Mad Mex

Contact 215-382-2221

3401 Walnut St, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, 19104

Serves meat, vegan options available. Southwest steakhouse bar and grill. Items are marked and you could requested to make a dish vegan. Reported kitchen has seitan, tofu, and Daiya vegan cheese. Open Mon-Sun 12:00am-2:00am, Mon-Sun 11:30am-12:00am.

Category: Lacto, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Mexican, Southwestern, Non-veg

First Review by BrianGoddard

Amazing, I eat here too much. - Edit

I absolutely love their vegan options, especially the tofu tacos. They make their tofu perfectly crispy, and with a delicious sauce. However, all of their vegan options are amazing, and there are many. You can make a lot of things vegan by replacing cheese with daiya cheese, and sour cream with tofutti sour cream. Sometimes the restaurant can be kind of loud, but it just depends on the night, and if you go earlier in the evening the bar crowd won't be as big yet.

Pros: Delicious, Perfect Tofu, Vegan Sour Cream and Cheese

Cons: Noisy, Crowded, Dark

Surprisingly very vegan friendly and delicious! - Edit

Mad Mex is basically how every restaurant should be in terms of vegetarian and vegan options. They're obviously not a vegetarian or vegan restaurant and most menu items have meat/animal products in them but they clearly took the time to acknowledge that vegetarians and vegans exist and actually put things they can eat on the menu! Basically any item on the menu that you can get with chicken or beef or whatever you can get with tofu instead (I always get the Mad Mex burrito with tofu). They also have certain items with mushrooms substituted for meat (a mushroom quesadilla I believe). But where Mad Mex really surprised me (pleasantly of course) was that they have vegan cheese and vegan sour cream! This is extremely rare for a restaurant that's not specifically for vegans. So not only do I get my burrito with tofu I also get it with cheese (I never really like sour cream even before I was a vegan so I don't get that but I LOVE that they still offer it!).

They also definitely have several other things I'm probably forgetting. A vegetarian (not actually sure if it's vegan I've never asked but it might be ) chickpea chili and more. I ABSOLUTELY recommend this place for vegetarians and vegans. And this is all not to mention they have KILLER margaritas and other drinks. Bottom line is one of my favorite restaurants in my city and I love that I can go there with my meat eating friends and we ALL can get something we really like.

Pros: Lots of vegetarian and vegan options, Great drinks too!, Fun environment

Return to Philadelphia Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mad Mex closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.