Lucky Creation Vegetarian

Contact 415-989-0818

854 Washington St (at Stockton St, in Chinatown), San Francisco, California, USA, 94108

Vegetarian Chinese restaurant. Menu is all vegan and features a range of simple, very inexpensive Cantonese-style Chinese dishes. From the street, look for restaurant sign in green letters. Tiny, basic space. Has a glass case displaying some faux meats, steamed buns, and Chinese pastry cakes for takeaway. Open Mon-Tue 11:00am-9:30pm, Thu-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm. Closed Wed.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Take-out

First Review by juliotnunes

Delicious! - Edit

Had some great food here in this small restaurant. The lemon chicken was very flavourful and the tofu in the clay pot was delicious. Most dishes around $8-10. recommended.

Pros: Old style reataurant, Lots of choice, Delicious food

Speechless - Edit

Totally mixed feelings about this place, not what I expected. While service was decent, kind people, loved the family vibe- I must admit I was slightly disgusted by the situation of the location/place. This only allows a low rating of 2 but I would maybe be bold enough to say 1 star at best. We ordered three things, again while decent I would highly discourage going here on a date or even taking a friend. Additionally the bathrooms were way too close to the kitchen and food preparation.

Pros: vegan, overall friendly

Cons: lack of cleanliness , bad vibes

Authentic, humble vegan Chineese food - Edit

Lucky creation is the heart of Chinatown S.F.. The portions are big, the prices are reasonable but it is not upscale. It is authentic Chinese food and it is without pretension. There are few tables, and so often you will share a large table with others and meet some nice people. Frequently Buddhist monastics sit there and chat with the locals. It is busy, small, crowded and alive with the pulse of Vegan Chinatown. The soups are not as good as some of the main courses. It is so fun to have a place in Chinatown to eat because it is a great place to play tourist. Try tea at a tea bar after eating.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday August 19, 2014

Updated from previous review on Tuesday August 19, 2014

Updated from previous review on 2014-08-20

Pros: Taste of food, Price, Location

Cons: Small, Busy, Crowded

Great Starters... Everything Else Pretty Bland - Edit

We came here based on seeing the relatively high rating, but hadn't read a lot of reviews (otherwise we probably would have skipped it). We got spring rolls and dumplings, which we both thought were some of the best we'd ever had. However, our actual meals were both very bland -- I got sautéed bean paste with mushrooms, and he got mushrooms with tofu. Both had extremely bland sauces. Also, you do walk through the kitchen to get to the bathrooms, both of which somehow smell like cat litter. Definitely not the cleanest place, which I'd forgive if the meal had been spectacular. But alas... not this time. Definitely surprised a how highly rated this place is.

Pros: Spring Rolls, Dumplings

Cons: Tasteless entrees, Definitely not clean

Best Cantonese cuisine in the US! - Edit

I lived in Hong Kong a few years ago and this place reminds be of the awesome vegan food I would get there! In South Asia restaurants like this are set up to serve several dishes meant to be ordered for several people. Getting one thing on the menu may be anticlimactic. Ask your server to suggest something on the menu if you are ordering just one thing.

Bland and Boring - Edit

I didn't like anything we ordered. The sauces were tasteless and were a gelatinous constancy. The teapot had lots of crusties around the rim.

Looking around the room, other people's food looked better than ours. I should have asked to try theirs. Ha

over priced and tasteless - Edit

On a visit to Chinatown I was hoping to achieve a more sincere experience than Loving Hut, but I found Lucky Creation to be completely underwhelming. The menu isn't very variable and I found the price to be high for what was offered. My spring rolls were incredibly greasy and devoid of flavor and my entree was essentially just watery veggies.
I would definitely not recommend this place to anyone for any reason other than the minimal mock-meat selection (and I've had better mock-meat elsewhere as well). CASH ONLY.

Pros: none

Cons: overpriced, greasy (not in a good way), cash only

basic & cheap - Edit

I liked this place because I prefer a vegetarian/vegan restaurant over a "normal" one and hoping that they have veg dishes on the menu and truly know what vegan implies. This place appeared to be one of the few in china town which is vegan, which is good because I didn't want to walk 10 blocks for food.

The food was served fast, questionably possibly too fast for it to be freshly made. Taste was OK, but rather bland and not much use of spices (I however found this to be the case in most of my american food experiences).

Service was basic but friendly.

Pros: cheap, one of the few vegan places in the area, Large portions

Cons: tast is bland, Not sure how fresh the food was

Warning to Vegans & Vegetarians - Edit

Straight to the point- as we were eating a delivery man came in with boxes of chicken bouillon and brought them in. It doesn't necessarily mean they use it for the restaurant but its very suspicious.
Onto the rest- the place is seriously dirty. The bathroom is in the kitchen and the kitchen was extremely filthy.
The food wasn't great or disgusting, just average unhealthy Chinese food. I read some of the other reviews regarding money/check discrepancies and we experienced the same thing. First of all, they didn't bring us three items, two sparking waters and brown rice. They also gave me white rice when I ordered brown. But when we got the check they charged us for everything. When my partner stated that we didn't get the water and brown rice, she fought him over it. The bill was at least 5 dollars still more than what it was supposed to be but he just paid it and we left.
I would not eat here again, personally, but if you are in a bind and need some vegan food, fast (with the understanding they aren't putting chicken bouillon in the food) go for it.

Cons: dirty place, chicken bouillon , incorrect check total

Felt like an authentic Chinatown experience - Edit

I've been to many Chinatown areas in big cities (NYC, London etc) and China itself and this restaurant felt authentic, so it was nice to find a vegan restaurant among the many eating establishments available.

Found the staff to be friendly and the service was quick

Food
Starters
Spring rolls (3 large) and Potstickers (6) both nice

Main dishes
STUFF EGG PLANT, BELL PEPPER, BEAN CAKE - stuffed with a weird substance a bit like mashed potato which I didn't really like. Very oily but not unpleasant taste

DEEP FRIED CRISPY TARO ROLLS & BEAN CURD - basically deep fried very light pastry and deep fried balls with the same weird "mashed potato" stuffing

MEATLESS CHICKEN With curry sauce - the best of the main dishes, tasty curry sauce. The tofu texture was actually like fish. Nice broccoli

Whole meal was just over $30 so good value but I wouldn't rush back

Pros: inexpensive, quick service, seemed to be cooked to order

Cons: bit rough & ready premises

hole in the wall, cheap but unimpressive - Edit

Just off the main drag of Chinatown (which in general isn't a nice place for people who don't like seeing dead animals), Lucky Creation is definitely a hole-in-the-wall. When we arrived an employee reading a newspaper was shooed away from a table in Chinese so we could sit. They close at 9 or 9:30 depending on the day, and they did seem to allow anyone who arrived by then to sit, although they might have rushed their ordering a bit. The ambiance is definitely authentic; the restaurant is not clean, quiet or fancy at all, but nothing suggested a concerning lack of hygiene in regards to the food. It is cash only, with dishes in the range $5-10.

Like another reviewer, I unfortunately saw kitchen employees sit down to their own dinner at a table in the restaurant which was definitely not vegan. I am left to assume it was cooked on shared utensils from their kitchen at the end of the day. Unlike other reviewers, I had no other problems with the staff or service.

What was disappointing was the food. The fried taro "fish" that I saw recommended was so sticky (think a plate of taro mashed-potato style) and bland. The potstickers were super oily and again, bland. Chow fun had the nicest texture of the 3 dishes we tried but again, flavorless. The tea was actually my favorite part of the meal. Nothing was bad, it just wasn't good either. Perhaps I didn't order well.

Do come here:
People with fond memories of Asia
Veg*ns on tight budgets wanting to try something different

Don't come here:
Showing out-of-town veg*ns around SF
Don't like "empty calories"
Worried about cleanliness/professionalism

Pros: cheap, vegan

Cons: cheap

Absolutely Disgusting - Edit

THE WORST DINING EXPERIENCE OF MY LIFE. I am shocked at the positive reviews for this place. Not only was the food slimy, cold, gelatinous and sour-smelling, the servers were rude, 3 different women asking us if we were ready to order within the first two minutes we sat down, and scowling when we said, "not yet, sorry"... My friend puked on the sidewalk as soon as we walked out the door.

Cons: dirty, disgusting food, rude servers, sickening

Really 100% vegan..? - Edit

I went to Lucky Creation last Thursday, just before 9 pm (closing time). The staff was nice enough to still let us, and pretty much closed as soon as we set at the table. The food was basic, but very ok and affordable. I have been to Lucky Creation a few years ago, and came back as I liked the authentic chinese atmosphere (apart from the fact that the food is vegan), and the simple yet tasty dishes. This time, however, I am not so sure I will return.
Once they had served our food (we had simple spring rolls, and fried rice with veggies), the staff sat together at the round table in the restaurant for their own dinner. And much to our shock and dismay, they had meat, a large bowl of cooked chicken and fish. Now I am not squeamish about going to omnivore places as long as they can accomodate a vegan, but if I go to a restaurant which is vegan and even has the word 'vegetarian' in its name, then I expect the kitchen to be meat-free. I would also expect the staff to not devour on meat dishes in the middle of a vegan restaurant.
This left a bitter aftertaste even though it obviously has no impact on their menue and food quality.

Pros: Inexpensive

Cons: Toilets in kitchen need serious cleaning

Return to San Francisco Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lucky Creation Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.