Marukoshi

+381-644794715

Kapetan Misina 37, Belgrade, Serbia

Serves meat, vegan options available. Asian food restaurant where vegans could get a miso soup, noodles, curry and croquettes, edamame, salads, and even dessert. Has vegetable tempura though likely shares fryer with non-veg stuff. Open Tue-Thu 9:00am-12:00am, Fri-Sat 9:00am-1:00am.

Categories: Ovo, Japanese, Asian, Non-veg

First Review by tsproc

cup_of_tea

Points +136

10 Feb 2019

best restaurant in town - Edit

EVERYTHING is perfect. Starters, soups, dishes, fried veggies, desserts, the whole menu is really fresh and comes from traditional dishes from japan. I've traveled a lot in the world and tried Japanese food in a lot of countries (except japan where I've never had the chance to go lol), restaurants or Japanese persons cooking for me, and this one is in my top 3. The first and second where grandma's kitchens. Even if the dishes are really big and you feel like you're not hungry anymore, don't forget to try the sweet red bean paste in the desserts - it's all vegan and no added sugar with coconut "chantilly" cream, so tasty, so good, so natural, so traditional, perfect for the body and for the soul!

Pros: mainly non-smoking, good music, huge portions

Cons: They say they have belgian beer but it's not, one of the waiters is really not professional

urzoth

Points +84

07 Jan 2019

Japanese vegan food - Edit

Even though it's not a vegan restaurant they have a ton of vegan options (and that is currently rare for Belgrade). The location is in the center of the city and it's easy to find. 😁😁

AriTómasson

Points +30

29 Sep 2018

Pretty good food - Edit

Fair amount of vegan options, clearly marked. Good atmosphere and segmented non-smoking area. Huge portions. Problem is I thought the tempura wasn’t crispy enough and the miso ramen was pretty bland. Will come back to try other options though.

Pros: Fair amount of vegan options, Good atmosphere, Huge portions

Cons: A bit bland

Hedera

Points +392

22 Sep 2018

Delicious Japanese vegan food - Edit

The food here is A. M. A. Z. I. N. G.! I came here with my boyfriend and we enjoyed our dinner so much. Both of our dishes were excellent. The vegan options are clearly marked.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Friendly staff, Delicious food

Sofithevegan

Points +25

20 Sep 2018

Quite a few vegan options here including RAMEN! - Edit

Quite a few vegan options listed on menu. Remember to indicate that you want it made vegan just in case. We were very happy with our food - it was fantastic. I really did not expect to find vegan ramen in Belgrade and it was great!

VOEG

Points +156

14 Jul 2018

Des tempuras et un bol de udons délicieusement bons - Edit

Un personnel aux petits soins, des prix doux et une cuisine pleine de saveurs

Pros: Cuisine très bonne et abordable

Cons: Manque d'options sucrées

g4v4g4i

Points +16

06 May 2018

authentic and delicious Japanese food - Edit

Had a blast here with fantastic vegan Japanese dishes. The food tastes quite authentic, just how i remember it from veggie places in Japan. Staff is very friendly as well.

Pros: quite some vegan options, non-smoking part (smoking only upstairs), friendly staff and nice interior

renurenu

Points +20

06 May 2018

Incredible and authentic Japanese vegan kitchen - Edit

Absolutely amazing Japanese food. A whole variety of vegan dishes, all tasting differently, and just like what I've tasted in Japan. Big portions, so starters aren't necessary though they are extremely good as well:) Finally, nice and cozy place (with nonsmoking area) with very friendly staff.

Pros: Excellent vegan dishes from an authentic Japanese

emmzterzic

Points +27

01 Oct 2017

Amazing food, lovely staff, wonderful restaurant - Edit

My absolute favorite restaurant in Belgrade! Marukoshi is an amazing place in the best part of Belgrade, lovely location, the atmosphere in the restaurant is always very relaxed and welcoming, the staff is very helpful and the food is sooo good! they have cooking classes where they teach you to make their authentic meals(everything with vegan options!) every monday. the teacher, Nahoko, always does her best to substitute any ingredients you might not want to make your food with. This is a lovely place that I would recommend to anyone, not only asian food lovers and vegans, there is something for every person. Wish they had even more vegan options! would give it 5 stars if it was possible

Pros: amazing location, authentic, amazing food, big portions

Cons: none

becx.ray

Points +368

Herbivore
30 Sep 2017

Big portion, great desserts and helpful staffs - Edit

I dine here few times. It's not as bad as the other previous reviewer said. Maybe he/she is not used to Japanese curry. However the tempura was a bit too oily for me, the croquettes was good though. Plus, I love the fact that they veganize the desserts and they have stuffs with Green Tea!

Updated from previous review on 2017-09-30

Pros: Vegan desserts, Big portion, English menu

MashaShmidov

Points +24

16 Jun 2017

not recommended - Edit

Weird food, my salad was nice but the rice and carry terible. The staff vas helpful and nice.

Pros: none

Cons: weak

BernhardWodl

Points +87

01 Dec 2016

great & delicious Japanese food - Edit

Had a great dinner - starter, main & desert; vegetarian & vegan dishes available. A "must" if you like japanese food! Friendly staff and great atmosphere, smoking &a nonsmoking sektion

tsproc

Points +134

28 Aug 2016

Pretty Fly for a Non-vegan Venue - Edit

I've read about Marukoshi in an article that summarizes best places to go to as a vegan in Belgrade. I can't find the link now, but if you're interested in reading it, let me know and I'll try harder.

We wandered through Belgrade completely aimlessly and anyway we've stumbled upon this place. It had a really nice sitting outside made out of oil barrels and little štokrlata (I don't know how to say it in english). The overall atmosphere was pretty chill, it's a calm street plus they had happy hours at the moment, so we have decided to sit down.

Their staff was quirky, but helpful. They have vegan and vegetarian options clearly marked on the menu. I chose potato croquettes and japanese curry with rice, plus in the happy hours sencha for the symbolic price of 10DIN per a large caraffe.

It's not that unusual (padadadam imagine Tom Jones singing) for me to go to nonvegan restaurants, whether they serve coagulated mother's milk, bellies of pigs or bird ova.
It, however, is unusual to review them and recommend them to my friends.
I tried to ignore this aspect while reading the menu, I really did. However I look at it though, putting dismembered bellies of animals on heaps of rice and other healthy plant-based meals is like an epitome of needless killing of sentient beings.
And I'm already vegan so I'm unable to overlook such a breach of animal rights. Yes, I realize that there is demand. Yes, I realize that it is us, customers, who are mainly responsible for this. That is why I no more make distinctions between "us" and "them".
So go vegan, open your eyes and heart, no matter where you are.
Getting back to the point, this is the only negative that keeps me from enthusiastically clapping for a great concept and perspective that this venue would otherwise have.

I've also asked about their vegan options of desserts (the menu actually encouraged me to do so! ahaha) and the waiter said that they are all available in vegan options. This is one of the reasons why I want to return to Belgrade, and return to Marukoshi as well.

I wanted to click on "Fair" but then realized being fair means being vegan.
So I chose the "needs improvement" two-star rating.

Pros: friendly/funny staff, meal was incredibly tasty and filling, sencha with meal practically for freeee

Cons: serves pig bellies and bird ova (BIG con)

Return to Belgrade Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Marukoshi closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.