Koshari Street

Contact 02079937546

56 St Martins Lane, Covent Garden, London, England, WC2N4EA

Serves meat, vegan options available. Takeaway with a few seats, located in Leister Square. Was once all-veg but added meat in 2015. Main dish is koshari which is vegan. Offers also salads, hummus. Operates a stall at Borough Market selling just the vegetarian and vegan foodstuff. Open Mon-Sat 11:30am-11:00pm.

Category: Delivery, Take-out, Middle Eastern, Non-veg

First Review by teaboy

Great, filling vegan meal - Edit

It's lovely to have such a delicious vegan option near Covent Garden. They do have meat options, but the standard koshari is vegan. I find the classic size very filling, but they do have a large size as well. A few counter seats available.

Pros: affordable , tasty , large portions

Cons: limited seating

2.5* at most - Edit

Honestly having difficulties understanding how Vegans like this type of food. It's extremely bland and just getting flavours of the tomatoe puree sauce which is straight out a tin. I was excited making my order but very quickly let down when I began eating it.

Pros: None come to mind

Cons: Bland food, Very oily

Shame about the meat - Edit

I used to eat here often, really nice food and very handy for a quick lunch in the Trafalgar Square area but such a pity they introduced meat,I've not been back since

Pros: Meat introduced

A gem of a find near Covent Garden! - Edit

We were looking for somewhere to get a tasty and quick vegan lunch before a visit to the ballet at the Royal Opera House, and found this place on Happy Cow. We're so glad we did, because the food was absolutely delicious! 'Koshari Street' is a small place that offers take-out food, or you can eat-in, as we did, at some counter stools. The place is modern and clean, and the lady serving at the counter was helpful and friendly. Koshari is an Egyptian street food dish which consists of a delicious and healthy mix of lentils, rice and macaroni, topped with a spicy tomato sauce, chickpeas and caramelised onions. The food is great value and their is a choice of sizes of bowls. They also do a brilliant value meal deal. The salads and drinks that came with the meal deal were also very good. We'll definitely be going back to this great little vegan place the next time we are in the Covent Garden area.

Pros: Delicious food, Amazing value for central London, Friendly Service

Cheap and good - Edit

Koshari hits the yummy carb spot for me and I'm never going to say no to spicy tomato sauce, chickpeas and spice topping. Add beetroot hummus and really I can't ask for any more at this price. Will definitely be back...

Pros: Location , Value, Gorgeous spice mix

Not bad - Edit

Don't expect to be blown away by this place. It's pre-made koshari that they put in a pot with a few trimmings and hand to you. However if you want some vegan, relatively healthy fast food, this place is great.

The food is pre-made, so there is zero wait time, and there were seven seats (and zero other customers), so I had the option of eating in.

Whilst eating, I didn't especially approve of a conversation between the two girls working there about how they were sick but... well it didn't put me off the good food.

Recommended if you're nearby and want a quick meal, not a place to go out of your way for though.

Excellent - Edit

This is in my street for the past two years. Why the hell don't they say they're vegetarian on the door? Had one just now, it was absolutely epicly delicious. Perfect street food. Mad hot sauce wasn't really that mad, but you knew it was there. I'll be back, many times.

Pros: fast and cheap, relatively healthy

Fast, Tasty, and Inexpensive - Edit

Anissa Helou, the brains behind Koshari Street, hit gold with her concept to open a restaurant selling just one main dish: Koshari, Egypt's most famous street snack. The dish is comprised of lentils, pasta, and rice with chickpeas and tomato sauce, topped with crispy fried onions. Various salads are also on offer, but I always skip them in favourite of the Koshari, which is cheap and filling.

Pros: Inexpensive, Perfect winter comfort food

Cons: Limited seating

A disappointment - Edit

I was really looking forward to this due to all the positive reviews, but unfortunately, I was very disappointed. It was very different from what I had expected.

The staff were very friendly and the location is perfect, just one minute from Trafalgar Square. The prices are still very cheap, which I didn't expect in this location. However, I found the main dish - the Koshari - not edible at all. The caramelized onions on top were nearly burnt and so disgusting that I scraped them off. The other ingredients were not cooked enough and everything was quite tasteless apart from the sauce which was ok, but tasted readymade and not special at all. I had expected a special, tasty dish and what I got was a boring dish with some not edible onions on top.
However, I got another salad which I had for dinner later, and that tasted fresh and was very nice.

Seating is very limited and the seats very uncomfortable, so better come here in summer for a takeaway. If I ever come again, I will certainly just buy a salad - I won't try the Koshari again, once was enough.

Pros: Perfect location , Very cheap, Friendly staff

Cons: Main dish was not edible

Tasty! - Edit

Must have walked past this place hundreds of times but I won't do so again! Their one dish - KOSHARI - is a mix of rice, pasta, lentils and chickpeas topped with a tomato sauce (choose your chilli strength) and fried onions. It was absolutely delicious and under a fiver for dinner.

Pros: Very tasty, Inexpensive, Quick service

Cons: V.small shop so only a couple of seats

They serve just one dish, and that's enough - Edit

This place just serves one dish, and it's enough because it is so delicious.
It has a lot of flavours and spices, it's like a box of wonders. The tomato sauce is very rich, and the herb mix is really good. Not to mention the crispy onions on top mmm....

Very good value as well, if the day is beautiful, just grab one box and go sit in Trafalgar Square to have a nice lunch.

Pros: Excellent flavoursome food, Good value

Awesome food, open late - Edit

I ate here recently, and finding this place was a life-saver. It was the only vegetarian restaurant in the area open late on a Thursday night, and the food was not only delicious but also a good price.

It's very filling, the flavors are bold and wonderful, and the location-service-hours-price aspects were great, too.

I would absolutely go here again.

Pros: All vegetarian, Open late, Good prices

Good fast food - Edit

We ate here yesterday and enjoyed it! The lady said they just do the one main Koshari dish so it is the same everyday,. but they do have a fridge with salads and soups available!

The main dish is all vegan!
So it's just the snacks/yoghurts and (maybe the salads too?) that are veggie, not sure.

We loved the food and it was a great quick bite on the go. We just bought a regular Koshari for about £4, good value for the portion in central London!

It's pretty awesome they are open until 11pm, so if you don't want the full sit-down dinner you can run by here and just grab it to go, really handy to be honest!

Pros: free water, good quick food, late opening

Cons: limited menu

Good fast food - Edit

Just ate here as a lost tourist in London. Had the Combo Koshari dinner, which is a good bit of everything. Absolutely great stuff. Price is very good considering what you get. Also the free WiFi (although it not advertised on the front window).

Pros: Great price (and free water), Fast food, Good food

Cons: Small place

Delicious street food - Edit

I've eaten here several times now and can't wait to go again. Koshari, the main dish, is an unlikely mix of rice, green lentils, vermicelli and macaroni, topped with a spicy tomato sauce, chick peas, secret spice mix and crispy fried onions. It just works: beautifully. From what I understand, this is a dish you'll find everywhere in Cairo; and now on St Martin's Lane.

They also serve the other Middle-Eastern staples of hummus, tabbouleh and fattoush, but it's the Koshari that's the attraction for me.

Pros: Delicious, Vegan (Koshari), Healthy

Return to London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Koshari Street closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.