Pingala Cafe and Eatery

Contact 802-540-0110

1 Mill St Ste 138, Burlington, Vermont, USA, 05401

Vegan cafe located on the Winooski River. Offers plant-based dishes and has gluten-free choices. Drinks include fresh juices, smoothies, tea and coffee. Lots of to-go items. Has Wi-Fi. Open Mon-Wed 8:00am-4:00pm, Thu-Sat 8:00am-8:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, International, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out, Catering

First Review by 73Iron

Especially Delicious - Edit

We read the reviews and thought this sounded like the best place in town. We couldn't have been happier. It was a picturesque setting by the river, in an old mill, with this hip and cozy little cafe tucked right in. Not a lot of seating, but we didn't have to wait at all, even though people were steadily coming and going, and grabbing their mobile orders all the while. We had the Tempeh Reuben (so delicious), which was more like a grilled banh-mi, we thought... and our favorite was the special, which was Thanksgiving themed, with tender, juicy seitan, sweet potato puree, cranberries, and perfectly seasoned and wilted kale. Both came with a fresh little salad with fresh, zesty dressing. The coffee was delicious, and the Turmeric Sunrise kombucha is really special too.

Pros: Delicious, Fresh, Affordable

Cons: No observable flaws

Great Pizza at Pingala - Edit

My wife and I stopped in tonight for an early dinner. We'd been here before but it had been a while since or last visit as it's nearly a 100 mile round trip from our home. Well worth it I would add. Tonight, much to our delight, we found pizza on the menu. Having spent some time in pizzerias in my own career I can be a harsh critic about product offered by what most places who are not pizza houses call "pizza." Having literally not had a bad experience here we both ordered the Friday Flatbread. A generous plate of pie and a grab of greens with a nice lite dressing. The flavor of the pie was spot on! Authentic taste through the last bite! We'll be back and hope they keep this one on the menu for a while. The best part is the full and quiet tummy. :)

Pros: Family atmosphere, Excelent food (It's all vegan and delicious!), Friendly staff

Cons: not in our neighborhood, too far from our house, probably will never be closer to our house.

Great breakfast - Edit

I brought my family (All omnivores with allergies) here for brunch and they loved it just as much as I did. I got their french toast, which was superb, and the staff was very accommodating to my family's different allergies and sensitivities.

Their ordering and seating style is similar to that of Panera: You order and pay at the counter, seat yourself and your food is brought to you.

Updated from previous review on 2016-09-29

Pros: Delicious food, Accomadating staff, Laid back vibe

Cons: Could have a bigger menu

Loved This Little Cafe - Edit

I'm traveling all over the US for 5 months and find myself in many places where there is no vegan options. I was so happy that an all vegan place was near by I about cried. Then the food was to die for as well! This is a cute little place next to a river that had one of the best Benedict's I've ever had.... Including the time I wasn't vegan. I loved that their hot drinks are served in mix matched mugs! Seriously if your in the area give this place a try you will not be disappointed!

Delicious and cute! - Edit

I've only been here once, but I had a great time. The ELT (eggplant BLT) was awesome--the texture of the "bacon" was amazing. The atmosphere is super cute, too! It was a little pricey, but fair for the quality of the food, I think. Definitely recommend!

Pros: Delicious ELT, Cute space

Cons: Pricey, but fair

Healthy and deliciously Vegan - Edit

very cozy nice atmosphere next to the river with a good porch to sit on. The staff is friendly and nice. The cuisine is delicious, inventive and beautifully presented with adequate portions. There are many healthy and organic options.

Pros: great food and atmosphere

Cons: they have limited evening hours on some weekdays.

Excellent food! - Edit

Loved this place! It's all vegan and the food was excellent. We had their Monday special - mac and cheeze, along with broccoli bites with buffalo sauce, and peanut rice which had broccoli and kale. Everything was tasty and there was a lot of food.

Location is right on the Winooski River with seating outside for nice views.

5 Stars! - Edit

An amazing vegan cafe that serves fresh, delicious food. The atmosphere is very inviting and they have a great deck to eat on in the summer while looking out to the river. Finding a seat in the winter can be a little tricky but you can either wait a few minutes for a spot to open up or take it to go and eat elsewhere. We've only "had" to do takeout one time and by the time our food was out, space had opened up. The staff are all so wonderful and friendly! They always have a smile on their face and are always willing to accommodate as much as possible.

The karma burger, falafel wrap, grilled kale salad, and dumplings are great! My husband and I really loved the nachos (and I had just discovered their wonderful grilled cheesiness) but they just changed their menu and no longer have them.

I also love their french toast which comes with this amazing ginger butter - I barely used the maple syrup because the butter was so satisfying on its own! They have awesome treats as well. The donuts are to die for, especially the sweet potato and miso donut! I know.. I was skeptical too but just try it, you wont be disappointed. I'm not sure if they are made in house or by another local company; either way, they're worth a try if they have them!

In short, my husband (who was previously not vegan for a long time while eating here) and I love Pingala! We're hoping they'll open another location someday (maybe closer to Waitsfield

Pros: Great Food, Reasonable Price, Friendly Staff

Cons: Minimal Seating in Winter

Best vegan food in Burlington area - Edit

This place is very affordable and has excellent food. I have never had any food there that wasn't tasty and fresh. The bakery items are all pretty tasty too. All of the menu items are creative which I like also. Most of the items are no more than $10 so it's affordable. There isn't a lot of seating (except in summer when the patio is open) though but the place has a nice vibe. Don't miss this place if you come to Burlington.

Pros: Tasty and Fresh, Creative menu options, Affordable

Cons: Limited Seating

Awesome Vegan Oasis - Edit

This is our favorite restaurant, we drive 45 miles to get this fabulous VEGAN food! I always order TWO entrees because I just can't decide...the simple avocado toast is divine:)

Pros: Awesome all Vegan food!, Great space, Caring staff

Cons: not in my city:(

Wonderful vegan comfort food - Edit

We ate here twice during our short stay in the Burlington area. For breakfast one day we had the Benedict and the Scram (without the wrap). Both were really delicious. For lunch another day we had the Broccoli Bites, the Spring Rolls, and the Grilled Cheese. Again, all fit the bill as real food that tasted good and satisfied us.

Oh, did I mention the baked goods? These are made by Four Sisters, a vegan baker in the area. We tried several items---donuts, scones, &c---and these were all top notch.

Wish I could try more items but I was only traveling in the area.

It's a nice atmosphere, several tables and a bunch of barstools, plus outdoor seating.

Pros: Food, Staff, Atmosphere

cute and tasty!! - Edit

We stopped here on our way back to montreal and it is a very cute location off the road next to the water. I had the california club with eggplant bacon which was unique and tasty!! my partner had te karma burger which was tasty each came with a side salad!! The flavor was awesome!! the salad small but good. came with pickles!! Yummy!! I had teh brownie for dessert..not my fav but good and she had maple glazed baked donut which was great!! We had a latte too!! The menu is large and has good breakfast options!!! anxious to come try them!!! would definately stop again!!

Pros: cute location, great food, good service

Ambivalent - Edit

First off, the wheelchair accessibility is superb, especially the bathroom where I was actually able to wheel into the stall and shut the door with plenty of space to spare. For that, I love!

I'm moving to Burlingotn this Fall, and while visiting I decided to check this place out! Great staff, great outdoor seating, and overall great vibe.

I felt a little on the disappointed side regarding the food. The Gouda melt had little to no cashew cheese on it that I could see. I checked multiple times. I thought that that would be the main aspect of the sandwich, but it was mostly tomato, pesto, and caramelized onions. It tasted good, but I ordered it hoping for the melty cashew cheese.

The side salad fell a little short. The lettuce was wilted and on the verge of going bad, though the dressing was really nice. Overall, my meal wasn't as fulfilling as I had hoped, especially it being my first truly vegan restaurant experience.

My partner ordered the falafel wrap, which I took a bite of. It was nice, but not as seasoned as I expected. Sadly we had to leave abruptly, so I didn't get the chance to try the desserts, but from what I have read, they are the real stars.

Overall, I thought it was a very expensive meal for what I was getting. Maybe I set my expectations too high, and to be honest, I feel so bad for not being happier...

Pros: Great staff, Great Vibe, Amazing Wheelchair Accessibility

Cons: Expensive for the portion size, A cheeze melt without the cheese

American-style Vegan Cafe Fare - Edit

There is nothing more I could ask for in a cafe that is all vegan American cuisine. This place reminds me of a down-to-earth cafe that happens to be all vegan. The menu is huge, considering how the place is operated - out of what appears to be a small kitchen with just a couple people working the whole show at any given time.

Still, I should say I just came here once, so maybe there is inconsistency, but I didn't see it.

There is a ton of tables outside and a bunch of places inside, seating maybe about 40 people comfortably? The place is open for easy hours for the workers/ staff, but I would have loved earlier and later hours to allow for more eating here!

The location is off the beaten track, but it is great by an old mill and the waterfront. It's somewhat secluded, so it provides more quietude.

Now, as for the menu - thank you, thank you, thank you, Pingala. Loved all your choices. The brekkie looked incredible, and I am so glad I have something to look forward to when back in Burlington!

Really though, they have a great menu - smoothies, coffee/ latte beverages, brekkie/ brunch, salads, wraps, sandwiches and appetizers. Many items are gluten-free, and as others have noted, they have gluten-free vegan bread. I was skeptical, but wow, it is good. If you have had GF vegan bread before, you probably know it can really really disappoint. I was impressed! The ELT is amazing - who know eggplant skin could be such fun in a sandwich? They love this eggplant approach, as well as tahini-based sauces - who wouldn't? There is plenty of cheesy-ness if you like that.

I do wish there were more salads and raw options in general, but, for what they have, it is excellent.

The baked goods appeared to all be gluten free - lavender chocolate cupcakes, cranberry scones, peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies and blueberry corn muffins were just half of the fresh offerings. So delicious!!! Most gluten free vegan baking leaves something to be desired, but all of the items I had from Pingala were remarkably delicious.

The prices are super fair, though everything is not organic, so that could be why the prices are rather low. Still, the food fills you up, is fresh, freshly made and tasty. I will be back!

Pros: All vegan, Vegan gluten free galore, Lattes and smoothies!

Cons: Hours are too short!, Service could be slow - staffing issue

fine - but nothing special - Edit

I share the view of many of the doubters below who found this restaurant acceptable but nothing special. I went there for lunch (not breakfast) and found the food good, but not exceptional. The sandwiches were interesting, but the one I ordered came on a pretty boring white bread (gluten free - but for me that's a minus, not a plus), and it was just tasty, not amazing. My wife's was much of the same. Service was just OK. The space is really nice down by the river. All things considered, I found better options in Burlington, even though they weren't fully vegan.

Really tasty! - Edit

We stopped for lunch while passing through Burlington. We each ordered the hash and scramble wrap with tahini sauce, dumplings to share, and a maple pumpkin sticky bun. All of the food was fantastic and the staff was friendly. It almost made me wish I lived in Burlington.

ok - Edit

Went there for Sunday lunch. It was kind of quiet. The cafe was small. There were only 2 tables for 2 seatings, 2 tables for 5-8 seatings (depends on how many you can squeeze in) and bar top table with 6-7 seatings. We were really lucky to have a table, since we have two young children. There were quite many selections for children. My 3 yo had burger bite. He started with the dip (came with it) with chips. There were garlic in the dip, so it tasted a bit spicy. After that, he refused to eat the rest of the meal. My 5 yo liked her cheesy sandwich though. My husband said his breakfast sandwich was tasteless while i liked my tofu rancheros. The cafe is in an industrial building right beside of the river.

Pros: *

Cons: *

Vegan at a moderate price - Edit

Pingala offers a wide vegan menu at a moderate price. The fare is limited to breakfast, salads, sandwiches and wraps. Gluten free diners are accommodated. What we had was well done. We had a Karma Burger, ELT (eggplant bacon), and tempeh taco. Seating is a little limited, expansion is being contemplated.

Pros: vegan, reasonable prices, friendly service

Hit or Miss - Edit

I want to love Pingala, and 50% of the time, I do. The problem is that the place is very inconsistent. I'll have a meal I love, and then the next time I order the same item, it is tasteless, missing several key ingredients, or the recipe has changed. When they first opened, I ordered a pesto pasta, which was one of the most delicious pastas I've ever had. I excitedly went back the next week and ordered the same pasta, and it tasted like dirty water. Now it isn't even on the menu. As I said: inconsistent. This is true for Pingala's concept as well. It seems like every few weeks the hours change, as do the offerings. For example, they experimented with dinner and live music on Saturdays, but that has fallen by the wayside without notice.

I also wish they had more of a focus on whole foods. For example, all the sandwiches come on white flour tortillas and are served with Costco brand potato chips. Many of the items are fried or slathered in a very tasty, but probably not very healthy, spicy mayo. For a vegan restaurant, the plants don't seem to shine as much as I hoped they would. Perhaps this is because the emphasis is on comfort foods? I wish they had healthier options that weren't trying to replicate non-vegan foods. Vegan food that doesn't imitate cheese or meat is delicious too!

I must highlight that the baked goods are amazing, and most are both vegan and gluten-free. I've never gone wrong with a baked good from Pingala (but made by the local Four Sisters Bakery). With these treats, even a non-vegan wouldn't miss the eggs and butter.

I'm vegan, and I'm so grateful that someone has opened up a vegan restaurant in my area. It is exciting to be able to order anything on the menu. I hope they continue to refine their offerings and find their groove because this place has real potential.

Pros: All vegan and mostly gluten-free, Amazing baked goods, Tasty comfort foods

Cons: Inconsistent, Not enough whole foods, Quality and service vary with staff

PingalaCafe Hi VeggieYogi,

Thank you for your feedback and patronage at Pingala, we hope to see you again soon. I would like to say that opening this restaurant has been one the most amazing, dream-come-true things I have ever done, and, without a doubt, also the most challenging things I have ever perused. The reason for changes to hours, the menu, and for having a few miss-fires here and there is because, like you say, we are trying to refine our offerings and find our groove. Also, our kitchen is tiny which can often present a challenge. We are doing the best we can and are always looking forward. I am grateful for your review as it will serve us and provide determination to try even harder. I can assure you it is at the core of our mission to make food that is delicious, beautiful, creative, and healthy.

In response to some of your specific feedback:

-None of our foods are fried, as we don’t have a deep fryer
-Our whole-wheat wraps are locally made by New World Tortilla
-The vegan mayo we use is house made with organic soy milk and vegetable oil. No binders or preservatives.
-The potato chips we purchase at Costco are Kettle Brand are non-GMO certified

Thanks again for your valuable feedback. We hope to see you at the café again soon.

Namaste,

Trevor Sullivan
Owner

Perfect place! - Edit

We went to Pingala Cafe for breakfast last week-end and it was perfect! The food was delicious and the staff was really nice with us. We will definitly go back there when we will come back in Burlington. It's a must!

Great place! - Edit

We went here for lunch, and then breakfast the next day. Food was excellent, and the baked goods were pretty good considering they were gluten free...the maple donuts were a little on the dry side. Nice views of the falls on the Winooski river, and really nicely decorated inside, with lots of natural light. For breakfast I had a tempeh breakfast sandwich (awesome), and Becca had pancakes (not gluten free) that were also very good, with ginger butter (woah). The smoothies are also good. One of the best we've been to, don't miss it if you're in Burlington.
Updated from previous review on Saturday October 11, 2014

Pros: Extensive menu, Awesome food, Welcoming environment

Cons: Portions could be bigger for the price

Vegan in Burlington...Finally - Edit

You'd think a hip town like Burlington would have been ahead of the curve but Vermont's addiction to all things dairy has held the town back. Well no more. Enter Pingala in the rejuvenating old #1 Mill street where you can do yoga then chow down.

We had the spring rolls, taquitos, tempeh tacos and 5 gluten free desserts-- peanut butter brownie, cinnamon doughnut, chocolate chip cookie, coconut, carrot chocolate macaroon and pumpkin spice iced cupcake. Yum.

The taquitos were grilled crisp and served with their signature chipotle mayo which is hot and creamy, my favorite. The spring rolls' sauce was good and they were ample. The tacos were good too, especially on the home-style corn tortillas. And it was all gluten free! The chipotle mayo appears on several items, including a breakfast sandwich on which it seemed out of place. It is a risk to rely on one sauce too frequently.

Next time we'll try the burgers and sandwiches, and another order of taquitos.

Charles was cooking and made us feel welcome as did the server, though I prefer my servers' long hair tied back and don't appreciate him touching his hair prior to serving my food. Also one hopes that servers in a vegan restaurant know better than to tell customers they drank bone marrow while in India, and customers should know better than to assume all workers in a vegan shop are vegan.

The bathroom is clean and shared with the yoga studio, et al, and could use vegan soap instead of the toxic blend they call soap.

The atmosphere is a nice mix of the old mill feel and the new cuisine, though the tables were sticky on top.

We liked their compost and dish set up and their cool silverware holder. The outdoor seating overlooking the river improved the experience.

As long time vegans, we appreciate all vegan restaurants and this one is no exception. Thank you for being there. We will visit whenever in Burlington and wish you great success.

Pros: Good food, good value, Gluten free options, Great river location

Non-Vegetarian - Loved this place! - Edit

I brought my adult daughter who is a vegan, to treat her to dinner. Man, if I had the ability/inspiration to make meals like they do I wouldn't miss my non-veg lifestyle at all :-) They do healthy food very well. They had a taco special going on, so I tried that. That was awesome - and slightly messy to eat just like real tacos! My favorite was their Buffalo Broccoli Bites. The slightly spicy sauce and the sprinkling of black sesame - not just tasty but a visually appealing dish as well. I want to come back JUST for that dish. I want to try more stuff too. Agree with the other pros / cons others had.

Thought you would like to know this place has appeal not just to vegetarian / vegan customers. There is a false judgement by non-vegetarians that anything veg has to be boring. This is a cool cross-over place too. Blessings!

Great little vegan restaurant! - Edit

What a great little place! Food is great, prices are reasonable and lots of parking. My favorite dish was the BBQ mushroom wrap and my wife love the tempeh tacos. Met the owner and he is a passionate young man who just wants to support veganism. Went back 3 times on my brief stay in Burlington. Highly recommended.

Pros: great food, friendly employees, easy parking

Cons: doesn't have a location in Baltimore!

Choices Galore! - Edit

So used to having maybe one option when eating out - most places don't grasp that someone may have multiple food items they do not or cannot eat. Gluten free potions as a slab of meat with some veggies or vegetarian pasta or something veggie but with cheese... Not here! Everything is vegan and almost every single item is either naturally gluten free or can be made gluten free on request. They always have a lovely selection of vegan and gluten free baked goods by the comet which is a miracle because most places might offer one or the other but almost never have something that is BOTH.

I always have a hard time deciding what to order because I'm so unaccustomed to having OPTIONS. but not only do I have a choice, every single thing I have eaten here is amazing - so I know I won't be disappointed except when my plate is empty.

Pros: Gluten Free, Delicious

Cons: Tiny, Wait Time

Great Place! - Edit

I felt like I had to wait forever to get up to Pingala. It was worth making it happen. When I walked in it was pretty busy, but people were being served quickly. The menu is fully Vegan so I was overwhelmed! I'm not actually complaining about it!
I had the ELT and buffalo broccoli. Both superb! Can't wait to try the Taquitos and grilled cheese and kale.

Pros: Clean, Choices!, Friendly staff

Cons: Busy intersection, Parking is a little wonky

As Good as the Reviews Claim - Edit

The reviews that give this place an excellent rating are all accurate. I had the BBQ Jackfruit wrapped in a spinach tortilla. The texture of the Jackfruit was excellent, and the BBQ sauce was great. Even their coffees (I had a latte) with choices of milks (almond, soy, others) and added ingredients (chocolate, maple, others) are luxurious and delicious.

The facility is a unit that is located in a large converted mill along a river, but it looks like it was just built yesterday. Everything is spotlessly clean, and that even includes the bathrooms. Also, they have outdoor seating overlooking the river, which was great for bringing the pooch along with me for my outing. It is an informal facility with casual dining.

I was only in town for the day, but I would absolutely dine there again to try out more items.

Pros: Great Food, Super Clean, Dog Friendly

Considered moving to the area just for this place! - Edit

Seriously, this restaurant was so good that I really had the thought to leave my old life behind and move to Burlington to be near this place! Well, the beautiful VT country side and relaxed pace of life probably also contributed to the thought. Here's my usual breakdown of the place:

Food: 10. I was really pleased with everything I got: a maple latte, a maple doughnut, a breakfast sandwich (with a maple glazed tempeh patty, of course, because you can see that I adore maple syrup), and a side of "hash" (lots of veggies instead of just the usual potatoes). I tasted my boyfriend's maple cinnamon bun, and that was also delicious. This is rare that I say this about a place's menu, but I think everything on the menu sounded great. If I lived or worked near this place, I would try everything on the menu! One thing I really liked about the menu overall is that the items were often classic comfort foods made healthier (e.g. lots of veggies added to things plus a focus more on tempeh and tofu rather than mock meats). I wish more vegan restaurants had this balance down.

Price: 8. Pretty average for a vegan restaurant. I felt that the prices were generally reasonable. I also felt that the portions were generous compared to some places that charge the same prices.

Staff: 9. The guy at the counter was really friendly and helpful. My only complaint is that he pointed it out several times that he was the only person working at the time. While I felt for him, I'm not sure if he was looking for sympathy or what. But anyway, minor complaint.

Atmosphere: 9. I love the location in an old mill right next to a river! My only complaint about atmosphere, which is another minor complaint, is that there's little seating.

Parking was easy outside of the mill.

Pros: All vegan!, Delicious food, Balance of healthy and comfort-like food

Cons: Small staff makes for longish wait, Little seating inside

Awesomeness - Edit

Pingala Cafe & Eatery is the best all Vegan restaurant! The place is warm, friendly and hip...the food = awesomeness!!!

The plant based food was fresh, vibrant and delicious!! It feels so good to know that there's a vegan place and not have to worry about what you are really getting!! Friends & I tried Grilled cheesiness, Pulled BBQ, Banh Mi, Warm Thai Peanut Salad, GF brownie and the Vegan/GF P'nut Butter Choco Chip Cookies are out of this universe!!

Servers are courteous, helpful and friendly. The owner, Trevor Sullivan checks in with customers to make sure thet're pleased with the food. All good....all the time!

Pros: Excellent food, Great vibe, Great prices

Amazing! - Edit

delicious! so many great options that will please everyone. my brother who doesn't eat vegan loved it as well! best vegan food place I have been to hands down. the location is beautiful and located at an old industrial building, very quaint and decorated comfortably. good vibes!

Pros: menu, atmosphere, location

Cons: none what so ever

LOVE this place - Edit

A great all vegan menu with a wide selection of gluten-free options! Tried a maple almond latte, a smoothie, trail mix cookie, hummus, breakfast sandwich - all wonderful. Reasonable prices. Very friendly staff. Cozy little space with a nice mural, great river view and eclectic decor.

Pros: amazing food, friendly/knowledgable staff

Cons: not a lot of seating, limited hours

100% Vegan! - Edit

Love this new vegan restaurant! It is wonderfully reassuring to be able to get food somewhere where I don't have to worry about asking ingredient or preparation related questions... everything is vegan! I'm a little obsessed with the Grilled Cheesiness with avocado, check it out!!!

Pros: 100% Vegan, Convenient Location, Tasty Baked Goods

Amazing Menue - Edit

The Menue is amazing, so many options to choose from. And they are complete meals. Prices are not bad either. The Buffalo kickin is great!

Pros: All Vegan, Proteins, Baked Goods

Return to Burlington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pingala Cafe and Eatery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8038 times since Mar 2014.