Nami

602-258-6264

2014 N 7th St, Phoenix, Arizona, USA, 85006

Vegan bakery offering sweets and soft serve. Breakfast food Mon-Sat til 11am, brunch Sunday 9am-2pm. Gluten free options. Affiliated with Green vegetarian restaurant. Open Mon-Sun 7:00am-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Take-out, Bakery, Catering

First Review by Elizabeth

Best brunch in town - Edit

Everything here is incredible. Brunch is off the charts - tons of tofu creations. Doughnuts and pastries best I've ever had. And the Tsoynamis - try the El Capitan!! Oh and I believe they use organic soy/coconut milk for the ice cream base. Yummy!

Treat Me, Seymour! - Edit

Peanut butter cookie, carrot cupcake, vanilla cake, and a banana donut. One of these things is not like the other...

Just kidding. Those are the four items I tried at Nami and overall I was impressed. The treats were moist and delightful to eat while chatting with company. I will be back for sure.

- carrot cup is a definite winner with it's slivers of carrots
- banana don takes second because of the real banana goodness it gave off and because it was topped with nut
-.peanut cook was okay, but PEANUT flavor wasn't coming through as strong as I like
- vanilla slice takes last place because there was no texture to the cake. I was decorated with icing and a small snicker doodle

The ratio of main ingredients in the treats was perfect so whoever does the baking has something good going on. Many vegan pastries I've tasted give off a distinctive after-taste of poor quality oils. Thankfully, I didn't taste that in Nami's goods.

On a side note, though, seriously - the icing is ridiculous. Too sweet and way too much!

One thing that would improve the store is better use of the counter space. Would be nice for the owner to invest in a roomier display case?

Pros: Good baking, Good spot, Tasty

Cons: Icing too sweet, Needs better display, Loud music

amazing! - Edit

This place is wonderful! I had the curry tofu the first I went and I wanted to lick the bowl.

Donut - Edit

Very delicious lemon poppyseed donuts!

the best apple fritters you will ever eat! - Edit

Our family bought sweets here everyday we were in Phoenix. The apple fritters were the best I've ever eaten including non vegan ones. The service was great and you could tell everyone was happy working there. Thank you Happy Cow for helping us find this bakery!

Superb Cupcakes! - Edit

After I had dinner at Green New American restaurant, and right next door is this wonderful vegan bakery. I heard the same guy owns both Green New American and Nami.

I ordered a couple of chocolate cupcakes, and they were perfect. I took a couple to go to share with my aunt and uncle as well.

I'll have to try the other desserts next time.They looked amazing.

I tried their Vegan Benedict for breakfast. Tasty, but too salty gor my taste.

Pros: Excellent cupcakes

WOW that was delicious! - Edit

Stopped in for Sunday brunch. Although it didn't look like it, I was reassured that everything on the menu is vegan. I'm so glad I asked and stayed! The yoghurt parfait was very nice and the burrito bowl was fantastic. So tasty, just the right amount of spice. Cool atmosphere, friendly staff. Looking forward to returning.

Pros: All vegan. Good amount of gluten-free options. Gre

Cons:

Yummy and Amazing - Edit

OMG!!!
Vegan breakfast!!! Biscuits and Gravy! Quiche! Doughnuts!
Need I say more?! 5 vegans came in hungry and we all left satisfied and with goodies to eat later! Thank you NAMI! Well done! Our only regret is we have to fly to Phoenix to eat here again. Worth the trip!

Pros: Excellent BREAKFAST FOOD!!! , Great variety on the menu, Nice portion sizes

Cons: As far as I know, it's only in Phoenix

amazing - Edit

I come to America to visit family once a year and I dream all year about coming here for my treats. Such good doughnuts and cake and cookies and ice creams please come to England!!! I guess you are saving my waist line as I'd be at your shop every day ?

all vegan errrrything - Edit

Amazing soft serve vegan ice cream with endless mix in combinations!! Great find. FYI next door is GREEN new American Vegetarian literally only steps away.

favorite breakfast, brunch & dessert! - Edit

I come here at least once a week... It's just so tasty! Hominy grits is seriously my favorite thing on the brunch menu! Everything I have ever tried here is delicious. It's nice to have all the breakfast/brunch comfort foods you can't usually order at a regular restaurant once you go vegan.

Contributions +116

A vegan Blizzard -OMG - Edit

Since becoming vegan perhaps the one food item from our youth that we hadn’t been able to share with the kids was a blizzard style frozen dessert. If you have fond memories of these you must go to Nami to sample a Soynami! There were so many flavours it was hard to choose. Our favourite was Soy Capitain with Captain Crunch cereal. There were also some great baked goods that we took for the road including vegan donuts which are rare in our experience. We didn’t have a chance to try the sandwiches but they sounded good. Nami was our 2014 road trip champion in “Bakery Wars”. Remember that it closes early (1:00 I think). Go early you don’t want to miss out!

delicious hot breakfast and cold soft serve - Edit

Had their bagel sandwich and a small cup of the "twist" soft serve. Both were super tasty. The chocolate soft serve has less of the coconut flavor. I walked here from the downtown Hyatt, and this was my reward. Not healthy vegan food but definitely satisfying for those of us who are vegan but not afraid of a little battery bagel.

Pros: friendly service, delicious treats

Amazing - Edit

Their Sunday brunch is out of this world. I had the french toast and a cinnamon bun. I've never had vegan french toast or cinnamon buns this good. Even the rest of my family, who are hard-core meat eaters, said this food was even better than some of the non-vegan versions they have had. We were only in town for a week so we made sure to have brunch there on both Sundays. We also went back multiple times during the week for dessert. Green New American is right next store so it's great to grab dinner there and then have some tsoynami ice cream for dessert. They also have donuts on certain days of the week that are amazing as well.

Pros: excellent food, large portions, friendly staff

Cons: crowded, limited seating

Amazing! - Edit

I had the "betterfinger" tsoynami and it was one of the best things I've ever eaten in my life! SO good! Also tried the maple donut and the cakeball truffles and those were great as well. This place is awesome and I'm so grateful it's around.

Best vegan brunch / soft serve in Phoenix - Edit

So very thankful that brunch is an option here now. Obviously, I could write a novel about their amazing pastries and soft serve. Everything is absolutely delicious and there are plenty of options for those with food allergies. Located directly next to quite possibly one of my favorite vegan restaurants (Green). Love is Nami and Nami is love. I absolutely love the Fluffernutter!

Pros: Allergy Free Options, Large-varietal menu, Diverse options

Fantastic Breakfast and Dessert! - Edit

This place was awesome! The breakfast burritos were absolutely delicious, and the cookie I had was superb. I wish I could have tried out they're blizzards, but I was too early. The place was clean and cute, the staff was super nice, and the food was seriously awesome. Definitely worth going to in Phoenix!

Pros: Great food, Awesome portions, Good price

Disappointing - Edit

I went into this place with really high hopes, but left disappointed. I was expecting Nami to be an awesome vegan bakery that also offered soft serve. However, upon entering the place I quickly realized they are trying to do too much. They have a separate (large) coffee menu, a large tsoynami (vegan blizzard) menu, a medium-sized bakery section, and several vegan candies made by outside companies (e.g. Theo peanut butter cups!). I was a bit disappointed by the bakery selection. There were several choices for baked goods, but most were standard cookies, cakes, and cupcakes.

I used to love Butterfingers and still love chick-o-sticks, so I placed an order for the daily special Butterfinger tsoynami and several baked goods. I paid and was told to wait until my name was called. I was a bit surprised that the cashier didn't make any attempt to give me the bakery items (which were sitting right there in the case next to the register), but I thought okay, maybe they want everything to come out at once.

After a long wait of about 15 minutes, I hear my name called. I come to the register and only see the baked goods sitting there (again, these had no special preparation other than taking them out from behind the counter and placing them in containers). I asked the cashier where the tsoynami was, she said it wasn't ready yet and it would be ready in a few minutes. I reluctantly went back to waiting.

10 minutes after that, the tsoynami is finally ready. I can't figure out why it took so long as it's basically just a swirl of soft serve with some toppings sprinkled throughout. I bite into it and - blech! The vanilla soy ice cream is among the worst vegan ice cream I've ever tasted. It's extremely watery, and chock full of ice shards, with none of the rich and creamy taste I expected. Putting that aside, the dessert is just horrible. Since it was supposed to taste like a butterfinger I expected it to be loaded with chick-o-sticks, but there's probably only about 1 tbsp of chick-o-stick powder in the whole 16 oz cup. To that these guys added loads of awful, artificial-tasting Torani toffee syrup, and a huge amount of chocolate chips that turned rock-hard and tasteless in the cold ice cream.

The baked goods were at least edible, but they were chock full of sugar and fat (the icing on my cupcake was super-dense and larger than the cupcake itself!) without really having the taste to make it worthwhile.

In summary, poor service and food quality. Avoid.

Pros: All vegan, Sells Theo PB cups

Cons: Inedible soft-serve, poor toppings, Huge wait times, Meh baked goods

FunkydP 17 May 2017 - You're right about the sugar. The icing was so sweet, I could not eat it.
Also, I didn't understand the waiting time too. Wasteful.

Return to Phoenix Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Nami closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.