Lum-Ka-Naad

Contact 818-886-3028

8910 Reseda Blvd, Northridge, California, USA, 91324

Serves meat, vegan options available. Modernly decorated Thai restaurant featuring dishes from Northern and Central Thailand as well as the familiar Southern style cuisine. Extensive menu includes unique dishes like South sea spice dried curry; tum kanoon made from jackfruit and spices; and tum makua, a well-seasoned eggplant salad. Authentic Thai cuisine is very spicy so be sure to request mild if necessary. Vegan selections are clearly marked, though food is stored and prepared with meat.

Category: Ovo, Thai, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Tobi

Not Veg Friendly - Edit

When I came to this place years ago, the entire feel of it was different. It was quiet and not many people frequented it. They had so many vegan options and the wait staff was extremely knowledgeable about the ingredients and all the vegan substitutions.

A couple years ago I think they got a new management team. It's a completely different restaurant with a different feel.

I continued to go back and order from their menu, asking them to please customize it to make it vegan. I thought they were accommodating, but late last year I asked the waitress for something to be made vegan--something I'd ordered so many times, and from someone from whom I'd ordered regularly over the years. When I ran down the list of things I needed to be removed, she started pointing out certain ingredients that couldn't be removed. Never could be removed. It was a curry and she even told me that no Thai place could serve a vegan version of Thai curry, unless it was specifically a vegan restaurant that made their own. Although I was annoyed, I wanted to find something to eat. But we went through the menu together and the options available to me were incredibly limited, more so than anybody, including this same woman, had allowed me to believe over the past couple years.

I've always specified what I can and can't eat. They've always played accommodating. But apparently they never actually were. They were just smiling and nodding and then making the food exactly as they would for a non vegan.

Do not eat here. I feel like it shouldn't even be on this website.

Cons: Not Vegan, Not Vegetarian

Great Ambiance - Edit

I absolutely love the ambiance and overall feeling of this restaurant. It is warm and a great place to take a date. They have a ton of vegan options that are clearly marked and a knowledgeable staff in regards to the various vegan options. The food is a bargain for the quality, and my only complaint would be the food tends to be a little to greasy for my taste. I personally know the owner though business and must say he is a very nice man who takes pride in being active in the community as well as running his successful business.

Pros: Ambiance, Value, Service

Cons: food is a little bit greasy

Lum Ka Naad Review - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow, and here's my Lum-Ka-Naad review.

Came here for lunch. The place was quite busy at lunchtime. It seems that many people come here for their bargain lunch specials (around $7). It's modernly decorated with an open kitchen enclosed by glass. The smell of cooking is strong.

My food tasted okay, flavorful and salty as is to be expected of Thai food. I had a stir fry with Thai basil, moderate spicy level.

But I probably won't come back on my own, because it's mostly a meat restaurant. While the menu denotes which dishes can be made veg/vegan with a "V" and there are many of them, it's still a meat based restaurant, and the kitchen prepares all the meat stuff together with veg orders.

For vegetarians and vegans who like Thai food, I would recommend going to one of the many pure veg Thai restaurants throughout greater LA. In the San Fernando Valley there's Vegan World (very good), Vegan Plate, Vegan Factory, and Vegan Express. Just look 'em up on Happycow.

Pros: flavorful

Cons: meaty smell inside, same prep & storage as meat

FAN-FREAKIN- TASTIC - Edit

Lum-Ka-Naad is a quaint little thai restaurant with great service, food, and ambiance. It is always very special when my husband and I are able to find a place with great food and prices that has options for us as well as our meat eating friends and family. We have dined there atleast a dozen times since finding it on Happy Cow and we have never been disappointed.

Pros: Great Food, Great Service, Good Prices

Return to Northridge Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lum-Ka-Naad closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1061 times since Aug 2007.