Pho Chay Nhu

Contact 38206195

54 Truong Quyen St, Ward 6, District 3 (at btwn Vo Thi Sau & Dien Bien Phu), Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam,

Vietnamese pho noodle dish is the house signature. Also serves rice dishes and a few others displayed at the counter. All vegan except for yogurt. Open Mon-Sun 6:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Vietnamese

First Review by PlanetEarth

Still open - august 2016 - Edit

Lived here for 4 months - this place has the best pho chay! Took me so long to find out that the tofu that looks like a flake is boiled tofu skin! I bring all my veggie pals here. It's a local for the monks. Be wary, as with most places it closes between 2 and 4 for nap time.

Pros: Tasty food., Local, Homemade everything.

Cons: Closes between 2 and 4, Nothing, Nothing

love love love! - Edit

We love this place. It's in a small alley but had a sign out front and the map is spot on. We can three times in a week because we simply loved it. No nonsense - they bring you a big bowl of Pho if you don't know what to order, with all the mixins. They even have vegan fish sauce. They're sweet and greeted us with a smile each time we returned. We tried a lot of Pho Chay places around Ho Chi Minh and Vung Tau and this was our favorite. Only 32,000 dong.

Pros: Cheap, delicious

Pho Chay Nhu, Ho Chi Minh City - Edit

1stly I managed to find this place quite easily by taxi. Its located in a quiet side street. However I showed the address listed on the happycow app and the cabbie brought me straight here with no issues.

2ndly as a previous reviewer observed, sadly this place isn't all vegan. I was also offered the yogurt that on questioning I was told was made with cow milk.

Again as others have said the pho was really delicious. This was only my 3rd day in Vietnam so I don't exactly have decades of pho connoisseur experience. I was given the bowl with most of the ingredients plus 3 separate portions that allowed me to add each to suit my taste of mint leaves, lime and chilli (in my case leaving the chilli out completely). It tasted really good.

Currently in my 5th decade of my humble and insignificant time on this earth, I experience something in this eatery that while it may be routine for others, I can honestly & modestly say I have never experienced before in my life. I was sitting down gleefully chomping my way through my superior flavoured pho when lo and behold, a gentleman showed up and drove right between my table and the counter to the back of the restaurant on a motor bike. This turned out to have some unexpected benefits. While the manager spoke a little English (and certainly more than my current 10 word vocab of Vietnamese), it turned out that Evel Knievel's English was pretty good. Indeed it was he who was more than happy to act as interpreter with the manager to help me ascertain that the yogurt I was offered was indeed made from cow milk.

As well as the pho I tried a couple of other things. One was a bit like some sort of a dough ball in some kind of sauce. The other was some sort of triangular savoury. I had one of each. All the food I tried was great and the total bill was 48 000 dong. There can't be many all vego places in central HCMC where you will get better value for your dong.

I liked so many things about this place. The hole in the wall vibe of the place was great, the people were lovely, the food was great and terrific value for money and of course rounded off perfectly with that unique motor bike experience. This place was only a yogurt tub away from being a sure fire 5 out of 5 rating from me.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Tasty & great value food, Nice people and atmo

Good one - Edit

We can just repeat our former commentators: the Pho was indeed really good and the staff didn't speak English.

The soup was big and very satisfying. For dessert the lady brought a cow milk yogurt, so watch out for that. For drinks ordered corn milk which was really worth the try.

Pros: Good Pho

Cons: No variety

Best Pho - Edit

This is the best pho I have had in Saigon. I go here for lunch often and there pho is fantastic. Its a great local place down an alley. I love the atmosphere and food here. They also have com tom (veg rice dishes) which is also good, but the pho is why you come.

Pros: Food, Local Atmosphere

Superb pho spot - Edit

This is the kind of place vegans dream of finding in Saigon. Friendly, family-run hole-in-the-wall with basically two dishes: "pho chay" and "com chay" (a rice plate). Delicious and fresh. Close to a large, pleasant park. Note that they sometimes stay open as late as 10 p.m.

Pros: Authentic, Cheap, Delicious

Cons: Limited variety, No English

Excellent phó - Edit

Excellent phó. Very satisfying portion at a reasonable price. Typical vietnamese joint. Better bring your phrasebook along as nobody spoke English when I was there. Fortunately my Vietnamese goes as far as saing "mot phó" lol

Best pho we've had - Edit

Saunted here based on reviews- were not disappointed. This simple pho resto served up the best pho we've had in a while. Deliciously flavourful, welcoming staff, and friendly all make this place a great place to dine. Pho could have used more noodles, but overall a great meal.

Dinner for two was 44,000. Would defiantly go back again.

Pros: Delicious, Quiet and quaint, Autehntic

Cons: Needed more noodles, Hard to find

Smaller and better - Edit

I think deserves one carrot and not two for price range. One good meal around 30 - 60 K. Compared to Thien Vien which has a much larger selection, this familial feeling place offers more refined taste in their dishes. Not oversalted, and the sauces more tempered. Would definitely go back if it were closer to hotel.

Pros: Tastier then basic, Family like

Return to Ho Chi Minh City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Pho Chay Nhu closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.