Lalibela Ethiopian Restaurant

Contact 773-944-0585

5631 N Ashland Ave, Chicago, Illinois, USA, 60660

Serves meat, vegan options available. Ethiopian restaurant with a large veg section on the menu, around 13-14 itesm. The vegan items are served on separate platters from the meat ones. Open Tue-Fri 4:00pm-10:00pm, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ethiopian, Non-veg

First Review by SynthVegan

Wonderful place for delicious, healthy food! - Edit

I LOVE Lalibala! This restaurant is very supportive of my healthy diet with a great selection of vegetable and lentil entrees, all very flavorful and delicious. The vegetarian entrees are all vegan, cooked with much less oil than most places (like Ethiopian Diamond where you can see the oil separate) and they're not spicy hot. You can also get 100% teff injera (gluten free) here if you call ahead to request it for your meal. The female owner who takes our order is very nice and welcoming, always treating us well. I would give this restaurant 5 cows if I could but this site limits the rating to 4 cows for non-vegetarian restaurants.

Pros: flavorful veggies and lentils, offers 100% teff injera, friendly, good service

Lalibela Ethiopian Restaurant - Edit

We recently dined at Lalibela Ethiopian (LE) and it was a good experience. The decor was definitely interesting at LE, the chairs and tables were made out of a heavy wood...they made me think, Africa (mind you I've never been there). I noticed that there were more than 13 vegetarian/vegan items, and I believe all of those vegetarian items are in fact vegan. I ordered the veggie platter here (as I do at all Ethiopian places) so that I could try many items (you get 4 items). I ordered items 9, 14, 15, and 20; my favorites were certainly 14 (Diblik atkilt) and 15 (Tikil Gomen). The Injera (Ethiopian flat bread) actually tasted much better at LE compared to other Ethiopian places; the bread tends to be very sour at other Ethiopian restaurants, which I find to be slightly off-putting. Another thing to note is that they're strict about separating the vegan food from the meat items; this is a plus in my book, as the last thing I want is to have my veggie items served on the same platter as meat items. Overall this is a good place and I'd certainly return - 3.5 cows.

Return to Chicago Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Lalibela Ethiopian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 855 times since Oct 2011.