Mango

Contact 0824579071

19 Thanon Tanao, Wat Bowon Niwet, Phra Nakhon, Bangkok, Thailand,

Vegetarian restaurant and art gallery in a small space with free Wi-Fi, est. Apr 2014. Offers a mix of Thai food (curries, soups) and western food (salads, pita falafel with hummus, cakes) along with beverages like smoothies and coffee. Sells vegan cakes. Labels if a dish is vegan. Sources some produce from the owner's farm. On Tanao Rd one block from Khao San Rd in Banglamphu which is a tourist destination especially for the budget traveler. Mon-Sun 9:00am-11:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Thai, Western, Take-out

First Review by reissausta ja ruokaa

A wonderful way to land to Bangkok - Edit

I went there three times during my time in Bangkok.
I loved the food and the staff was very nice.
If you're on budget, this is a bit expensive. Worth every baht though. I had Mango style salad rolls (190baht) and I can highly recommend it. Also alot of healthy smoothies, kombucha, coffees, vegan/vegetarian options etc. Free wifi also and AC.

best vegan food in bangkok - Edit

delicious food, we had pineapple fried rice, and gluten free pancakes, I can recommend both oh it.AC, nice atmosphere, good located next to kao San Rd, vegan/vegetarian food, vegan food is labeled, nice English speaking staff, awesome cappuccino with almond milk! wifi available, you have to leave your shoes outside, before entering

Pros: AC, wifi, labeled vegan food

great for dinner! - Edit

We've eaten three times here. Twice for dinner & once for breakfast. I enjoyed our dinners (loved the steamed dumplings) but the breakfast was very average. The 'muesli' was just rice crispies & dried taro and pancakes were too doughy. They do have awesome smoothies & main dishes though.
P.S. They say the icecream is vegan but it tastes too much like dairy for me to enjoy it. I'm skeptical that it's vegan.

Pros: great drinks menu, nice atmosphere, cute kittens

Cons: terrible breakfast options

fab food! - Edit

This place is totally a must! All vegan food is written in green, & there's a crazy amount to choose out of. Food portions are hugeeee, & so scrummy! I had the glass noodle pad Thai & iced mango smoothie, both super tasty. Friendly staff, & you have the option of sitting on the floor & playing with kittens as you eat. Great food & baby animals, an obvious win win!

Incredible food, although a little expensive - Edit

Mango is fantastic. When you walk in you take off your shoes and have the option to sit on cushions on the floor, or tables and chairs.
I suggest the floor, because two cute cats live here and they are always keen for a pat.

The selection of food is extensive. Curries, Stir frys, and fried rices are all here, and they all have funky variations. Also have burgers and a full extensive breakfast menu. Also a super incredible listed drinks.

ALL VEGAN ITEMS ON THE MENU ARE GREEN. 80% vegan.

We ordered ginger kombucha, which was strong as hell and super delicious.
A curry with red rice, which had super large portions of vegetables and an incredible sauce.
A tempeh, mushroom and vegie stir-fry, which was incredible. Tempeh was cooked perfectly, and again, a wide range of vegies came out in huge slices.

Each meal is roughly 100baht, so quite expensive for the area. (You can just walk a block away and get pad Thai for 20baht)
But, I would strongly recommend coming here at least once.

Staff were friendly, and the food was memorable.

Love, Daniel.

Pros: huge range of food. large portions. Cats ready for

Cons: Quite expensive for the area.

Very nice - Edit

Went here with my boyfriend and tried the Crispy Vegetable Spring Rolls as a starter because some reviews recommended them - absolutely delicious although you only get four of them.

I ordered the Red Thai Curry with rice I had to pay extra for (35 Baht) and my bf tried the Tom yum soup after someone on here said it is delicious. He was very pleased and it was definitely one of his highlights!

The Red Thai Curry was alright, not the best one I've ever had but it was delicious as expected.

For desert.. we chose the Chocolate Lava Cake which isn't very much at all but just the right size after you had a filling meal and it will definitely satisfy your cravings. It also has a liquid chocolate filling which you can see in the picture I submitted.

All in all I would come back to Mango. The meals are all around 90-120 Baht so it's more on the pricy side for Bangkok. But I'd say, If you choose to eat at one "more expensive" restaurant, make it Mango. (Paid 14€ for a soup, water, two sets of the Spring Rolls, Red Thai Curry and the Lava Cake.)

Mango has a no shoe policy (just leave your shoes outside) which makes the place a cozy and clean place to eat at and it almost feels like home.

Excellent - Edit

Really excellent extensive menu with many options. Lots of vegan options, all colour coded. Probably the best spring rolls I've ever had. Delicious pad Thai and currys... Amazing dessert selection too for vegans. Only negative is service is the tiniest bit slow, didn't receive our drinks until well into our meal, but this is really much of a muchness! Don't hesitate to eat here.

Delicious Massaman Curry! - Edit

As above! The curry was to die for, even though there were a couple chunks of undercooked veg, I just avoided them and the dish was definitely filling enough, after also having had a lovely smoothie. It's a little more expensive but very nice food, a great selection and a cute space very close to busy Khao San Road.

Delicious, clean food - Edit

The menu is extensive! Was really hard to choose a dish, so I will definitely be returning to try more. I had the tempeh burger which although it was missing the roasted pineapple (due to a lack of pineapple?!) was still amazingly tasty. The ice latte with coconut milk that my friend had was amazing. There is fried ice cream and seep fried cheesecake on the menu, but I was sadly too full to try either (both vegan). A really nice space and friendly service. Will visit again!

Pros: Fresh, Clearly labelled vegan options, Filling

Cons: Sometimes missing ingredients

Perfect!!! - Edit

Really cute little Restaurant! I Must say the spring rolles were the best i have ever eaten- and i'm 95% sure i will Never eat better ones- this Garlic mustard dip- to die for!
And one more Thing- chocolate Lava cake with Coconut Icecream!!!! ❤️❤️❤️

Thai food that's not too spicy - Edit

If you're looking for not so spicy Thai food, this is a great option. If you want more authentic flavorful and spicy food, better to visit some of the other veg restaurants in the city, including a couple in the same area as mango.

Pros: Great drink selection

Cons: The food is toned down for tourists' sto

Wonderful Staff in a Cozy Restaurant - Edit

I thought Mango was pretty charming. It has neat floor seating and the staff were very kind. The location is pretty decent if you are staying near Khao San Rd. I rocked their vegan pancakes a couple times and they were delicious. It wasn't cheap, but it was worth the money.

Pros: Great Staff, Cozy restaurant, Awesome pancakes

great wholefood - Edit

We jest went by, we were actually looking for another restaurant. But this was great! Really good food! Mostly vegan! A little small room so it was quite noisy.

Pros: food, staff

Cons: loud

amazing vegan food!!! - Edit

This place is great value. The thick shakes made with brown rice milk and chocolate and banana are my fav. Also obsessed with the creamy mushroom soup and the raw spring rolls. Everything I tasted was incredible. The deep fried cheesecake was just oh my god. Go there now.

Pros: amazing taste, friendly staff, good value

Cons: toilet didn't close too well

Very Disappointing - Edit

It was like bad curried dishes not well cooked with big chunks of cauliflower, onion and corn and a bit pricey for what it was offering. I left most of the food behind and would rate this as the second worst veggie restaurant I've been too.

The best thing I had was the chocolate and raisin shake which I could get easily elsewhere.
Updated from previous review on Monday January 25, 2016

Pros: cool comfortable seating, the drinks

Cons: terrible food, bit pricey for what it offers

bad service messed up our bill - Edit

Did not feel welcome. No glasses for our bottle waters. Not cutlery or additional plates to share the food. Brought wrong things. They messed up our order and they were really upset about it. The food was cold by the time the they brought us our cutlery. Never got the water glasses.

Pros: decent food.

Cons: bad service. , verify your bill. , ordering by number so as not to make a mistake.

nice to check out, not my favourite. it depends on what you order - Edit

one of the nicer-looking restaurants in Bangkok. I think it's totally understandable though that the opinions vary so much. it's either your thing or it's not. it also really depends on what you order since i had the muesli for breakfast which was good but not worth the money at all and the jasmine rice briyani which was great! i think it was worth the price because of the big portion that was almost too much and the special ingredients like taro, lotus root, gingko seeds, water chestnuts etc. you either like that they cut the veggies in huge chunks or you don't.
the owner is definitely very friendly and funny! and i love that the vegan options are clearly marked and that they even offer eg vegan ice cream or vegan baked beans!

Pros: clearly marked vegan dishes, many options, special

Cons: a bit expensive depending on the dish

Not impressed - Edit

Unfortunately I wasn't impressed with this place at all. I had ordered the "falafel and hummus"-dish and it was awful - in fact it had almost nothing to do with real falafel and real hummus. The location is nothing special and we did not feel very welcome. However, there were other guests who seemed to like their food and who had been there several times before, so maybe only the western choices are not so good. I'd recommend you to eat thai dishes if you go there!

Great menu - wonderful food - don´t miss it! - Edit

OMG - I was so happy I found the MANGO while I was in Bangkok. I went there 3 times in 36 hours! The food was just sooooo good and fresh and VEGAN. I loved it.
I highly recommend the vegan chocolate cake and the black rice Mango style ! DELICIOUS!!!

Pros: big menu, delicious organic food, great location near Kaho San Road

Cons: a bit more pricy than usual thai places

Amazing dessert, awful dish - Edit

The place is nice. The veggies and tofu sausage stroganoff was very disappointing: just a coconut cream with veggies and superboiled spaghetti... No balance no taste. The dessert, however, was great. The cocoa lava cake has a heart of chocolate cream, just perfect with the coconut ice cream. So five stars dessert and 1 star main dish

Pros: dessert

Cons: tofu stroganoff

Yawn - Edit

Maybe these "modern" vegetarian/vegan restaurants just aren't my thing? Another okay-but-nothing-more place where the food doesn't taste much; I guess one's paying (extra) for a nicer environment.

Pros: One can sit on the floor

the best vegan in Bangkok! - Edit

My boyfriend (vegetarian) and I (vegan) are currently travelling around south east Asia. We've been to Bangkok, Chiang mai, Luang Prabang, Vang Vieng, Vientiane and Hanoi. And still, we keep reminiscing on our meal here at Mango! So so delicious!!! We will be back Mango! Just you wait! (We ordered the pumpkin soup, tempeh burger and nachos)

Pros: amazing food, friendly staff, fair prices

Nice place, food okay (maybe choose wrong dish) - Edit

I thought this place looked really nice. I like places that combines café / restaurants with art (especially if local artists). But I was disappointed with the food. I had the Pad See-U and it tasted like a mediocre Chinese dish you can get in Sweden. Maybe I should have chosen something else (I see the fried rice was highly recommended in another review) , because it just wasn't anything special to it. Ambiance was nice and the mango juice was quite good.

Pros: Nice staff , Good vibes

Cons: The food wasn't the best (sorry)

Best meal if my LIFE - Edit

Omg.. i never had such a yummy fried rice EVER in my life.. food is awesomely yummy that makes me wanna cry.. I've been there on January.. unforgettable. . Now another trip to Bangkok and i wish to travel to Bangkok again just to est there. I feel am gonna cry now.. i wish i could steal his recipe lol❤

Great Food! - Edit

A small and fairly quiet restaurant very close to Khao Sahn road, they deserve to be busier as their food is really top notch. The falafel burger is huge and excellent and they have their own twist on some classic Thai dishes.

Good food, very large portions! - Edit

The food here is really nice, the portions are huge so a starter and a main will fill you up completely. The pad thais are delicious and they do good shakes. The staff are not overly friendly or attentive and the vibe isn't great there. I would choose Ethos which is just around the corner over this restaurant.

Pros: Huge Servings - good value, Excellent Food

Cons: Staff not very friendly, Not the best vibe in the restaurant

Tasty and Wholesome, amazing curries! - Edit

I have been to Mango twice now and both times I was very pleased. Everything talked about below is vegan, with the exception of Shu Mai, which my companions ate. The first time I got Tom Yum AND Northern Thailand curry(Hung lay), not realizing at this point how huge their portions sizes were. The tom yum, in my opinion, was a little bland, but by no means bad. The curry was beyond amazing. It was full of hearty vegetables and pineapple slices. I saw in a previous review a complaint about the large and thickly cut vegetables, but I actually really enjoyed that because they weren't overpowered by the rich curry sauce. I highly recommend everyone tries the Northern Thailand curry.

Next visit I ordered the green curry, which I highly enjoyed as well! My most recent visit to Mango was actually just a few hours ago, and I'm still incredibly full from that huge plate of green curry and black rice. It definitely can be split and serve two people.

The staff was helpful and friendly, and who I perceived to be the owner was very kind and spoke English well.

Prices:
Tom yum: I think 90 baht, I can't remember, sorry!
Both curries: 115 baht
One serving of brown rice; 35 baht
Maybe a little pricey, but very high quality with large portion sizes

Overall, a really great restaurant! I can't wait to eat there my last two days in Bangkok

Updated from previous review on Monday June 29, 2015

I went a 3rd time with a group of 5 people. We ordered:

two orders of Tom Ka(spicy coconut soup)- not that spicy, more sweet but still good, just not spicy

Green curry fried rice- Really tummy, but not too curry-esque. I think I would have preferred regular green curry and a side of rice

Vegetable Shui Mai- this is only vegetarian so I didn't eat, but everyone said it was delicious and similar to a samosa

More Hung Lay(northern style curry)- so delicious as always, the lotus in this is so delicious

Pad See U- sooo good. This is like pad Thai but with wider noodles.

3 orders of brown rice- wayyyy to much, we didn't eat a serving and a half

My 3rd visit was especially good, it's so nice to go with a large group of people so you can sample everything

Pros: Delicious Curry, Nice Staff, Big portions

Cons: Just a tiny bit pricey

yummy vegan /vegetarian - Edit

another yummy vegan/vegetarian restaurant in Bangkok. though I prefer may kaidee vegetarian restaurant, mango is also an excellent restaurant. it offers way more beverage options -kombucha, fresh squeezed juices, frozen fruit with coconut milk, yogurt lassi and more. there's more of a sense of community and the owner is bit of a clown. so, mango has more enjoyable atmosphere and may kaidee offers more creative and tastier meals. be clear, mango is very yummy too and highly recommended. if I lived here, I'd alternate. be joy.

Pros: yummy and creative, value, super service

Has potential but disappointing - Edit

Fresh, experimental & an extra plus for beans, ginkgo & temphe.
It all looked very promising from the menu - lots to choose from! - but what we ordered did not meet my expectations and left our taste buds a bit dissatisfied. No saffron could be traced in saffron pilau, the Hung ley was lacking in spice. Too big chunks of all vegetables and the same kinds were used in fried rice, curry & sallad. There is actually potential but I'll wait for new reviews before I go back.

Pros: Fresh ingredients , Friendly place, Nutrious ingredients

Cons: Seating is cramped

Delicious food !!! - Edit

The food was amazing! I ate there few times and loved it all. The meals were very big. The place was nice and cosy and the staff was very nice too.
It is not so cheap but I think it is still a good price for a size and quality of the meal you get ;))

mango! - Edit

nice to see more vegan places popping up in bangkok. mango is lovely. staff and the owner are very friendly. the food was great. it could have been a bit more spicy, but maybe they cater to tourists? we got plenty of extra chili on the side so it was good. i had the tom ka and that was fantastic. my partner ordered the kee mao noodle dish and it was also delicious. we will definitely be going back before we leave bangkok.

Pros: delicious, affordable, easy to find

Cons: too close to the hipsters

Not as great as I expected - Edit

On our last day in Bangkok we went to eat at Mango since the reviews raved about this place. The atmosphere is of course dependend on taste but unfortunately it wasn't my cup of tea. I expected lots of art but the white tiles were a bit cold to the eye. We ordered the house salad, summer rolls, a red curry and the mango pad thai. The owner was very welcoming but our waitress, maybe her first day, was a bit confused. The salad was a big disappointment, a bed of lettuce which was nice but on top chunks of fantastic papaya but unripe pineapple and big pieces of onion. I had salads at Ethos which were a lot nicer. Then the summer rolls. They were huge and stuffed with fruit and salad. The dressing was nice but a little hard to eat. The flavor was nice which is most important of course. The pad Thai was nice as well. The curry unfortunately was very sweet but the veggies in it where great, carrots, taro, peas, lotus root etc. I wasn't able to eat all of it because something gave me an allergy. All in all I was sad that it wasn't such a great experience because it sounded so great. I guess the kitchen might have had a bad day?

Pros: Cheap, Easy to find, Vegan clearly marked

Cons: Cold atmosphere, Taste was a bit off, I had an unpleasant allergic experience

yummy food, excellent place - Edit

Went there yesterday and was blown away by amazing taste of all fresh Mango Pad Thai. Lots of vegan options on their English menu. Very nice people, calm and relaxing atmosphere. They also serve beers. Prices moderate but appropriate for such great dishes. Must see, great artwork inside as well.

Pros: yummy vegan food, English menu, beer available, at

Must go to if near Kao San - Edit

When we went to Kao San road to check out the market a guy gave us a leaflet, I usually never take them but this time I did, and turns out it’s advertising a vegetarian/vegan restaurant. Mango was advertised with being a restaurant and art gallery.Although we just had quite a filling meal I realy wanted to go to Mango. Mango is about 3 minutes away from Khao San road located on Tanao road. There are 5 tables with chairs and 3 tables with cushions on the floor wth a cute pineapple decoration.

The menu is huge, filled with options for vegans and I would have loved to have a bigger meal, but was so full already, so ended up ordering a salad.

The falafel burger had a falafel in it, that looks nothing like the falafel we know from ”back home”. But apparently it was still delicious, served with a baked banana and some pineapple. I hope next time they’ll use a whole wheat burger. I had a mxed salad with ginger dressing. The salad was huge, and filled with lots of fresh vegetables, dried pineapple and taro snacks. My favourite was the dragon fruit shake which was mixed with some coconut water and was one of the best smoothies I’ve ever had.

Prices are more than reasonable for big portions and amazing fresh food. The waiter was very friendly and was more than happy answering our questions. This restaurant is a must-go-to if you are close to Khao San road.
For the full review including pictures: https://apartment2504.wordpress.com/2014/10/07/mango/

Pros: delicious fresh food, amazing atmosphere, great staff

Excellent food, friendly place: - Edit

We had lunch at Mango today, we tried the fried som tam (green papaya salad), the falafel burger and fried rice for our little daughter. A fresh pineapple juice and a chocolate-raisin-cinnamon-coconut smoothie as companions, the latter served as a modest dessert ;)
Everything was very fresh and tasty, the burger came with a surprising sauce and side of grilled pineapple and tomato. Lots of different local veggies and fried tempeh in the fried rice and the deep fried salad ingredients were perfect, not greasy at all.
As my wife is Thai, there was an extensive conversation, it turns out they opened only in April 2014, so the really busy season has yet to cone, starting next month. Hopefully this review and the ones above will generate them the deserved stream of guests. Nice paintings on the walls as well :)
Oh yeah, and they were very happy with my tip on marinating the tempeh before frying it to give it more taste.

Pros: peaceful atmosphere, friendly owners, great food

Cons: The tempeh tasted a bit bland

You have to try these salads! - Edit

There was very tasty and unusual meals: delicious soups, burgers and pasta. Its was most extraordinary salad which I tried at any time. Nice and friendly atmosphere. I strongly recommend for everyone!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, vegan menu

DIVINE!!! - Edit

Great vege food in a quaint cosy cafe w good music and great friendly staff!!

Loved the smoothies!!

Also decent wifi... Spent whole day here killing time before a bus trip...

NOTE: The owner just told me they will move across the street next month to a bigger location...

Pounded a ton of yummy smoothies!!!

Have since returned 3 times!!

Pros: Friendly Staff, Good quality ingredients , Great variety in the menu

Banoffee Pie From Heaven!!! - Edit

I popped into Mango after the people walking out were raving about the place - apparently they had been there twice that day! I had just eaten but I couldn't resist trying the vegan banoffee pie. And yes, it was worth the 125THB. Perfect salty graham cracker crust, amazing chocolatey/toffee/banana center topped by about an inch of the fluffiest soy whipped cream imaginable, a sprinkle of cocoa powder, and some chocolate syrup. Decadent. And it's all VEGAN. Uh-huh. Yup. Going back for more.

Great place to have coffee with vegan cake - Edit

This is the first restaurant I have found selling vegan cakes in Thailand. There has been a couple of places in Koh Tao and Chiang Mai selling frozen vegan raw food cakes. But this has at least three different vegan cakes. On the day I visited Mango there as vegan brownie pie available. The pie was very sweet and chocolatey and excellent because it was very moisture. I came with coconut ice cream, otherwise eating the cake would have been too heavy.

I also had cappucino with soy milk, the coffee was okay. What was special is that it came with a tray of four different kinds of sugars.

Other vegetarian restaurants Ethos and May Kaidee´s are very near this, and there are some others nearby, so the vegetarian restaurant scene in Banglampho is getting excellent.

Just walk to the beginning to Khao San Road (the end with Burger King), turn left and walk for one minute.

Pros: vegan cakes!, good music - not those awful lounge hits, good location near Khao San Road

Return to Bangkok Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mango closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5651 times since Apr 2014.