First Review by Poundie

next level quality - Edit

This is really really good. Some of the best vegan food i have ever had. It is expensive but more than worth it.

This is where I bring meat eaters to impress them - Edit

The food is absoutely delicious, and the drink options go well with the food. One main course is more than enough to fill you up, and you share the courses on the table, putting a little bit of everything in your own rice bowl. Make sure to save some room for the home-made ice cream based on soy, rice or coconut milk.

Alot to choose! I will visit this place again. - Edit

Tiny resturant, but cosy. Book the table in advance! Expensive but it is worth the cost, because of the high quality of the food. Extraordinary ingredients. Soy-meat, tofu, mushrooms in meany variations... and delicious ice cream - based on coconut-, soy- or ricemilk.

Pros: All dishes on the menu is vegan, Vegan starters, main courses and desserts , Delicious food, very high quality

Cons: Very tiny place - noisy, but cosy, Expensive , The drinks may not be vegan. Check with the staff

Extraordinary - Edit

This place has existed for a very long time. When I started coming it was usually half-empty even on weekends. A friend brought me. I still haven't figured out what it is exactly they serve, but it's very special indeed, and tasty, classy and wonderful in every way. Recommended.

Best restaurant in Stockholm - Edit

It's a small place. Make sure you book a table. By phone only.
This is Chinese food at its best. The fact that the food is vegan is just extra delight!
They serve a large variety of tea and also wine and beer.
Maybe a little bit understaffed since sometimes you have to wait to get attention.
If you ask they sometimes have frozen lunch boxes to bring home for a very reasonable prize!

Vegan Chinese restaurant - excellent food - Edit

Lao Wai is nowadays a classic vegan Stockholm restaurant and still keeps the high standard. Minimalistic interior design, and very small space - so make sure to book a table in advance. This is one out of a few Stockholm restaurants that serves Chinese food as I remember the taste from my visits to China. The high-quality food is the basis for my five stars. The service is reasonable but I sometimes feel the waitor is a bit too stressed and one sometimes has to wait a few minutes extra for orders.

Pros: Excellent food

Cons: Often fully booked, Somewhat stressed out waitor

Tiny and authentic - Edit

Vegan chinese with vegan substitutes for shrimp, meat etc. Hard to get a table, fair prices. For lovers of chinese food primarily.

Pros: A classic chinese, vegan style

Cons: Crowded

Book ahead! - Edit

We turned up just before 5:30pm on a Thursday night and we were lucky to get a table (and had to be prepared to be gone before 7pm). We saw several other groups get turned away. So book ahead!

The prices weren't cheap and the serving sizes quite small compared to what we're used to (in Bulgaria) but man, it was good! We had 3 dishes (a starter and 2 mains) and they were all delicious. Before moving to Bulgaria I lived in Asia for a decade (5 of those years in China) and this is the best Asian food I've had in a very long time.

Highly recommend giving this place a try but do make a booking to avoid disappointment.

Pros: delicious food, friendly service , English menu

good but noisy.... - Edit

good food if you love spicy food as I am, but unfortunately it's too small and very noisy :-/

Pros: friendly staff, spyci as hell :-)

Cons: noisy, small place

Decent lunch option - Edit

They do offer a set lunch on weekdays between 11 am. and 2 pm. for 100 kronors. I didn't have to wait for long, the portion was generous and the food was tasty. It's a friendly place and I would go there again. For Swedish condition the price was OK. Food seemed to be quite authentic (Chinese).
They could invest in nicer decoration though.

Finally! - Edit

Cozy little spot in Stockholm, often fullbooked.
The food is supertasty and delicious, a fantastic place to eat expecially if you like spicy food, but even if you do not.
Pretty big portions that are worth the price, the place place to get friends to impress them!

Pros: almost everything is gluten-free

Amazing food! - Edit

One of my absolute favourite restaurants in Sthlm. Everything is supertasty and delicious!

Pros: All gluten free, All vegan, Not too expensive

Cons: Small and not so cosy, Sometimes hard to get a table

Average - Edit

I was looking forward to some Asian food which was began in Stockholm however I was disappointed.
There is just one dish they serve at lunchtime and it was lacking flavor.
For the simplicity of the dish and they fact the kitchen only need to prepare one dish the 100Kr cost I thought was too high.
A nice atmosphere and friendly staff.

Great but expensive - Edit

Admittedly a long time since my last visit, but few things seem to have changed when one walks by. The food is really, really good - but also really, really expensive (not overpriced).

Pros: The food, good lunches

Cons: Expensive, noisy and tiny restaurant, indifferent staff

Nice food and place but expensive! - Edit

This restaurant is relatively small (don't forget to book your table) but offers a good vegan Chinese food, with plenty of tastes. The menu is not huge but every dish looks good! I tried the sliced mushrooms as a starter (exquisite) and the spicy Sichuan tofu dish (that was really spicy!). The portion of the dish is big and you won't be hungry anymore after a three-course-meal. I finish my dinner with a pistachio ice cream, made with their homemade soy milk. It was really so good! They also have a cappuccino very creamy. I would recommend the place for sure, even if I found it highly expensive. There is quality, yes, but nothing that deserves such high prices. Nevertheless, it is a must go for a vegan in Stockholm.

Pros: tasty Chinese food, big portions, 100% vegan, great ice creams, friendly staff

Cons: expensive

Simply delicious and fresh! - Edit

A gem of a restaurant! The food was simply delicious,appetizing, well prepared and seasoned with fresh herbs. Much thought went into making this restaurant an excellent choice for vegan food in Stockholm.

Pros: fresh food, Good selection of foods and dishes , Vegan

Cons: small

Nothing Spectacular - Edit

I had heard about how great the Chinese food at Lao Wei is, so I tried it.

I have eaten Asian food all over the world, and perhaps this is really good food for Stockholm or Sweden, but I didn't find the food at this restaurant to be anything special. The prices were certainly higher than I normally pay for rather ordinary Chinese food.

The food was good, but based on the reviews, I figured the food would be superb. The presentation was typical of just about any Chinese restaurant I have eaten at.

I ordered a monkey mushroom dish and some mixed vegetables. I enjoyed my meal, but wouldn't make a special trip to eat here again. This was the only Asian restaurant I have tried in Sweden, so perhaps this is better than the others.

This restaurant is very crowded and you are lucky if you can get a table quickly like we did.

Great vegan Chinese - Edit

Everything is vegan here, it gets really busy from 6.30pm so book if you're hoping to visit at this time.

Not cheap and a bit off the tourist track but only a 15 minute walk from the palace.

Really tasty authentic Chinese food.

Pros: All vegan menu, English menu available

Cons: Pricey, Location

Return to Stockholm Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lao Wai closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.