Le Grenier de Notre Dame - Temporarily Closed

Contact 0143299829

18 Rue de la Bucherie, Paris, France, 75005

Serving vegetarian versions of French peasant food. Has vegetarian paella. Nice atmosphere, English spoken. Prices moderate to expensive. Not handicap accessible. Located in the 5ème arrondissement near metro: Saint Michel. NOTE: Closed for renovations, expected reopening mid February 2017. Please let Happy Cow know when back in business. Open Mon-Fri 12:00pm-2:30pm, Mon-Fri 6:30pm-11:00pm, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Macrobiotic, Organic, Beer/Wine, French

First Review by Poundie

Disappointing - Edit

I've been lucky enough to eat at some fantastic veggie and vegan restaurants and this isn't one for my list I'm afraid. I found it quite bland and the atmosphere was pretty dull. The staff were courteous and attentive but we didn't see a smile at any point. I had a plate that mostly consisted of tofu in a variety of forms (smoked, fried, burger) and a mismatch of salad and cooked vegetables with a small bowl of raw cabbage in the middle topped with a minuscule amount of fig. There was also a small lump of brown rice and it just didn't gel together at all, it all tasted fresh but it was crying out for some seasoning and fresh herbs. We had 2 mains and a half carafe of house wine for 50 euros and were done and dusted in 40 minutes. Simply not the place to go if you want an atmospheric meal with outstanding veggie food and flavours.

A disappointing establishment... - Edit

I first went to the Grenier de Notre Dame back in 2004, and went numerous of times, every year. But lately, the place lost its charm, the food became a sad experience, and the service got ... bad.
I used to like their happiness and enthusiasm, which clearly vanished lately, as they take a solid advantage to be the only vegetarian restaurant (with seats) near Notre Dame. Overcrowded, often. But still, a sad, sad time there.
The menu must change, and as for the service, don't expect friendly staff. That's a very negative comment I am writing as for me this is a key ingredient of the food experience. I will come back the day I hear they are fabulous, like they once were. I know they can improve :-)

Pros: Healthy, Location, Options for different diets.

Cons: Boring food., Bored staff., Sad atmosphere.

renovation much needed - Edit

the place is going to be closed soon for renovation. I belueve menu should be reconsidered. many ingredients were not fresh, kitchen tried to hide that woth spices. undersalted - which is crucial for beans. portions were huge - interesting exception.

Pros: nice juice mix

Cons: out of most drinks on the menu, old ingredients, m

L'un des meilleurs resto végétalien - Edit

Le 1er restaurant végétalien que j'ai testé ! Une super adresse à partager sans modération !

L'endroit est atypique, très "green" et old school. Le personnel est attentionné. La carte est, de A à Z, uniquement pour les Végétariens et Végétaliens. Les jus et boissons sont nombreux. Les plats et menus sont copieux et savoureux !

J'ai adoré :)

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-26

Pros: Ambiance, Cuisine (choix+goût), Service

Fuyez !!! Run !!! - Edit

Je suis allée dans ce restaurant il y a quelques mois, toute contente de tester un autre restaurant végétarien sur Paris mais quelle ne fut pas ma déception !
Mon plat, l'assiette spéciale protéines, était insipide (aucun ingrédient ne s'associait à un autre et tout manquait cruellement de saveur) tandis que celui de mon copain l'a rendu malade (son "cassoulet" était d'une acidité)...
De plus l'accueil (à peine bonjour, à peine au revoir) et l'ambiance étaient déplorables (le "patron" parlait extrêmement mal à ses employés).
Il y a beaucoup d'autres restaurant végétariens à Paris, ne perdez pas votre temps avec le grenier de notre dame !

vegetarian delight in the shadow of Notre dame - Edit

Decided to try Le Grenier De Notre Dame as one the few vegetarian restaurants while in Paris. I have 4 more days left and I will be back. We made a reservation for 7 PM and were seated upstairs, which I believe I would have preferred. The menu has many options so it was hard to decide what to have. My partners starter was see lentil soup. It was delicious. My starter was the avocado and mango tartar. Amazing. Smile on our faces. For the main course we both had the vegetarian cassoulet. Filled with white bean, tofu, sextant in a herbed tomato sauce. This dish was good but not spectacular. We had no complaints about it except we felt the dish could have had a stronger flavor for the tomato sauce. For desert, my partner had chocolate mousse and I had apple tart with whipped cream. Both were good. As I mentioned previously, we will return.

Beautiful restaurant, good food - Edit

I like this restaurant. Not the finest vegan food but good enough, and the restaurant is beautiful and the atmosphere very enjoyable, you feel like in a typical and a bit chic parisian restaurant, but not posh. There is also a small but beautiful terrasse. A large variety of assiettes, many are vegan and gluten-free. Many fresh squizzed healthy juices. A bit pricey but it's an expensive and touristic area, so it's a safe choice.

Pros: Nice restaurant, good food, healthy, good portions

Cons: not very creative food

Popular vegetarian place - Edit

This restaurant offers a variety of items, but they end up similar. The components may taste fine, but they aren't put together to make a cohesive whole meal. As a result, the meal is rather uninteresting. The restaurant is popular, reservations are recommended, although we came early and were seated without one.

best in Paris - Edit

This place was such a brilliant first dinner that we returned the following night. The lentil soup is creamy and perfect. The male server downstairs was so friendly and helpful with questions, remembering us from the first night. Definite love for this place - such a hidden gem.

Excellent Vegan Dinner Near the Seine - Edit

This restaurant is a great choice when looking for a vegan or vegetarian meal near Notre Dame, the museums, etc. I had a tagine with cous cous, carrots, potatoes, chick peas, other veggies and a skewer of seitan. It was seasoned nicely and very filling - perfect after a day of walking around the city center. The menu is in French and English and clearly identifies the selections that are vegan.

Tip to find the restaurant: Rue de la Bucherie is a side street that is split in two with a small city square in the middle. On one side of the square you will find Rue de la Bucherie addresses #1 to #16. On the other side, you will find street address #18 (and up) where the restaurant is.

Pros: Tasty, good sized portion, Menu variety

Great food, reasonable prices, close to Notre Dam - Edit

Funky, small café on a side street just around the corner from one of the busiest tourist spots in Paris. They have about 6 tables inside and 4 or 5 outside. If the weather is nice you eat outside. Varied menu and juices. Quite good and reasonable value. Not super cheap, but in that neighbourhood nothing is.

Pros: good food, fast, friendly staff

Good lunch - Edit

Went here for lunch during a stay in Paris. Fairly priced 3 course meal (15,50) . Got two choices per course. Everything (except for 1 desert) on our menu was vegan. The total menu looked good - not extremely impressing, but good decent dishes.
The (vegan) apple pie was delicious!

Pros: Good lunch menu for fair price, Easy to reach

A little overpriced but nice building - Edit

As a vegan I was so pleased to find this beautiful little restaurant. The staff weren't to welcoming to us which caused us some concern. After looking at the vast options on the menu for vegans and ordering, our food came quickly but was bland and a little overpriced.

Pros: Beautiful Building, Vegan/ vegetarian friendly, Close to centre

Cons: indifferent staff, bland food, overpriced

Nice Place! - Edit

Indoor and outdoor seating, very close to Notre Dam, on a quiet little street. I ate here twice, each with a group of people who were carnivores, vegans, and vegetarians -- and each time everyone was happy. I really liked the vegan cassoulet, and also the "le fernier" juice. Very friendly and helpful staff. Decent price.

Pros: Good food, Friendly staff

A perfect day in Paris - Edit

Le Grenier de Notre Dame is absolutely amazing. The service is wonderful, polite, efficient, and welcoming. My mother and I were seated quickly and enjoyed a fresh and delicious vegan meal within our one hour time limit for our group tour. This was the perfect addition to a beautiful day in Paris--especially for a wholefoods vegan who was needing a substantial healthy meal. I highly recommended this restaurant for any vegetarian or vegan traveling to Paris!

Pros: Healthy and delicious vegan options, Friendly service, Beautiful environment

Return to Paris Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Le Grenier de Notre Dame - Temporarily Closed closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.