingredients they use are local. The only drawback is Plant is pretty expensive for my budget. It has to be a special occasion type of restaurant for us. Also, if you go on the weekend, consider making a reservation because it's usually very busy and it's a small restaurant.

Pros: Excellent food , Totally vegan , local, in season ingredients

Cons: Fairly expensive

Well Above Expectations!! - Edit

We were totally blown away by Plant. We knew Asheville was a little haven for vegan food, but when we visited, Plant was fairly new on the scene so we hadn't read much about it initially. I'm not sure that I expected more than a nice sandwich shop style vegan restaurant, which I would have been okay with.

Plant is much more though, it's a gourmet vegan restaurant that would make its mark even in a huge vegan city like NYC. It's a definite must-try. You can read my full review here: http://www.vegan-nutritionista.com/plant-restaurant-asheville.html

Pros: amazing food, friendly servers, chefs, owners, good value

Cons: nada!

Best Restaurant - Edit

My three sons and I went to Plant while visiting Asheville, NC. It was the best food experience we've ever had. The food was beyond our expectations with the service to match. We had the carrot ginger soup, seitan skewers, the "cheese" plate, Jerk, Berger, and Risotto. For desert we had the incredible ice cream plate with three different flavors, the apple/strawberry pie, and the blackout pie. Amazing!! We couldn't stop talking about our experience. We would gladly go back to Asheville just to eat there again.

Pros: Incredible Food, Lovely Ambience, Friendly Staff

A special place! - Edit

Amazing food! Beautifully prepared!
The very best vegetarian restaurant I have ever eaten in. Plan on repeat visits. Very good vibes. Welcoming staff. The food is super healthy and unforgettably delicious.

Pros: Excellent and varied food, Lovely space, Friendly atmosphere

Cons: There are none!

fresh and delicious - Edit

Partner and I went here for lunch. There was a very clean, crisp and refreshing atmosphere about the place. I had the "berger," which was the veggie burger made of a chickpea base with bits of seitan and other veggies in it. Absolutely delicious, but as most vegetarians/vegans know, veggie burgers crumble easily, and this one was no exception. But that didn't keep it from tasting great.

The open kitchen is great. I could see my fries being cut right in front of me and then served minutes later on a plate. So fresh.

Partner had the miso dish. Wasn't super impressed with it, said it was a little bland, but still enjoyed the lightness and freshness of it. If I were a native of Asheville, I would go back, but not too often, more so for special occasions.

Pros: freshness, clean, attentive staff

Amazing!! - Edit

I was so excited when I heard Asheville was getting an all vegan restaurant and Plant has always exceeded my expectations. I've had everything on the menu and have taken visiting friends and relatives here to rave reviews every time.

Local Love - Edit

Plant is the best restaurant in Asheville, bar none. Guaranteed to impress omni- carni- veg*n friends of all stripes. The cheeze plate, pumpkin seed seitan with shiitake bacon and all of the desserts are off the chain. Friendly, kind and helpful staff from the front to the back. As a local vegan diner and home cook, I am always looking for something to impress me. Plant does not miss any mark.

Pros: totally cruelty-free, amazing, great staff

Cons: higher budget, not open 24 hours, loud blenders

AH-mazing! - Edit

This is a great place to eat, one of the best dining experiences i have had in 6 years of going to asheville about every other month or so. The fact it is a cruelty free restaurant is just a bonus, the real pleasure is the food. Inventive and made with heart. They also do a great brunch, I had the biscuts and gravy with house sausage and it was phenom. I have had their burger and their herbed seitan. I can't wait to go back and explore more on the menu, like I said I haven't tasted one morsel from them on my or my wife's plate that wasn't amazing.

Pros: food, friendly

Cons: need to be closer to greensboro

Upscale Vegan - Edit

This place isn't your typical hippie vegan restaurant. It's not snooty but definitely more upscale. They're service and food are excellent. I got a caesar salad and seitan dish. There is a good variety on the menu though.
They are a new restaurant so I hope they stay in business as I will definitely go back!

Pros: tasty, clean, good service

I love Plant! - Edit

This restaurant is incredible! The staff is friendly and welcoming. The decor is simple and modern. Most importantly, the food is fresh, flavorful, and filling!

My omni husband enjoyed it as much as I did. We shared the seitan skewers, the "cheese" plate with fruit & olives, the jerk seitan with sweet potatoes & kale, and the mushroom risotto with arugula. Somehow we managed to save just enough room to share the Blackout Pie as well. Everything was DELICIOUS!

The kitchen is in full view of the dining area. Even after we finished our meal, we couldn't help but stare at the beautiful dishes being served to the other guests. I can't wait to eat there again so I can try the rest of the menu!

It's no surprise that Plant is so popular. Be sure to make reservations so you can enjoy it too!

Epicurean Delight - Edit

PLANT offers something for everyone-- this "restaurant with roots" is a soup to nuts dining experience that is second to none. The culinary artistry of Jason Sellers, formerly the head chef at Laughing Seed, is taken to new heights. The food here is creative, tasty and delivered in portion sizes appropriate for adults :) Dessert is not to be missed. Omnivores make up most of the customer base from what I can see but of course vegans and vegetarians flock in to enjoy fantoxicating food, organic wine and beer, friendly service and a peaceful atmosphere. An awesome and much needed addition to asheville's restaurant scene. Also, you might spot a celebrity there once in a while (most recently MOBY, who was in town for Moogfest). Bring your kid (the ice cream is off the hook!), your honey, your friends.. whoever. But make sure to call ahead for a rez!

Pros: entrees, atmosphere , dessert

Cons: none, none , and none

Vegan Heaven! - Edit

Plant is an extraordinary addition to vegan dining options. Every single delicious item on the menu is vegan and therefore nothing is off limits!!! I have had several meals at the best vegan restaurants in New York City, including Candle 79, Blossom and Peace Foods, as well as Baby Cakes bakery, and Plant rivals anything I have eaten there. I and my friends and family drive from Johnson City, TN specifically to dine at Plant. I have had the smoked portabello, the seitan skewers, peppercorn seitan, the "cheese" plate, and have tasted almost every dish on the menu-- all divine!! Definitely save room for dessert-- items like chocolate silk pie with ice cream are top notch. The staff is very friendly and willing to explain menu items. The restaurant itself is small and gaining recognition as a great place to eat, no matter what your dietary choices, and that is an indication of the skill of the chef(s). Make sure you either go early, or make a reservation!!! Don't miss this incredible dining experience!

Pros: delicious food, friendly staff, compassionate choice

Plant is a vegan's dream come true!! - Edit

I just love eating places where I don't have to ask about ingredients to ensure what I want to order is vegan or even tell the server to be sure to give me the vegan option for a particular dish. At Plant, EVERYTHING is vegan, even beer and wine! We went for my birthday lunch not too long ago and I had the Portobello sandwich on ciabatta bread! It was the best porto sandwich I have ever had!!! The fries were great, and the ice cream for dessert was wonderful (made with coconut milk, I think). In addition to being completely vegan,everything also tasted really healthy - even the fries! I'll be going back to Plant for Sunday brunch in the next few weeks and I can't wait!

Pros: excellent vegan food, healthy , friendly staff

Cons: none!

A must if you visit Asheville! - Edit

I came here by myself and sat at the counter. I got to see everything as it was cooked! The head chef (owner?) even talked to me as I ate my dessert. And my dessert was the best dessert I've ever eaten (even before I was vegan)!! I can't wait until I'm in Asheville next because there's no way I'm not going to Plant when I'm in town.

Pros: delicious, friendly staff, creative menu items

Plant - Edit

The decor is both modern and relaxing. The food is a cut above the other veggie restaurants in Asheville, offering gourmet vegan at a good price. The owners, staff, and patrons are all friendly. For dessert, the Blackout Pie is a dream!

You MUST eat here! - Edit

If you come to Asheville, please do yourself a favor and eat at Plant. It is absolutely amazing!
You have to try the seitan skewer appetizer..and the chocolate peanut butter pie.
The chef and part owner, Jason, came from the Laughing Seed...so you can imagine how good the food here is!

Pros: Service, Atmosphere, Energy

Return to Asheville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Plant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 18075 times since Aug 2011.