Mildred's Dalston

+44-2080171815

1 Dalston Sq, Dalston Ln, Hackney, East London, England, E8 3GU

A vegetarian restaurant offering a wide range of food, from curry to burritos to pasta to tagine, some of which is vegan. Opened from Aug 29th, 2017 at 5pm. Multiple locations. Open Mon-Fri 12:00pm-11:00pm, Sat 10:00am-11:00pm, Sun 10:00am-10:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, International, Delivery, European

First Review by Plumesworld

Favourite restaurant - Edit

Mildreds is one of my favourite restaurants in London so was super happy when they opened this branch. The food is always so good and good portions too. I’m not a huge fan of the setting of this branch and much prefer Kings cross as it’s a little cosier but still a great place to eat! We love to bring our omnivore friends and family here to show that “normal food” (I.e pie/burgers/curry etc) can all be veganised and still taste amazing.

My first time - Edit

First time i had been to Mildred's although i was told about this restaurant last year albeit the Soho one. Visited here last Sunday. Was really please. The decor was nice and trendy, which i guess you would expect now for Dalston. The food was delicious and the staff very friendly. Enjoyed thoroughly.

Pros: Good menu, Friendly staff, Nice decor

Sooo disappointing......... unlikely to return! - Edit

Mildred’s in Soho was a new venue in London when I started eating out in London 25 years ago. It was mainly vegetarian but it was smart and the food really good. It should therefore be a cause of celebration that they have opened a further 3 restaurants in London recently. Sadly it is not. Mildreds appear to have the same level of imagination as slaughterhouses have of animal compassion.
I went with an enthusiastic vegan friend - Anja- to try the new Dalston outlet, my fingers crossed in fervent hope that this place would have a new menu or at least some more variation.
Thankfully Anja had not had tried Mildreds before so their classic burger and Mushroom and Ale pie were ordered. I have had all their vegan options before. I realise that some sad economic models would say that if a formula makes money then do not change it… but this is food! it is an art! - or should be! Yes I know some people go back to a restaurant and have the same comfort food every time, thats not me. I crave new tastes, new sensations and if I am to pay serious money in a restaurant I expect something new. I feel sorry for the chefs at Mildreds, like the burger bar automaton having to knock out the same dishes day in day out. What a waste of such a well equipped big kitchen! Having said that the Ale pie we got was badly burnt on the inside, the filo pastry inedible (see photo) we ate the inners spiced though they were with charcoal - something different at least! Maybe the chefs are already fed up?
My irritation with the same menu is in part because I have a special diet. I have been vegan for over 30 years and so am delighted that Mildreds has so many vegan options. I have also been Sugar Free for 3 years, like many other health conscious folk I realised how bad the sugar fix is in our diets. Mildreds offer only one miserable sugar free dessert .. “Balls”! Given how great the cakes are at So Vegan or Vantra it is seriously short sighted of Mildreds to stick with the refined sugar addiction.
The building is new, spacious and light. The furniture and decor is pleasant (looks like they did major raid on IKEA) and unlike the other branches there is plenty of space between the tables. The music volume is nice and low so conversation was easy. The staff were all friendly and helpful- checking the ingredients etc.
Comrade Anja had the apple crumble and enjoyed it, I had the rest of my very agreeable Earl Grey tea - though it could be argued that a pot that small hardly counts as a pot!

Pros: Nice comfortable light and airy building, Lots of railings to lock your bicycles to outside, Some good food

Cons: Same menu as other outlets, Only one "token" sugar free dessert option, Not inexpensive

2 Responses

jon active 03 Sep 2017 - Anja's review;

Today my friend and I went to try out the new Mildreds restaurant in Dalston. The ambience and decor of the place is pleasant and the staff were really friendly and helpful. We ordered the Ale and Mushroom pie and their Classic - sweet potato and lentil - burger. the burger was ok, not the best I’ve ever had but a good healthy option. We choose sweet potato chips and herb mayo with the burger which were great. The pie is not a “real “ pie but a filo pastry affair with leek and mushroom filling. The pastry was burnt rather badly and tasted bad enough that we didn’t eat it, that was rather disappointing. We then had a dessert, only the one for me as my friend doesn’t eat refined sugar and the only Sugar Free option Mildreds offer is Fuzzy Green Raw Balls which are a bit boring. I had the Peach, Strawberry and Bramley Apple Polenta Crumble with Vanilla Ice cream which was nice. Given my experience today I am not really tempted to go back again but hope to take my friend somewhere better next time.

SarahFeehan 24 Jan 2018 - I've not been to the other branches for quite a while, so didn't realise the menu is the same in all of them - that is pretty disappointing! I went when it was 50% off and the food was generally fine but I'd not hurry back at full price as it didn't blow me away

Impressed as always - Edit

Having been to other Mildreds locations I had to try this one when it opened (especially as there was 50% off for the 1st 2 weeks!) There are lots of vegan dishes or ones that can be made vegan. I had the Vietnamese Mock duck noodles and the pandan panna cotta and both were fabulous. The service was really good and you would never have been able to tell they'd only opened the day before!

Return to East London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mildred's Dalston closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.