CLOSED: Papasito Organic Mexican

219 High St, Northcote, Victoria, 3070

Serves meat, vegan options available. Mexican cuisine restaurant and bar in a more upscale setting. Food is made from-scratch in-house. Labels the dishes that can be made vegan on request. Could substitute guacamole and cashew cheese for dairy cheese. All the desserts are vegan and gluten-free, from granita to enchilada dulce. Drinks may be requested with cashew milk. Offers a 5-course vegan banquet menu as well. Large cocktail and beer list. Confirmed closed April 2017.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Organic, Mexican, Latin American, Non-veg

First Review by Jess loves good food

Very good food but not cheap - Edit

I headed to Papasito for dinner with my partner without doing a lot of my characteristic background research and was struck by two things when I got there. First, I recognised it as the old Coco Loco and it appeared to be at least part-owned by the same people, since the trademark cashew milk and dark chocolate mousse were on the menu. The decor is warm with dark-stained wood, painted brick and a grand bar. Second, it was a bit more expensive than I'd anticipated, with mains over $20. The food however was very good and the portions not stingey. We started off with a drink: the Mint Cooler - lime juice with mint in a fancy glass - which was delicious and refreshing. Vegan items and those with vegan options are clearly marked on the menu. From the Cazuelitas Calientes we chose the Marmarosa ($21), a casserole with black beans, tomato, corn, mushrooms and a flavoured cashew cream, all accompanied by three soft tortillas. This was delicious and there was enough of it that we needed to order two more tortillas ($2). Also delicious was the Ranchero Chiqualiles ($21) - a base of corn chips, black beans and roast tomato with eggplant, capsicum, salsa and spiced cashew cream added. The waiter attending to us was polite and gracious. Although what we had eaten was plenty, we decided to treat ourselves and share a dark chocolate mousse ($9), which we had with cashew lattes ($4.50), all organic and fair trade. For me this place can only be an occasional treat but I definitely want to come back for more.

Pros: Delicious, clearly marked vegan good, Polite service and attractive decor, Organic, fair trade ingredients

Cons: Just a little pricey, Not completely vegan

Best Mexican food in Australia - Edit

I have eaten here a few times and am always impressed. The food is amazing. I would go as far as to say perfection. Every meal I have been served here was so delicious I had to stop myself from licking the plate. Everything from the sauces to the tortillas are made in house from scratch and cooked to order, and the effort they have made is really worth it. I'd like to be able to fault the food in some way for a balanced review, but I can't.

Absolute must tries are the homemade corn chips, the vegan mushroom tacos and the eggplant mamasita. Wash it down with a margarita made the way it should be and finish with the best vegan chocolate mousse you will ever try.

Very reasonably priced for the quality, with all vegetarian/vegan mains under $20, and so nice to have a vegan friendly place in Melbourne where you can dress up for a date without feeling out of place (although the dress code is officially casual). It's also the only non-raw place I know of in Melbourne with an entirely gluten free menu. The service is great too, but really, the food, oh my god, the food.

Pros: Excellent food, Great service, Beautiful venue

Cons: Small tables, Lacking a nice outdoor seating area

Return to Northcote Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Papasito Organic Mexican closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.