Mangla's Spice of Life

+44-2921324183

585 Cowbridge Rd E, Cardiff, Wales, CF5 1BE

Traditional Indian vegetarian food with vegan options. Cooks with sunflower oil. Uses locally sourced produce where possible. Open Tue-Sat 5:00pm-10:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by konlish

Birthday meal with non veggie parents - Edit

Very nice food, the bhajees were the best I've had - lovely & light. The poppadums, although oily were very nice and the indian spiced coleslaw that came with it very yummy and unusual. I had the thali with channa & veg Saak which were both very nice too. The wait time wasn't too long and we got to chat to the owner herself who was lovely. All in all pretty impressed, I will be back!

Pros: lovely food, good choice of wine, relaxed atmosphere

Cons: the decor is a bit of a mish mash, the staff need a bit more training, v young

Great Indian Food! - Edit

Mangala's spice of life.

Nice little restuarant that can get busy! So be prepared to wait a bit. We ordered the Taali for two people. Very much worth it and very filling. It had that home cooked feeling to it. We loved the Sambara. It reminded me so much of my dad's cooking. The food was tasty but had a bit too much oil.  I like that the food had just the right amount of salt and not salty.

We had the opportunity to speak to Mangala herself, who is the owner and chef of the restuarant. We saw her cook in the restuarant's open plan kitchen. Mangala loves cooking, her passion was ignited by her grandfather when she was just 10 years old. He taught her how to cook. She is an amazing and inspiring woman full of life. She loves to make use of fresh ingredients and aviods frozen and canned foods.  All vegetables are freshly chopped in store. Customers can provide special requests prior to cooking to allergies or preferences on less spice or oil.

The menu has mostly vegan items with the exception  of paneer in the main Paneer curry, butter on chapattis, yogurt dip and milk. From what we noticed the entire starters is vegan, chappathi can be made with oil, main has 6 curries with 1 being the paneer dish. She offers soy milk for hot drinks. Just make sure to mention you are vegan. I have requested she consider to offer Vegan Lassi and vegan desserts which she will consider on demand.

There are about 6 tables which can seat about 18 to 22 people. They play Indian music. The walls are surrounded by lovely pieces of art work created by Mangala's friend. Please go show your support to Mangala.

Pros: Lots of vegan options

Cons: Long waiting time, Use dairy products

Return to Cardiff Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mangla's Spice of Life closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.