Phoenix Garden

Contact 804-266-8100

7103 Brook Rd, Richmond, Virginia, USA, 23227

Vietnamese noodle house where all food is vegan; the only non-vegan item offered is honey for drinks. The pho is house made without added MSG. Desserts include a traditional corn and sweet rice with coconut cream topping and vegan funnel cakes. Confirmed open, June 2016. Open Mon-Thu 11:30am-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:30am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Asian, Vietnamese

First Review by smylly

Great food! - Edit

The food was terrific. I ordered the Banh Mi sandwich- delicious. It came with a side of coleslaw which was not what I expected but was very tasty. The place is no frills and the food came out pretty quickly.

Pros: Everything is vegan.

Super Friendly Staff...but.... - Edit

We were super excited that there was a mostly vegan restaurant in Richmond while we visited the area. The staff is super nice and were very pleasant to be around.

I'm not sure if it was just what we ordered, but it did leave a lot to be desired. The dishes we got were loaded with onions and beansprouts. And when I say loaded, I'm not joking. Let me also preface by saying that my husband and I love all fruits and vegetables (my husband even likes durian fruit), so it isn't like we are picky eaters. My dish had vegetable in the name (mixed vegetable and brown rice), but there were sparse pieces of broccoli and it was mainly onions and beansprouts. Now, I like both of those foods, but not a dish of mainly that. In addition, the onions were not fully cooked so they were pretty strong. Again, we both like raw (or partially cooked) onions, but imagine eating a half of a cup in each dish of it. If they were cooked all of the way, then it wouldn't have been such a big deal. When onions aren't cooked that much though, it almost starts to burn the tongue a bit. We also ordered the Happy Family but there were barely any vegan meats in that, just mainly onions and beansprouts. Our brown fried rice and marinated tofu (which has tofu in the name) only had about 3-4 small pieces of tofu. And again, loaded with beansprouts (by this point we said no onions because we couldn't handle any more of them). The sauces for all of the dishes were really nice, but it really lacked in the vegan meat/tofu department. In addition, I was really looking for some veggies other than onions and beansprouts.

Lastly, there was no music playing or anything, so throughout the whole meal we heard a little girl (I think the owner's daughter...definitely not a customer) coughing.

Pros: Super nice staff, Nice flavor in the sauce, Plenty of parking

Cons: Lacking in protein & variety of veggie department, Expensive for what was given, No music or other soothing ambiance

Yes; Amazing! - Edit

What a great place!! Impeccable service and delectable dishes. We had the Fresh Rolls, Pho, Brown Rice with Vegetables, and the Yin & Yang (red bean sesame balls with coconut cream and chocolate sauces). We loved everything. It was fresh, flavorful, comforting, and delicious. It was a perfect respite after a hard travel day.I will suggest that anyone who's typically queasy about mock meats might avoid the mock chicken. I liked it. But you may not.

Pros: Incredible vegan Pho, Out of this world desserts, Joyful, generous service

Cons: None for me

MUST TRY! - Edit

This place is so amazing. The service is excellent, the people are so kind and friendly, and the food is AMAZING. Definitely some of the best vegan food I've had yet. I ordered Pho with extra noodles (only a dollar extra) and got a whopping portion. My boyfriend, who is not vegan, ordered the Happy Family entree and loved it! We also got an order of the sweet rice/ corn dessert and it was delicious.

Pros: Excellent service, Delicious vegan options, Large portions

Contributions +14

AMAZING - Edit

Ate here twice on our vactaion to Kings Dominion. Couldn't get enough. Even my VERY picky son loved it. The combination platter is great for kids (and adults) Don't normally care for desserts but as a treat we got the funnel cake and almost wanted to cry it was so good. Can't wait to stop by again soon.

Pros: Very friendly staff, good portions, amazingly tasty

Cons: none

Love this place - Edit

Everything on the menu is Vegan; however, they do bring you honey when you order hot tea. I love everything they have especially the pho and banh mi. They are out of this world. I also love the fact that they have funnel cake and you guessed it, it's VEGAN! I love the owners, they are such sweet people. They make you feel like you're home with family when you are there.

love this place!! - Edit

The owner is an extremely nice woman who is both vegan and from Vietnam so you know the food is legit. The only non vegan thing is she'll offer honey with your tea. When I say nice I mean she usually offers me and sister who go there complimentary tea or some free dessert.

Everything on the menu is good, I know because I've had everything on the menu. The pho is classic but a lot of other simpler dishes are great too. The desserts are wow. The ying and yang sesame red bean balls are my favorite by and large. It's calm and quiet and right off brook road.

Veg Vietnamese Heaven - Edit

I heart Vietnamese food, but boy is it a challenge to find legitimately cooked Vietnamese food that is vegan! The entire restaurant is vegetarian, and the menu boasts that actually ALL of the food is vegan - just ask if you're not sure, but, it seems legit!

The vegetables are fresh and crisp, complementing the noodles, rice and sauces nicely. Nothing here is heavy. I felt like I could eat 3 entire entrees. While the most happy item of them all for a veg*n to order is the pho, since you needn't ask about the broth, don't just go for the pho!

My fav is usually the non-fake meat items. The summer roll is decent, but the best items are the pan-fried rice noodles and mixed vegetable entree. So simple, but so good. The sesame red bean balls are also legit.

You can't go wrong here. The portions are generous, and the food is tasty. My only gripe is more vegetable diehes needed, like papaya salad and sautéed greens.

Pros: All vegan, Pan-fried noodles, Pho for vegans

Cons: Location requires car, Too many good items to order

What a find! - Edit

Great stop on a road trip, just off 95. Friendly service, interesting and delicious food. We had the pan fried noodles, the brown fried rice with vegan beef, and two orders of summer rolls. The noodles were particularly delicious, with a nice browned edge to them here and there. We'll be back!

Pros: Location, Quick and delicious

Cons: Ambiance

Great find! - Edit

We live an hour from Richmond and have been going to Lewis Ginter Botanical Garden regularly for a few years but just realized recently this place was right around the corner. It was a tad pricey for us but all the food was awesome so it was worth it. I had the Bahn Mi, my wife had the mixed vegetables with brown rice and the kids had fried rice with tofu. And the kids also really enjoyed the chocolate fried banana for dessert. Everything was fabulous and the owners were very nice. We'll definitely be back!

Far cry from Falls Church's Thanh Van & Loving Hut - Edit

My first visit here in early 2013 seemed a nice discovery. The owner was nice. The food seemed tasty.

I returned last December when in the area. A man working there seemed to take offense when I gently queried how they can have honey containers (for the tea, it seems) available to customers when claiming to be vegan. He harshly insisted "There's nothing wrong with it." Whether or not his reply affected my tastebuds (or was motivated by insufficient revenue, if that was the case), the pho this time tasted like a watery hodgepodge of vegetables and noodles. I ate and I left.

The owner did not seem to be present when I had my late lunch/early dinner there on that weeknight. Maybe she helps with quality control when there.

My understanding is that the same owners previously ran a meat-serving Asian restaurant at the same location and at some point made the switch to vegetarian. Good for them for the switch. I am rooting for this restaurant to ditch the honey containers and to be a destination that will truly warm a vegan's heart, spirit and stomach.

Pros: Vegan except for honey containers., Nice owner., Switched to vegetarian from meat-serving

Cons: Honey containers available to customers., The pho was a non-plus

I95 road trip - great vegan food. - Edit

Wow! Heading north on the I95, couldn't face subway for dinner again, and found this place just 2 mins off the highway. Delicious, vegan, healthy food. Better veg-asian than anything we've had in DC. Friendly owner and reasonable prices. What a find.

Pros: Many kid friendly options., Quick service, Easy parking

100% vegan delicious Vietnamese food - Edit

Really yummy family run vegan Vietnamese restaurant. My husband and I had the lunch special that what a delicious Pho for 8$! I would definitively recommend that place to everybody. The whole menu looks good.

Vegan in Richmond - Edit

Last night I had an amazing vegan meal at Phoenix Garden. It was a bit slow so I also had an opportunity to share with the owners. If you are in the area do yourself a big, healthy favor and visit with them. Phoenix has so many delicious offerings on the menu. I am looking forward to my next visit to the Richmond area.

Perfect in every way - Edit

Loved this place, and found it thanks to all your great reviews. Had the sautéed eggplant, Pho, spring rolls, Banh Mi, and Vietnamese beer. The service was amazing, and even helped navigate a nut allergy with ease. The owners were very friendly, and even asked us why we weren't finishing all of our food. The portions are big and we ordered a lot! So we ate it all, sort of like eating with my grandmother. Lovely! All ingredients were fresh, fresh, fresh.

Cons: A little salty

Adorable and delicious! - Edit

The owners were the sweetest, nicest people I've met in a long time. They seemed to truly care about each customer and valued their business.
The food was delicious, and I'd recommend it to everyone who lives in or visits Richmond!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Large Portions, Delicious Food

Love this place! - Edit

If you're vegan, vegetarian, or even a carnivore, this place is awesome! All menu items are vegan but my meat eating relatives were also very impressed! We loved the couple that runs the place... they were incredibly generous. It was my siblings' birthday when we went and they gave us complimentary treats for them! They are so sweet there and the food is to die for! I got the veg pho and the summer rolls and I was in HEAVEN :) If you live in Richmond or just passing through, this is a great place to eat. Please check this place out! You won't regret it.

Pros: great food, very nice service, located right in Lakeside

Cons: menu was a little limited, but delicious

I adore this place! - Edit

This place excels both in terms of amazing service and excellent food. I adore the couple who runs it--they are so friendly, gracious and attentive. The food was truly delicious. I loved the cabbage salad and Banh Mi so much, and the pho was excellent. We had the yin and yang dessert as well. Everything was super fresh, high quality, delectable, and served with a smile. We will definitely go back to this place anytime we pass through Richmond. It's also really easy to find and close to 95, so it's great for people passing through.

Return to Richmond Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Phoenix Garden closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.