Loving Hut

• Vegan
Contact 020-72818989

669 Holloway Rd, North London, England, N195SE

Formerly Peking Palace and in 2011 became an official branch of Loving Hut, an international chain of vegan food restaurants opened by followers of Supreme Master Ching Hai, an advocate for veg living. Serving food, coffee, non-alcoholic beverages, and more. Each location is individual family owned. Prices are inexpensive to moderate.

Category: Vegan, Chinese, Western, Juice bar, Delivery, Take-out

First Review by Nickysr

Sizzle sizzle - Edit

Always awesome food at Loving Huts (if you like fake meats like I do). I had a sizzling fish dish which is quite entertaining when it arrives! And hey, not often that you get vegan fish that's actually good! Someone recommended the chocolate cake so I had that, and woah! that was the most generous portion of cake I've ever seen! Good stuff

Mind Blowing - Edit

Was absolutely blown away at how much like meat all the faux meats were, in both taste and texture!
Overall it was fantastic! :) And so inexpensive!!

Pros: Tasty, Value for money, Friendly Staff

Amazing - Edit

First time trying this place. Absolutely amazing. Had the spring roll and vegan duck to start. And then vegan beef and black bean for mains. Finished with vegan chocolate cake with ice cream. All AMAZING.

Terrible - Edit

Second time we've visited this restaurant and first time it wasn't that great but the novelty of being entirely vegan and being able to get Peking duck made us go back again. Second time was worse. It was all just gloopy and flavourless. We ordered a Sichuan dish because they are famously spicy. This was was probably the blandest of them all. Staff are well meaning but a bit useless and the lady in charge is useless and quite rude. Better Chinese food can be had at a non-vegan Chinese restaurants.

Pros: vegan

Cons: not good food!

delicious! - Edit

Love love love this food - for a vegan it's amazing. Prawn crackers, stir fries, 'egg' fried rice and duck pancakes. Their seitan meat is delicious, as is their fish and chip meal. The desserts and drinks are also worth a try. Personal favourites include the duck pancakes, sesame toast and crispy chilli beef.

Only criticisms would be the slightly off-hand service and occasional strange videos - my first time there they showed abattoir footage, the second time was an oddly narrated footage of ducks, then of people walking their dog, then of monks praying. It's kinda funny actually

Pros: delicious food, close to transport links

Cons: closed on Mondays, service could be friendlier, bit pricey if like me you order too much all the t

Lovely - Edit

First off you walk in and it looks like every other nice, clean, Chinese restaurant! Except everything is vegan!
We went for set menu B and the food was so good! I'm not a great fan of imitation meat but this was very good!
Try the 'duck' pancakes!
Definitely worth the 50 minute journey from Brockley!

Pros: great service and staff

Delicious - Edit

By far my favourite buffet in London. Great selection of fried vegetables, rice dishes, tofu and curries. Always eat way too much but great quality and value. Am keen to try the evening menu. Highly recommend.

Pros: Cheap, Delicious, Quality

I'm Loving Loving Hut! - Edit

Can't really go wrong here. I love the sizzling dishes & the garlic spring onion dishes...and just about everything on the menu!!! Service is always friendly, and I've never been able to fault the food!

Still the best place for fake meat in London! - Edit

Lovin Hut took over Peking Place and we feared it would go downhill. Peking Place was always super clean and kind of "posh". They used to have huge selection of fake meat's including fish dishes that made some of us feel sick because they were so real!!
Lovin Hut installed one of their TV screens which constantly shows their tacky spiritual nonsense and supreme lady leader thankfully with the volume nice and low. The menu has reduced in size but the range still includes the wonderful set meal options and the exciting sizzling dishes that arrive at ones table threatening to scorch you just for looking too close! I think the duck is the best if only because it is one of the only dishes that we were told does not contain sugar! My last visit was initiated by my companion wanting to return to that "amazing" restaurant he had visited once before twelve years ago, he was satisfied and happy once again. It's not the cheapest option for fake meat dishes but if you want such food done to its best this is the place to go in London.

Pros: Great food, Ample portions (except for the rice), Friendly staff

Cons: Not cheap, Too much sugar.

tasty food - Edit

I enjoy the food here. I especially like the sizzling ginger and spring onion tofu and the 'egg' fried rice. The vanilla or chocolate smoothies are very nice too. I don't eat seitan but i've brought a couple of meat eaters here who have enjoyed the seitan based dishes and one who did not. The portions are a good size and it isn't expensive.

Pros: good portion size, tasty food, not expensive

Cons: the satay sauce here isn't good

Nice place - Edit

Went here for dinner with my mother. Place was empty when we first got there since they'd only just opened, but people began to trickle in after we sat down. Service was a bit slow considering this but I got the impression the waitress had only just started. We had the grilled shiitake mushroom dumplings, mock duck pancakes, skewered vegetables in satay sauce, lemon mock chicken and fried rice, with mango delight smoothie and apple lemonade to drink. All was lovely and completely satisfied my Chinese food cravings, though the satay sauce was weird (tasted more like yellow curry) and the dumpling sauce was unexpected (I was imagining vinegar/soya sauce mix, but it was citrusy and a bit strange.) I particularly enjoyed the duck pancakes and smoothie. Would definitely go again.

Pros: Great range, All vegan

Cons: Peanut satay was weird

Solid loving hut but... - Edit

I've lived near this place for years now and have only been twice. Why? The answers simple, edgware. I first visited this place with high expectations (after first visiting the edgware and the now defunct camden branch). Both times I have gone in the evening and had a set menu. Whilst the food has always been very tasty I have encountered a few problems. First the portions are quite small I know I shouldn't grumble it's a fully vegan restaurant however it's not all that cheap ether. The second problem I've encountered is the staff have always been not rude but abrupt and a bit cold. Finally the restaurant is nice but little things such as wobbly tables take away from the experience, especially if your trying to enjoy a romantic dinner. If it were anywhere else I'd recommend it however a few stops down the northern line is the edgware branch which offers very similar food and is superior in every way. Large portions, friendly, warm and welcoming staff and 2 all you can eat buffets starting from £7.90.

Seriously try edgware and compare for yourself.

Pros: Delicious vegan food, Good set menus

Cons: Small portions, Expensive (compared to edgware)

One of the best smoothies I ever had! - Edit

I tried a Green Queen smoothie and it was absolutely stunning. The food was nice, but a little bit rich for me; as I don't like fake/veggie meat. The desserts were very tasty indeed. The staff were lovely and the restaurant had a really chilled out vibe.

Pros: Great smoothies, Lovely staff, Nice atmosphere

One of the best Loving Huts! - Edit

Have been coming to this place for years. Fabulous extensive and very reasonably priced menu (fish and chips are great) - run by really lovely staff.

Highly recommended - getting very busy nowadays so may be worth making a booking.
Updated from previous review on Sunday June 29, 2014

Pros: Great vegan food, Extensive menu, Friendly service

Cons: No alcohol (as with all Loving Huts)

Great lunch place. - Edit

Came here bc I was in the area, there were many delicious things in the buffet and since everything is vegan it was a real treat! I would definitely go back if I was in the area. The service wasn't amazing but I could live with that.

Pros: everything is vegan!

Cons: service wasn't amazing

hmmm... i want to say only good things, but.... - Edit

I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of loving hut. I've eaten at plenty of their establishments in a number of different countries. I respect what they do and what they stand for. Generally, they are a really good find.
However, i kind of left this one feeling a little disheartened. If there is one thing that really gets my goat, it's tiny portions of food, at large prices, when I'm really hungry. It defeats the object, walking away still hungry. I complained to the staff that the main portion was smaller than what i consider to be a starter. I'm not being greedy, but when I'm hungry, i like to eat a fair sized portion of food.

So, the food was good, it was too small a portion, and over what i like to pay.

Pros: good food, plenty of choice, easy to find

Cons: too expensive, portions way too small for my liking

Huge variety of great vegan food - Edit

I've really enjoyed eating at several Loving Huts and finally got to try the London one this week (their opening hours are a bit sporadic and they're not open during the day on weekends). It was certainly worth the wait. The chicken satay sticks were very tasty as was the braised aubergine and steamed dumplings. I'd been intrigued by the fish and chips for ages which was nice but slightly odd for my tastes. The menu is huge so I'd try other things next time, and there will be a next time. There's great variety for those who prefer mock meats or fresh vegetable dishes. I was too full for dessert this time unfortunately.

Pros: Great food, Variety, Friendly

Cons: Opening times

Huge variety of tasty food! - Edit

We went as a group of 6 people and ordered an enormous amount of food, which arrived really quickly. There was an impressive variety of food available that even kept the meat eaters of our group happy.

We chose a selection of fake meats, tofu and vegetable dishes. Although I wasn't personally a fan of a lot of the fake meat (although the teriyaki beef was pretty tasty!!), it was great to have the option as i've found it's not easily available.

My favourites dishes were the veg and crispy noodles, yellow bean and cashew nut tofu, sizzling tofu in black bean sauce, but everything we tried was good.

The food was served really quickly, although I wouldn't say the service was the best ever-we had trouble ordering more drinks and getting a top up on water, despite the restaurant not being that busy.

There was a lot more on the menu that sounded great but we were just too full to try-I will definitely be going back! I would also recommend to others, particularly vegetarians and vegans, but I also think meat eaters will be surprised by the variety and quality of food.

Pros: Great selection, Good value, Really tasty food!

Cons: Not the best service, Small restaurant

LOL - Edit

I'm sorry but these lot have the tastiest vegan burgers around, and I've been to Mildreds. So simple, it tastes the realest with out being "over meaty" in flavour. The staff are the most enthusiastic as well, this must be because they do it out of pure compassion and not for money.

I've eaten here as a meat eater, a vegetarian, and as a vegan. I do have one problem with this place, and that is it looks horrible inside like a tiled kitchen. This was quite a while ago maybe they changed it, this is my only niggle which I wish they sort out if they have not done so already.

Pros: Quick and cheap meals , Happy staff , Best vegan burgers in town

Cons: Interior decor needed

Loving Hut - Edit

Delish Heavenly Food of Loving Hut, vegan restos, everywhere in the world!!!Also here!
Did you know there's a Loving Hut Pension in Austria?

Great stuff! - Edit

We're addicted to this place, though we're trying to restrict our visits to one per week or less, it's difficult!

What's not to like? Friendly staff, extensive all-vegan menu, tasty food, large portions...

We're slowly working our way through everything on the menu (although the drink choice stuck at the roasted coconut juice - it's delicious!)

Lots of Chinese restaurant favourites, but all vegan. Take carnivore friends here, they won't be disappointed.

Pros: extensive menu, tasty food, friendly staff

Feel at home there. - Edit

Everything there is nice. food, delicious. staff, soooo kind and friendly. I love them. The place is quiet, beatifully decorated. The price is fair. all you can eat buffet for non-expensive price.

Pros: delicious, generous food, kind, friendly staff, near tube station

Cons: nothing, none, no cons

Amazing value buffet - Edit

I can't speak for others in the chain, but this is a real hidden gem. As well as a lunch menu, there is an all-you-can-eat buffet with several high-quality vegan options (including vegan "prawn" toast, chilli, samosas, potato-cakes - something for most tastes), and you can buy burgers etc to take home and freeze or order large cakes for parties. The staff are friendly, knowledgeable about veganism, and offer loyalty cards. Animal rights videos are often played quietly, which are interesting but do not distract from conversation.

Pros: choice, price, location

Variable vegan chinese. - Edit

Good to be able to eat from a whole chinese menu without fear. I am a sucker for the crispy 'chicken' balls. There is a very extensive menu with substitute meats that will be familiar to Loving Hut franchise patrons. Some of the dishes are pretty average, and it is not especially cheap. They were vague about gluten free options, but did try hard to accomodate.

Pros: Extensive menu., Helpful staff.

Cons: Variable quality.

GORGEOUS! And I used to eat there every week ... - Edit

Lovely staff. Great food. Pure joy that I lived around the corner (back when it was called Peking Palace). Not one bad thing to say ... (-:

Pros: Tasty food, Charming staff, Convenient location

Cons: NONE!

fantastic treat - Edit

visited here with 4 non veggies we all enjoyed it amazing choice it took forever for us to decide and it was amazing as a vegan to be able to try evryone elses food. The crispy shredded chicken started was by fat the best. The mock prawns were a bit tatseless but good to try the fish steak was quite an overpowering fish taste which I wasn't keen on the mock duck was also a biut slimy for me but the sizzling hot sauces were soo good my kung po was too sweet for me but thats personal taste. The choice is amazig all my non veggie lot loved it. Only downfall really was no alcohol and you can't take your own. Felt a little greasy afterwards but I fi9nd that pretty common in Chineese food. Will def visit again

Pros: vast choice, delicious mock meats, good price

Cons: no alcohol

Spoilt for choice OR reason to visit again - Edit

Peking Palace offers one of the widest ranges of mock meats and mock fish I've seen in London - but also good selection of vegetable and tofu dishes which is great for those of us who don't necessarily want to or are comfortable with mock meat/fish.
As other reviewers have mentioned, they offer a free delivery service to local address (takes approx 30-45 min from placing order) or you can ring in your order and pick up or eat in.
Archway is the closest station. Alternatively, you can take the overland to Upper Holloway or Piccadilly Line to Holloway Road and then take the number 43 or 271 bus towards Archway.
Our favourites include: Vegetable or Tofu Satay (starter), Sesame Veggie Chicken, Ma Po Tofu, Lo Hon Vegetables, Crispy Noodles with Tofu in Black Bean Sauce(mains.
Unfortunately, the desserts are mainly vegetarian, not vegan and not made by the restaurant.
Then again, I hardly ever have room as the portion sizes are good which makes this place very good value for money.

Pros: Wide range of dishes, Good value for money, Offers eat in / take-away /free delivery

Cons: Hardly any vegan dessert choices

2 Responses

A great place for a quiet chat and delicious food. - Edit

Excellent food for one thing, but also a very nice setting to complement the tasty food served - the softly furnished restaurant in no way resembles the rubbish around nearby Junction Road nor the equally appalling mess lower down Holloway Road. I went with a relative and she commented how exquisite the food was, adding how difficult it was to find a quality vegetarian restaurant. Apparently they also do a take out service and the crowd on the Sunday we went including a middle-aged female pair, a group of possibly east Africans celebrating a kid's birthday, and an Afro-Caribbean bloke waiting for a take out order.
The vegetables were nicely done, with me ordering a mock duck dish. The latter was truly exceptional; light in colour plus tender in texture, it was quite unlike my usual experience of "mock duck" in a steel can from London's Chinatown which I've found - although palatable - to be a tad overprocessed. The music - maybe Vietnamese - added to the chilled ambience.

Pros: Delicious food., Great service., Fantastic ambience.

Cons: Located in a chicken area., A church nearby., On a sometimes busy main road.

Best crispy noodles in London! - Edit

From Archway tube station cross the road at the lights and head down Holloway Rd. It is about a minute or two away on the right.
It is a small restaurant with pleasant yellow lighting. There is a big flat screen television on the rear wall. Not sure if they always broadcast vegetarian propaganda or if it is just that swine flue was breaking out at this time that it was on.
There is definitely something in this restaurant that made me sneeze. It was the same experience I have when I get hay fever and at first I thought it might be from the flowers around the room. It turned out they were all fake but they may have held dust which caused me to sneeze anyway.
Nevertheless this is the first Chinese place in London I've been in that had the cat with the raised right hand as well as the one with the raised left hand so I'm sure they are trying to make healthy food as well as make money!

They serve prawn crackers to start. Everything they serve comes on stands with candles inside them to keep food warm. Also they put fake flowers on some dishes, like a garnish which I wish they would omit as it can spread germs.
I ordered chicken and sweet corn soup to start. It was a bit on the gluggy side but the taste was perfect. For main I had crispy noodles with vegetables. The noodles were just right and the sauce was also perfect with lots of fresh, varied vegetables. I sort of wished the serving was bigger because it was so yummy! The main on its own is about the size of a light meal.
I had Pu'er tea.

At the end they give you a moist napkin which is the first time in ages I have got one at a Chinese restaurant. I thought nowhere did that anymore!
Service was pleasant and we were given vegetarian magazines on leaving.

At about ₤10 for two delicious courses, beverage and service it was great value.

I have been searching for good crispy noodles for ages and now I won't have to get so so ones at Hing Loong or Phoenix Palace. It will be difficult to pass through Archway without stopping here.. It's got to be more than a four for me.

Pros: Great crispy noodles, great menu, cheap

Cons: Made me sneeze, fake flowers!!!

Great mock-meat dishes - Edit

This is our favourite mock-meat place in London, one of the best things about it being that it does free deliveries, whereas very few other veggie places deliver. When in London we eat here once a week. Some of the best dishes include the Chicken drumsticks, Chicken balls, Mongolian lamb pancakes, Chicken & Asparagus, Beef in black pepper sauce and Chicken with crispy noodles. The chilli sauce and chilli oil are fantastic and not too sweet. Peking Palace also offers very good value for money.

Pros: Great mock-meat dishes, Reasonably priced, Free delivery

Vegan Oasis in Holloway Road! - Edit

Great selection of mock meats in this Chinese style restaurant. The chicken drumsticks are amazing and the array of dishes is huge. The dessert menu is pretty much all dairy which is a shame for us vegans.

Pros: mock meats, vegan, friendly

Return to North London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Loving Hut closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 8998 times since Aug 2007.