Oyamel

Serves meat, vegan options available. Mexican food served Antojitos style (similar to tapas). Has in-restaurant print menus labeled with vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free if you ask for one. Around a third of the menu is vegetarian and of that some dishes can be request vegan. Menu changes seasonally.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Mexican, Non-veg

First Review by christopher.mannino

excellent menu - Edit

Close to the mall, excellent options and interesting variations. Not your average Mexican cafe!

Pros: vegan options, small plates to try different thing

Cons: may have to wait for a table

Disappointed - Edit

I wanted to love the experience, but unfortunately, I didn't. The restaurant was beautifully decorated, clean, and modern. To begin, they gave me a breakfast menu at 4pm. I ordered Horchata, but they were out. Our waiter never came to check on us, refill our waters, etc... Fortunately, the waiter asked whether we wanted cheese or not on our guac. I ordered the Brussel Sprouts which I'd describe as overly citrusy and doused in oil (like a 1/4 cup). THESE ARE NOT TAPAS- THEY WERE SERVINGS FOR 3 PEOPLE! I also ordered Plantains which by no means I'd order again. The mole was very bitter.

Pros: Beautiful Restaurant , Amazing Guacamole!

Cons: Oily Brussels, Absent Waiter , Bad Plantains

Delicious! - Edit

Went here for dinner and drinks. Ask for the allergen menu so you can easily identify vegan options. Very flavorful food and delicious margaritas. I'd suggest the brussel sprouts, guacamole, and cactus!

Modern Mexican, "sort of okay" - Edit

I previewed the restaurant's online menu and HappyCow before picking Oyamel, but was disappointed overall. Honestly, I was surprised this place was on HappyCow, even as Veg-Friendly, but I think that's a stretch for vegans.

Menu
- I was there for lunch and they gave my non-veg guest and I dinner menus; that is not ideal from my perspective. (I am just seeing that now as I go online to review the dish names, which is even more frustrating - I could have had a different meal altogether!)
- The menu did not identify which dishes could be made vegan; when I asked my server he pointed to the vegetables section and said that was it. However, there are mushroom tacos I see, on another page.

What I Ordered
- Overall, this was not a great value by any means, especially for vegans.
- I ordered the Machuco relleno de frijól con salsa negra and Frijoles Rebosero.
- The Machuco is basically fried plantain and carrot mush filled with black beans, and a black sauce. It had 5 or so fried pieces, but they didn't taste like plantains or certainly didn't taste like sweet plantains like I'd hoped and expected. Wouldn't order again.
- The Frijoles Rebosero honestly tasted like Amy's veg baked beans, with some added peppers and onions. I was unimpressed, especially at $10 a plate.
- There was another bean dish on the menu, and the served checked and confirmed with the kitchen that they were not veg even without the crema and cheese.

Chips and Salsa
- These were free and were very good! The chips had not too much salt, and a custom seasoning which was a pleasant surprise!
- I am curious if they offer a hot vs. normal salsa; I like hot salsa and the one served was relatively mild, though delicious!

Pros: Location, Atmosphere, Accessible to public transit

Cons: Expensive, Busy; you can feel like just another table, No parking validation / street parking

Traditional modern Mexican cuisine - Edit

This is a festive upscale restaurant that makes me think classic Jose Andres eatery. The food has attention to presentation, local ingredients, traditional cuisine and flavor. The atmosphere is fun and downtown DC, meaning that it is not casual, more like business casual, night out on the town or good choice for most celebratory events.

Anyhow, the food. Like most of Jose Andres's restaurants, there is attention to those who have dietary restrictions. Ask, and your server will be more than happy to help you find the vegan dishes. There is a veg section, but half of the items have queso (including the guacamole)/ cheese... so, just ask. Very professional and accommodating. You will be fine here! Great ambiance too - decor is tasteful and representative of the cuisine, and there is good energy here for a vivacious dining experience.

My favorite items are the small plates and tacos - because, well, they were very easily bursting with fabulous vegan flavor. Table side guacamole is fun, but, the price tag just makes me cringe a little because I know I can make it at home for 3 time as much guacamole for that price, and with organic ingredients. Anyhow, think beans, tacos, mushrooms and cactus (nopales), and you will do well here! The mushroom tacos were probably my favorite.

A great place to have a fun time!

Pros: Vegan is not a confusing concept here, Mushroom tacos

Cons: Menu is not immediately marked vegan

BEST RESTAURANT IN DC - Edit

Absolutely BEST restaurant in DC- can have a gourmet vegetarian meal that is tastier than anything else possible in the DC Metro area. This is a GOURMET place, so be prepared to pay a lot- but it is WORTH it. And don't miss the "salt-air" margaritas!

Pros: amazing food, fun vibe

Cons: price, need reservation

Return to Washington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Oyamel closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.