Magic-Bento

Hakuba, Nagano, Japan, Hakuba

Serves meat, vegan options available. Curry bar with a few marked vegan choices: veg curry plate, deep fried tofu, and papad. Please send exact map coordinates to HappyCow. Open Mon-Tue 5:30pm-10:30pm, Thu-Sun 5:30pm-10:30pm.

Categories: Indian, Japanese, Fusion, Non-veg

First Review by ElizaJones

Over priced, Slow service - Edit

4 of us arrived at MagicBento in Hakuba on a tuesday evening at appx. 6.15pm. There were already 7 customers there and nobody was eating - still waiting for there food. My instinct was to leave straight away but my friends wanted to stay.
Before anyone got there food another large group of 8 people arrived - there were now 18 people in the restaurant and nobody eating!
The menu was quite simple main dish had only 2 choices - Vegetarian or Chicken curry.
The waitress did tell us that food would be delayed. We had to wait near 40 minutes for our food. The chicken curry was quite tasty and heated up properly, everything else was luke warm or cold, I requested a very spicy curry and was given a very small bowl of spicy sauce, that really wasn't very spicy and didn't last very long! The nan was the smallest I have ever eaten, it was perhaps 10cms. in diameter, I am used to huge Nans this was a big disappointment.
Then when we are paying the bill, we had to wait for this too! we were told the displayed prices didn't include the 8% tax (Doesn't Japanese law state displayed prices must show final price with 8% added?) after 8% was added we paid 1,490 Yen for a meal that left us all still feeling hungry, as soon as we got home the cup noodle and snacks came out!
I would never go here again - if you have a car go somewhere else, for 1,500 Yen there are much better dinner choices to be had.

Pros: Near the place we were staying., Friendly/nice waitress

Cons: Slow service, Mediocre food, Over priced.

Great option if staying in Hakuba Goryu area - Edit

Freshly made delicious curry. Staff knowledgeable on what is vegan. Just specify vegan :)

Return to Nagano Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Magic-Bento closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.