Kwangsin Vege Corner Food Court

( 1 review )
n/a

1, Jln Maarof, Bangsar Utama, Dataran Maybank, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, 59000

No eggs 無蛋. They follow the bank hours, so it is closed on weekends and closed in later afternoon and evenings. The place is not obvious to find: there are restaurants inside the Maybank building, but this one (and others) are located in a building behind the bank. Open Mon-Fri 11:30am-2:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Chinese

1 Review

First Review by AndyT

Very nice food, less than nice business ethics :-( - Edit

Let's start with the positive side of my review :-)

1) Kwangsin Vege Food court is not hard to find, once you know where to look. It is in the basement of "Dataran Maybank", the large Building with the big Maybank logo at the crossroads of Jalan Maarof and Jalan Bangsar, coming from Jalan Ara. You have to exit Jalan Maarof to the side lane, then walk down the stairs next to "Gloria Jean Coffee" restaurant.

2) The food at Kwangsin Vege Food corner is really nice. I have been to many "Vegetarian mixed rice" places in Kuala Lumpur, this is definitely one of the better ones, all the foods sampled tasted very nice.

Also, according to them, they are completely vegan and do not use eggs or dairy products in their food.

So why do I only give this wonderful restaurant a 3-star-rating? The answer is simple - service and business ethics.

I can life with the fact that the (friendly) question in English which of their foods are vegan and do not have any eggs or dairy only warrants a derisive snort, shake of the head and return to the kitchen (Might be a language issue).

When my wife asked the same question in Chinese, all she got was a long stare and no answer. Only when she rephrased the question in Chinese to mean "Excuse me, can you confirm that all your food does not have eggs or dairy", she received something like a half-hearted nod and a mono-syllabic answer like "yes". All fine with me, obviously patrons of this restaurants should know everything beforehand and not ask stupid questions.

But when I paid for 2 dishes of mixed rice (see picture) and expected a price of something in the area of 10-13 RM (my wife had about as much on her plate as the lady before here, who paid RM 3,50, my plate had more stuff on it, so I was expecting something like 8 RM), and the lady took my 20-RM-note and made gestures to the effect of "it's ok, move along", I started to get negatively surprised.

My wife then incredulously asked in Chinese how much the food was, and the lady confirmed "It's 20 RM".

This gives the food the dubious distinction of being the most expensive vegetarian mixed rice I have ever eaten in Malaysia.

In 2 years of living in Malaysia, I have eaten at a large number of food court places (most of them not vegetarian), and all of them so far were honest, friendly people and went out of their way to prepare vegan food for me.

So it makes me extra sad that the first time something like that happened is in a vegan restaurant.

Pros: Very nice food, Convenient location, Vegan food (according to them)

Cons: Quite expensive when you are a foreigner, Less than friendly staff, Might be hard to find a car parking

Return to Kuala Lumpur Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Kwangsin Vege Corner Food Court closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.