Delivery
Take-out
Fusion
African

Restaurant and dive bar that switched to a fully vegan menu in 2020. Serves African-inspired vegan dishes like maffé, yassa, and bahji as well as yam fries, seitan hot dogs, and bowls. Open Tue-Sat 19:00-02:00.

Venue map for L'Embuscade
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by EricMogwai

Lucasg

Points +643

30 Jan 2024

Vraiment délicieux

Une découverte riche en saveurs et en diversité, offrant une expérience mémorable à chaque bouchée. Une adresse à ne pas manquer.

veganeira

Points +57

16 Jan 2024

Excellent Food, Cantankerous Owner

The food was fabulous. Sadly, the [censored] attitude left so much to be desired. It was ZERO degrees Centigrade outside today, and they wouldn’t let us in 5 minutes before it opened (we had a reservation). They even said we were “wasting their time”.

Updated from previous review on 2023-09-10

TheActualPurpleCow

Points +99

15 Dec 2023

Very welcoming people, good music and UNESCO-approved food

I really liked the atmosphere and most of all, the people who worked there. If I would live in Paris, I would go there every day. The food was amazing and I liked the fancy drinks. My fav was the bhajis...sooo yummy

Pros: Very welcoming people and atmosphere, The super tasty food and drinks, The music

JessicaMoreau

Points +40

02 Dec 2023

Super adresse

Ambiance festive, personnel sympa et surtout la nourriture est délicieuse et originale.
Je reviendrai.

🌱Clara

Points +326

01 Nov 2023

Good experience after all

I went there 2 years ago and was disappointed because the food was bland and not spicy at all.
I wanted to give it another try so I went last week and I’m glad I did. The starter was good and full of flavours. The main dish was good but did not taste like African food (as for me, it tasted like a French dish cooked with red wine). The dessert was delicious.

Updated from previous review on 2023-11-01

James(MisterVélo12)

Points +81

13 Oct 2023

Feels like a celebration of life

Good food, marvelous cocktails and a welcome & atmosphere that made the experience feel like a celebration of life.

rumbadebarcelona

Points +439

07 Oct 2023

good experience

Very interesting African dishes I haven’t tried before, all tasty, great atmosphere of the place and very nice staff. Totally recommended.

avknotts

Points +254

04 Jul 2023

L’Embuscade

First time trying African food and I loved it. So many great flavors and fun cocktails.

Joana

Points +33

05 Jun 2023

Original afro-twisted vegan

Oh yes, this was a unique experience... and I've tried many vegan restaurants! Tasty (though slightly heavy), from starters to deserts, very welcoming staff. The home-made ginger juice was a real kick!

maary2213

Points +172

25 May 2023

Very good place !

Amazing restaurant! The dishes are all very tasty and of high quality.
The team is very friendly and welcoming, you feel good there !
The perfect place to relax and discover traditional cuisine. I recommend !

Pros: 100% Vegan , Tasty dishes, Friendly staff

IlariaPastrolin

Points +168

07 May 2023

Toujours un plaisir !

Les plats, les cocktails, l'accueil, la musique (en salle tout comme dans la partie au sous-sol, qui héberge des fabuleuses soirées dansantes), tout est jouissif.

SimonvandeKimmenad

Points +16

12 Apr 2023

I love this place

Such a cozy little restaurant with amazing atmosphere and friendly staff.

Pros: There's a super cute dog 🐶, Friendly staff, Amazing food and big portions

KylieDolan

Points +20

15 Mar 2023

Staff was so friendly!! Everyone accommated our poor French and spoke English.

Stopped in for late night drink and bite

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Friendly staff, Open late

Cons: None!

LoraLondon

Points +187

13 Mar 2023

Fab food & great atmosphere

Loved this place! The vibe is great with lovely decor and music. The cocktail menu is awesome and the food was delicious. I have to recommend the mango cake which is served warm with whipped cream and is absolutely heavenly! The staff were lovely too. Definitely recommend!

Pros: Gorgeous food, Great cocktails, Brilliant vibe

majalukovic

Points +54

15 Feb 2023

Delicious food and cocktails

The food was amazing, unique flavors, and the cocktails are great too. Nice staff and atmosphere.

mrslittlewood

Points +85

29 Jan 2023

Relaxed vibe and excellent food

Found this when in Montmarte and was lucky enough to get a table. If got very busy within half hr of us arriving! Staff were so friendly (English waitress was lovely and gave my husband birthday shots!) and the food was amazing. I only wish I could have eaten more of it. Highly recommend the platter to share but my advice would be not to share!

Pros: Nice vibe , Excellent food , Entirely vegan

Cons: Need to book

marmotteuh

Points +269

26 Jan 2023

Lieu cosy et chaleureux

Restaurant super confy et agréable.
Personnel super gentil.
Testé le mafé de légumes et les frites de patates douces, c'était délicieux.
Super cocktail à base rhum (l'embuscade et le traquenard).

liviux

Points +113

21 Jan 2023

Tasty and well presented

Very good food, well presented, tasty and healthy!

The staff is friendly and although I did booked a table they found me a small place where to enjoy the dinner.

I was very happy to found some traditional african dishes in vegan version :)

Hyla

Points +18

23 Dec 2022

Delicious Dishes and Great Vibes

The best (vegan) restaurant I ate at in Paris! The portions and tastes are worth the costs and the staff were very friendly. We ordered the plantain chips and black bean hummus, mafé, and okra stew. All delicious! Will definitely return on my next visit to Paris🌟

Pros: Flavorful dishes, Chill/comfortable atmosphere , Food reminding me of home

WDrt

Points +13

17 Dec 2022

Amazing food and service

Well recommended for the food, the atmosphere and the service. Had a great time yesterday. The corn of the cob with coconut is a must try as it had amazing flavors.

vegan_valentin

Points +28

11 Dec 2022

Delicious food and good atmosphere

The Doudou Jack Burger was incredible

Updated from previous review on 2022-12-11

Gregacwrw

Points +259

23 Oct 2022

Nice restaurant to discover new flavours

The food is great, flavorful and the staff is really nice

Pros: Great food, Nice staff

Cons: Not a lot of seats

RuthAndrade

Points +70

01 Oct 2022

Tasty flavour of Africa in Paris

I had a very nice surprise with L'Embuscade. You step into another culture, which is a welcome break after a few days, and delighted with different flavours. I loved the sweet corn with coconut and the akara, my mum and sister-in-law, both non vegan, loved the burgers and my dish was pretty tasty too. Ask for some salt and hot sauce.
Indeed a little pricey, but it's going to support a vegan black-owned business in Paris.

Pros: Great food, Super friendly , Good vibes

Cons: Small menu, a little on the pricey side

sws

Points +64

18 Sep 2022

Nicest food I've ever had out.

This African themed restaurant is great. The food was really tasty. It made a pleasant change to try something new and exciting.
Book a table if you can, it was busy. Highly recommend the platter as a sharing starter.

Updated from previous review on 2022-09-18

Pros: A nice mix of food from different countries., Friendly service

ElizabethT13

Points +42

15 Sep 2022

Favourite vegan establishment

This was by far my best vegan dining experience during my trip to France. Slightly expensive (as expected for Paris) but the atmosphere and service was amazing! Unique decor, which felt very cosy but some may find the seating cramped/uncomfortable, for example those with disabilities. Waiter was very attentive and catered to allergies well, and was happy to speak English when our French was not good enough :)

Pros: Unique vegan menu, Friendly service

MarisaTri

Points +26

15 Sep 2022

Amazing

Amazing taste, super nice atmosphere and a very friendly stuff. The food is not only fully vegan, also extremely delicious and very filling. 100% recommended!

Pros: Alles vegan, Sehr lecker , Besonders

BlankSpace

Points +912

14 Jul 2022

Come for the experience

This place is a welcome change of scenery for vegan restaurants (no lunchtime poke-salad bar).
Afro-vegan is a new concept to me and I'm glad we found it!

The atmosphere is fun and lively, African and welcoming, with super friendly staff. A bit noisy for my taste but we had a very good experience.

We found the starters and deserts delicious (diabolitos were incredible) but were less impressed with the mains, which were a bit plain-tasting.

Overall a very good experience, well worth visiting in a lively neighborhood.

We spent just under 30 euros per person for starter, main, dessert and drink. Seems pretty reasonable for dinner in Paris.