First Review by Yasminenazmy

yurrrm - Edit

Slightly more expensive but still cheaper than western vegan food would typically be back home! Has a nice Vietnamese feel to it also, the fresh rice paper rolls are delicious and the lemon grass mushrooms are insane. Staff super cute and friendly and nice aesthetic going on

absolutely fabulous - Edit

I was lucky enough to be staying at the hostel across from Minh Chay so I ate there daily. I don't eat wheat, so they were great about changing some of their dishes to suit me. Everything was delicious but the snail soup (wheat free) was very unique!

Excellent vegan restaurant tucked away near Hoan Kiem lake! - Edit

We stumbled upon this place quite serendipitously on our way to a restaurant that had some veggie options--we saw a sign for a vegan restaurant right next to the St Joseph Cathedral. We decided to follow it, and I'm so glad we did!

My husband and I shared the fried spring rolls, the vegan snail soup, and a sandwich with fries. I got passionfruit juice, and he got coffee. Everything was TRULY excellent. This is non-pretentious but thoughtful and delicious food. It's expensive, but we were incredibly satisfied with every single plate. It's not a place to eat every day if you're on a budget, but well worth a visit.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, and the restaurant is cute and quiet. It's got a modern-yet-rustic vibe in a casual way, not a hipster try-hard way.

This is one of my favorite fully-vegan restaurants I've ever been to. Top 5 for sure!

Pros: Excellent food, Good portions, Friendly, helpful staff

Cons: Expensive (but worth it now and then)

Really good pho! - Edit

Really great fake beef pho. Wonderful flavours and really close to a good meat pho (from memory). Ordered a pizza which was pretty terrible but that's probably my fault for ordering vegan pizza in Vietnam. The faux cheese was really sweet and had the texture of whipped cream. Wasn't too cheap but overall not a bad experience.

Pros: great pho!

Cons: terrible pizza, a bit pricey

Delicious - Edit

Had the Pho and both fried and fresh rolls. Feeling a bit jet lagged this was a very welcome, fresh and tasty meal. Location is good near St Joseph's Cathedral and away from the busy streets. Service was great with English menu.

Pros: Wide choice and fresh

Pho-nomenal - Edit

The pho was extremely delicious! Tasted pretty close to regular pho and they've somehow managed to mimic the texture of the 'beef' quite well. Staff are really friendly too and the atmosphere is cosy.

Fine, nothing amazing - Edit

The restaurant looks nice, the service is good. Ordered the rice rolls which I liked but my companions found boring. The lemongrass mushroom just tasted like ginger, really strong. The fried mushroom tasted fried, which is something it had going for it, but not much more to say than that. The black sesame milk was good.

Pros: Nice decor

Cons: Only ok food

SO TASTY - Edit

Had to stop mid meal to write a review cos it was so good!! we had the mushroom steak, the mushroom and bean pancake, and the fried vietnam rolls. So incredibly delicious and the staff are so friendly!! 10/10 I wanna take this place home with me

flavorful - Edit

The dish I ordered (aubergines cooked with sesame seeds) was very tasteful. I loved it. Just to mention that I had to order rice for 10k with it (it was not included and not written in the menu).
The cashew nut milk I had at the end was also very good. I asked without sugar, it was just perfect.
The only thing I can complain about is the prices, but I guess this is not the same quality as the other chay restaurants I usually go to.

2 Responses

veganvirtues 08 Nov 2016 - Fab Pap, how can you compare Minh Chay with 'Bo De Quan'? ' The only thing I can complain about is the prices, but I guess this is not the same quality as the other chay restaurants I usually go to'. You can complain about prices. But Bo De Quan quality is not in the same league as Minh Chay. Food which is prepared hours before and is left exposed and on display to the air environment, people breathing over the food, is certainly not conducive to ones health. Minh Chay is served a la carte much healthier. You pay for what you get.

FabulousPaprika 10 Nov 2016 - @veganvirtues That's exactly what I meant by "I guess this is not the same quality as the other chay restaurant I usually go to." because I often eat at cheap chay places, which are really good, but this restaurant is definitely on an other level and I'm not comparing.

Minh Chay - Edit

Dined here this evening, I had written a review about this place my first time here but seems to be missing. I found it not the same quality of the food than the first time around. Although I loved it being 100% vegan, no msg and not overly flavoured they gave fresh herbs which I ate with my dinner. I had fresh raw spring rolls, fried rice with cashews and a casserole pot of shitake mushroom with tumeric. Each dish was well garnished with small bunches of mint leaves, and a baked large flat sesame cracker. Had a glass bottle jar of fresh passionfruit juice. My bill came to 255,000d ($10), very reasonably priced. Got the Happy Cow sticker.

Pros: friendly staff and they spoke English well., Decor and ambience was great, good value and good food

Try it! - Edit

really modern, clean and nice restaurant. easy to find and friendly service. the food came fast and was very good. we were fine with the prices (juice 35.000, pho 55.00) but the servings aren't really big.

Pros: everything ist vegan

Not worth the money - Edit

This was our first stop in Hanoi - waiters very friendly and really seemed to care about you having a good experience in their restaurant. We ordered one of the menus and unfortunately it wasn't as good as we hoped for. It wasn't terrible but overall just lacked in flavour and especially for their prices which are quite high we expected more. We ate much better for less money after that, so wouldn't really recommend.

Pros: Friendly staff , Nice interior

Cons: Expensive , Bland food

A classy vegan restaurant near the Cathedral - Edit

A nice little place with fresh and funky interior and very cool wall art. Service from a smile from the waitress who spoke good English.

I was surprised at the prices at this place, definitely on the pricey side for local vegan food (from memory, about 60,000 for my noodles and 50,000 for the cashew-nut milk ). I had snail noodle soup which said 'vegetarian' on the menu, but I checked with the waitress and she said it’s vegan (all dishes here are vegan). It was a big bowlful filled to brimming point with tomato broth, vermicelli noodles, tofu, vegan sausage, tomato, chives and mushroom + a plate of greens. Unfortunately, it was a little disappointing as a bit too much on the bland side for my liking; I expected more flavour for the price. The cashew nut milk was really good and the jam-jar type glass it came in was cute.

I would definitely come back here for a drink and just to hang out as I love the funky décor and this place is in one of my favourite parts of the old quarter. Not sure if I’d bother with the food again though. I understand that it's located in an upmarket area, but so is Noodle n Roll just around the corner and they do some very good vegan dishes for around 30,000vnd.

The map on here for this place is slightly off, it showed this on the left-side of the cathedral. Actually, if you're facing the cathedral it’s the street to the right, opposite Impressive hotel.

Pros: Fresh and funky interior, Cool wall-art, Located in a great area

Cons: Pricey

veganvirtues 30 Oct 2016 - Hi how can you compare Minh Chay 100% vegan with Noodle & Roll 30% veggie, it's a carni place with 'vegan' options? Noodle and Roll uses MSG, dairy, eggs, cheese, utensils for both carni and vegan cooking. 'Pricey'?? 69-89,000d for a mains ($3 to $4) -you could never pay those prices in the west. Besides you get what you pay for Noodle & Roll highly seasoned and the money u spend there goes towards supporting the carni industry.

Great - Edit

Various and delicious food, both Vietnamese and Western style. Kind of expensive but affordable ('coz it's located in the expensive area of Hanoi)

Pros: Good food, Nice decor, Center position, English speaking staff

Cons: Kind of expensive

goodness and fun at the same time - Edit

I was a touch trepidatious about coming here having read some cautionary reviews stating how expensive it is. I would agree if viewed only in a local comparative light but come on, next to what I have to pay in London it is great value.

Service was welcoming and pleasant without being intrusive and the guys offered good advice on my selection so I didn't over order as I was going to. I am so pleased I listened to them as my spring rolls and mushroom hot pot could have fed three!

Food was fresh and tasty and I ate with the feeling of goodness flowing through my veins. And on top of all this they have non-alcoholic vegan beers.

I loved it and will return on my next visit without doubt.

Pros: food, ambience, service

Cons: none if on looks past the cost which is still good

Very expensive - Edit

A very neat and nice little restaurant. Unfortunately it's a very pricey place. Pho is about 55k, main dishes around 89k, drinks take place around 30k.
They serve mediocre food (not bad but nothing special), so the value for money is unbalanced.

Pros: English menu, friendly staff, nice place

Cons: expensive

Highly recommended! - Edit

Just tried this place for the first time today and really enjoyed it! I had a burger, spring rolls, vegan grilled rice, and cashew nut milk. Would definitely go back soon :)

Pros: Delicious , Nice cozy vibe , Friendly staff

Cons: Portion is a bit small , Map on HappyCow doesn't match the reality

Buen ambiente y comida aceptable - Edit

El local y el ambiente son agradables, el personal es amable y la comida es aceptable.

Algunos platos merecen un 10, como el Vegan Pan Bread with Paté y el Vegan BBQ Roasted Jack.

Los precios no son baratos, pero son aceptables (5€ los mejores platos en agosto de 2016).

Pros: Decoración, ambiente y climatización agradables., Variedad de platos para todos los gustos, Buena ubicación cerca de St. Jodeph Cathedral en H

Great atmosphere. Clean. Welcoming & delicious - Edit

After having some disappointing vegan meals in Hanoi, we were very satisfied after leaving this place.
We passed by one day to check out the menu. The owner welcomed us at the door and was happy to have a chat to us. The next day we returned and it was worth it. Vegan bread and pate was awesome..super tasty. Then we got the hot pot which was great too!
Staff were very attentive and friendly.
Decor is great, air con, wifi and very clean.
A little bit more upmarket than some other vegan meals you may find on the street but definitely worth it and nothing that will break your pocket.

Pros: Service, Food, Atmosphere

Great food - Edit

The food is surely the best we tried in a couple of days in Hanoi. Everything was tasty and perfectly cooked.
The only thing is that was quite more expensive then any other veg spot in Hanoi. We chose the all you can eat buffet which was really appealing, and we ate a lot, had also tea and fruit included but the price per person is 9.5 $, which is definitely more than two times what you usually pay for food in Hanoi.
Anyway it was really worth the deal because of the quality of food and the nice atmosphere and the helpful staff.
Location on the map is wrong, the place is a little more up the way, on the left when coming from the cathedral.

Pros: Amazing food

Cons: Buffet solution is pricey

không gian đẹp ấn tượng! - Edit

Nhà hàng có không gian ấm cúng, nhân viên nhiệt tình trẻ trung, còn hơi rụt rè. Mình ăn món nấm đậu xúc bánh đa thật tuyệt! cảm ơn! lần sau mình sẽ thử món khác nữa

Pros: đồ ăn tuyệt vời

Cons: nhân viên cần tự tin hơn

A great surprise! - Edit

This restaurant opened down the road from our hotel, we literally went there on the 3rd day it opened! Food was really good, amazing service and atmosphere - and most of all, very affordable!

We ate there 4 times!

Their seaweed rice is definitely a must try :)

Pros: Yummy food, Great prices, Lovely atmosphere in a good location

Cons: None!

Return to Hanoi Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Minh Chay closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.