Koto

04-37184573

59 Van Mieu, Hanoi, Vietnam

Serves meat, vegan options available. Restaurant that trains disadvantaged and homeless Vietnamese youth in hospitality. Two pages of the menu dedicated to vegetarian food, of which many items are vegan and all can be made vegan. Across from the Temple of Literature. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Bakery, Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by VanVeganHanoi

Bland and Expensive - Edit

I don't usually write reviews, but I feel compelled in this case. At
VND 220,000, this is the single most expensive meal I've had in Vietnam. It was also the worst.

For just under $10, I got two spring rolls and some noodles. The spring rolls were very bland despite having pineapple in them, which I thought would make them interesting. The house special noodles came with tofu, peanuts, and lettuce. The noodles themselves were plain rice noodles. They came plain with half a lime and some soy sauce to use as sauce.

I can do much better than this myself at home. I would strongly suggest seeking out other options in the area. For 220,000, this was terrible. For a tenth the price, it might have been okay, but I have had much more imaginative meals for 40,000 in Vietnam.

Pros: decent service

Cons: bland, expensive

vegetarian options - Edit

I ate at Koto this afternoon, there are not many options for vegans actually. (See my uploaded photos in the gallery above)
Very expensive for vegetarian foods standard in Hanoi.
~90.000 - 105.000 for a salad dish
~100.000-140.000 for a main dish
I understand their problems of renting this very expensive location which is located just nearby Van Mieu Quoc Tu Giam (First University of ancient Vietnam) so this high price is somehow acceptable. But the food's quality and deliciousness could be much more better ! :) Hope they will make some improvements in the future.

Updated from previous review on 2017-03-28

Pros: Location, English spoken staff , friendly staff

Cons: almost vegetarian options , Very expensive , not yummy

Return to Hanoi Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Koto closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.