Newark Natural Foods Co-op

• Health Store
Contact 302-368-5894

230 E Main St, Newark, Delaware, USA, 19711

Member-owned cooperative market with a deli cafe inside. Stocks fresh organic vegetables and fruits, natural body care products, bulk food items, books, deli, vitamins, and more. Host an outdoor farmers market on Sundays from 10am-2pm May through November.

First Review by Jasmine81

love it! - Edit

Great store with helpful employees. The prices are high on some things and cheap on others. You can definitely find most of what you want as a vegetarian/vegan. If you become a co-op member you can receive small discounts and save on bulk/case purchases.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday November 11, 2014

Pros: Nice selection for a small store, Helpful employees

Cons: Some prices can be steep

Definitely worth a stop - Edit

While they do sell non vegan and non vegetarian foods, the variety and selection of things I can eat which they sell makes it a frequent stop when I'm in Newark. I live near NYC and have lots of vegetarian and vegan options near me, but I always seem to find something here that I haven't seen before near me or which they start selling before my local stores do. It's definitely worth a stop. And on weekends there is an active farmers market in the parking lot.

Pros: Good selection, Homeopathic remedies & cosmetics too

Small and Expensive - Edit

I'm not from this area but I was visiting friends and wanted to cook them some yummy vegan dishes while I was here. I couldn't believe the prices at this co-op! Might as well be Whole Foods with a limited selection. My co-op back home (Florida) is way more impressive and prices are reasonable. No wonder my friends think being vegan is expensive. This place will do in a pinch for speciality items but it wouldn't be worth the money to join.

Pros: specialty items not available in reg grocery store

Cons: too expensive, small, limited selection

good but clearly not run by vegetarians/vegans - Edit

Good independent food source for any unusual, ethnic, vegan/vegetarian, some raw, some macrobiotic, diet, and other foods.

They DO have some things my local grocery store can't get. They will happily order anything you don't see on a shelf. Staff is always helpful and easy to find.

Drawbacks is that although they're running as a not-for-profit venture, their prices are always higher, even on more common items. I like the idea of patronizing an independent food store, but it's hard when sometimes the price difference is 20% or more.

I've also been frustrated at selection. They have room for tons of organic meats (which can be bought anywhere) but their refrigerator case of tofu/setian/mockmeat is smaller than my local grocery store's. Most of their meat-replacement items are common (mainstream, corporate) things I can buy in any grocery store. Staff tries to be helpful but they usually don't seem to 'get' us vegetarians. Too many meat and dairy products on the shelves. And we're back to the problem I have in any grocery store: I've got to carefully read the ingredients labels on most items because so few are labeled "vegetarian" or "vegan". I'd love it if someone put stickers on veg-friendly products to encourage us to buy more.

I also wish their produce section was a little more affordable and varied. It's summer right now and I can buy organic, local produce from farm stands for sometimes half of what they're asking.

Their bulk food and bulk spices sections are very nice, with items I can never find anywhere else.

Check their calender. They do try to bring in guest speakers.

Tip: do bring along bags or check up front for donated bags, since they don't provide their own.

You do not need to be a member, but members do get a small discount.

Pros: independent, sometimes can find less-common items, friendly staff

Cons: non run by vegns, not enough vegn products, sell lots of meat & cheese

wonderful co-op - Edit

This place saved me on a few business trips I made. I travelled alone to Newark twice last year and was a vegetarian trying to eat vegan at that point. I had a microwave at my hotel and found that this store had everything I needed to make it. I only went out to eat once to a salad bar while I was there.

They have a great selection of fresh produce and premade sandwiches, noodle dishes, pad thai. I ate at least 8 containers of Noodle Mania. I wish I could find some here in Maine! They also have health and beauty products as well as a book section.
Anyways the store was great and staff was very helpful.

Pros: great selection, friendly staff, ample parking

Return to Newark Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Newark Natural Foods Co-op closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1836 times since Aug 2007.