Konu Bar

JD Peron 1319, Buenos Aires, Argentina,

Vegan fast food cafe opened May 2014 in downtown. Serves a variety of burgers, sandwiches, pizza, and dishes such as wok and pasta. Has shakes and cakes. Takes Visa card. Open Mon-Sat 9:00am-12:00am, Sat-Sun 12:00am-1:00am.

Category: Vegan, American, Pizza, Western, Buffet, Juice bar, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by Vinicius

Huge portions. Great value. Friendly, but often busy staff. - Edit

I can't believe the value for the money you get here. Argentina being a rather expensive place. The beagle double seitan burger is half of what it would cost in LA. Same for the pizza. I don't love the potato cheeses, but I can't complain about vegan cheese in Latin America!

We had the bagel seitan burger, pizza, double veggie burger, and bacon 'cheese' burger. All we're really nice. The seitan has a great texture, but it is a wee bit lacking in flavor, a problem that anyone who makes seitan is familiar with. Still it was a HUGE amount and I ate it for two meals. I'm going back tonight to try some desserts!

Oh, the Oreo shake is so cheap and tasty too!

I'm surprised no one mentioned or noticed that this is part of The Supreme Master's vegan world takeover. Thanks again SM. You always feed us well!

Pros: Price! 2 ppl could share a $6 Pizza!, Very Central Location, Open Late!

Cons: None to mention so far

Good food, bad staff - Edit

We tried Rice Love and Estofado de Albondigas. Both rations were HUGE. And delicius too, but it gets a bit tiring and boring to eat such a big portion of the same thing. All the other orders were huge as well. They didn't give us bread nor cheese nor anything for the pasta.

The staff sucked big time. Not friendly, forgot our order and we had to wait ages for it to come. I don't understand how they forgot our order, I saw the guy taking it in the computer and all.
Also the place was really hot.

Pros: tasty food, HUGE rations

Cons: staff hate their lives, no bread or cheese, no air conditioner

Konu-t too bad - Edit

FM came twice. Trendy atmosphere, but in a shabby way - felt like a natural home for younger vegans. Not that cheap, and food was good but not amazing - nachos were a real highlight though.

It's mainly burgers, and they're relatively standard. Though in BA one of the better options FM tried.

FM

Pros: Nachos, Service, Vibrant

Cons: A bit expensive

Nice but needs balance - Edit

Been here in jan 2017. The place is a bit boxed up, the atendants seem to have something better to do than being friendly. The food is alright but ice cream and milkshakes are too sweet. Portion sizes are great, though.

Hit and miss - Edit

Visited twice whilst in BA. The first time the buffet was on and my husband had nice meatballs and rice. We also bought a chocolate cake and lemon meringue. Cake was nice but the meringue was not so good. The yellow part was a jelly texture.
We visited again I had the Konu burger and chips which was great. My husband had the BBK seitan and rice which was full of oil, so much so the sauce was separating.
Some nice menu options but the quality lacks consistency.

Nice small restaurant in Buenos Aires - Edit

I was really excited to try this restaurant. Unfortunately the kitchen want open (I was there at 6:00pm) but I was able to get a snack and milkshake. I ordered the nachos and oreo milkshake. Both were very good. The cheese sauce on the nachos was so delicious I wish I had asked what it was made of. Oreo smoothing was a bit too sweet for me but I enjoyed it anyways. They also have cakes which I did not order but I saw others eating them and they looked heavenly.

Pros: good food, affordable prices

Cons: kitchen has limited hours

Great Vegan burgers! - Edit

KonuThey say that in Argentina you can find the best meat in the world, obviously i didn't taste it but if you want the best vegan burger in the world go to Konu. At first look the place is a bit hippiesh looking and always packed with people (we came twice) but when you seat and see the verity of vegan burgers they have we felt at home. We've tasted two burgers out of about 10 that is on the menu and we've shared a salad from the buffet and we've enjoyed the best burger we've ate ever! Also we finished our lunch with a vegan milkshake and a brownie. The second time we got there it was out of the regular menu hours and we had a toast and a drink that was nice, but if you are in the are wait for the burger time, it worth it.

Great for newbies - Edit

I really wanted to visit it because of the name. In Icelandic it means - Women's bar. So it was hilarious at first. The atmosphere is nice, but we had a really unattentive waiter who kept forgetting to bring pepper and sauce..no tips.
The seitan burgers in bagels fooled my argentinian friends. They said it looked exactly as the meat it was faking. However we were all disappointed by the lack of taste in seitan and sauces. The breads and drinks were delicious. Fries were simple, could be more rustic.
There was no space for dessert after the double seitan burger, so I took one vegan alfajor home and it was theeee best! They're made by another company, but definitely a great combo.
I still have hope for this cafe, so I'll give it 4 stars.

Pros: fakes the meat perfectly, creative choices for Drinks of the day, great menu

Cons: lack of spices, dirty tables

Amazing greasy vegan - Edit

This place is perfect for your greasy vegan needs. They have the best seitan in a bagel with fries! So good.

A wide variety of vegan burgers - Edit

I went a lot of times during my second visit to Buenos Aires; unfortunately, I didn't know about it during my first, when it had recently opened. I just had the burgers and similar each time as the lunch buffet is by weight and that usually works out as pretty expensive. I enjoyed all of the things I had, especially some of them such as the Doble Konu burger. One bizarre thing with that and one or two other options is that they serve them in bagels rather than in normal buns, which I wish they wouldn't as the mayonnaise (which I don't like anyway but kept forgetting to cancel) seeps through messily. Every evening they have a two-for-a-bit-less-than-double offer. It's obviously better for two people eating together but I sometimes chose it and took one of them away to eat later: heating them up in the microwave worked pretty well. A strange and initially bewildering feature is that it doesn't say 'vegan(o)' anywhere at all prominent, so when I saw 'bacon' in the menu with no explanation I felt paranoid and just chose an obviously safe option. I asked the waiter the next time and he said it was all vegan; when I pointed out that the menu just announced things like 'bacon' he brought me an English menu instead, which was irritating because the language wasn't the problem but rather the restaurant not being explicit about its vegan status or bothering to explain what it meant by using types of meat in the names of its options. In general, the two main waiting staff were a bit disinterested and unhelpful, for example even though I was a foreigner speaking to me extremely fast or from a distance across a noisy space. However, the woman at the take-away/payment counter with copper hair was always very friendly and nice. The restaurant has an annoying habit of closing half the tables for the last hour or two, but for reasons best known to themselves they close the nicer half and make everyone sit next to the toilets, the unsightly metal lunch-buffet counter and the window onto the equally unattractive street. They don't take MasterCard, which is annoying since it costs almost 100 pesos to withdraw cash. Despite these various downsides I really did enjoy the chance to have so much vegan 'junk' food (but of course with the added advantage that vegan options can't usually be too unhealthy).

Updated from previous review on 2016-12-22

Pros: All vegan, Tasty and filling, Central location

Cons: Some staff could be nicer., Its vegan status is not presented clearly., You're forced to sit at a bad table for no reason.

Yummy food with lots to choose from - Edit

I've been here twice and its been delicious both times. The staff were also very friendly both times. It's also pretty good value compared to some other vegan places in the city.

Pros: All vegan! Beautiful desserts, delicious burgers.

Cons: not much to complain about but the fries are not h

Cheap 'n vegan - Edit

My boyfriend and I went here several times for dinner, because it's cheap, relatively close to where we are and the food is alright. At night it's a-la-carte, no buffet. They have menu's every day for 2 people to make it even cheaper. The burgers taste good, although I must admit I had better (read: when I'm making them myself), but I'm still not complaining. They should do something about the bread though, it's more like Mc-Donalds-factory-bread (sorry, snobby Dutch, we're bread addicts). I heard the desserts are amazing too, but I don't eat sweet stuff so I can't confirm.

On the background play non-stop videos about some Chinese guru/sekt. But well, it's vegan, so who cares?

But what's up with the staff? The waitress is seemingly very depressed to show up for work and she's not ready to hide it. No smile, just some negative mumbles... an interesting attitude when working in hospitality.

Pros: Cheap, All vegan, Food acceptable

Cons: Staff

Cheap, delicious, wide variety - Edit

They have a wide variety of food (self-service by the kg), including lots of different burgers with fries. Prices are dirt-cheap, and food is delicious. The space is nice (not fancy at all) and big, I loved it.

Pros: Lots of variety, Delicious food, Cheap prices

Cons: Not a fancy place

Nice Food, horrible place. - Edit

The food it's very good and VERY cheap.. 2 hamburguers + 2 fries includes. 160$ (10 uss, for 2 people)

One of the cheapest vegans place in buenos aires without doubt.

In the day you can pick food per kg, and even it's cheaper.. Very good salades and fried options..

The cons: Freacking religious video looped forever. The waiter it was VERY disrespectful (Tuesday night 5/7/16)
Anti-alcohol imposed ethic.

The air is full of oil because the fried and they dont had an extractor.. They use air air conditioner for heating and this two things make an horrible experience for stay there.

But it's a VERY good option for pick and go..

Pros: Nice seitán, salads., VERY cheap

Cons: waiter disrespectful (night), stale atmosphere

Food is tasty, but... - Edit

We ate at Konu twice while we were in Buenos Aires. Once for dinner and the next day for lunch we liked it so much.

They have a good selection of vegan burgers. Between me and my husband we tried 4 different ones, one lentil, one chickpea, one like a "chicken parm," and one quinoa. I liked the lentil one best, I think my husband liked the quinoa. Burgers were relatively large, but thin. There was an option to get double the patty, and I think for some of the burgers this would be a good idea if you're really hungry.

All burgers came as meals with fries and a drink. Lemonade was good.

They had a few desserts - tried the brownie. It was ok - more cake-like than brownie, but chocolately.

Prices are dirt cheap by U.S. standards. Two burgers with fries and drinks was about $12.

Decor is very casual. Very odd videos playing about some "supreme leader." Looked her up and she's apparently very popular in a lot of Asian countries, especially Taiwan. She supports vegetarian and vegan eating. Weird but benign.

Not sure the place is in the best area. The first night we were there a cop arrested someone right in front of the restaurant. Quite a commotion. Not that this has anything to do with the restaurant - just that it might not be a good place to walk around at night.

[edit by staff- see ToS]

I was conflicted on what to rate this place because the food was tasty, but I got REALLY sick. So a 5 for the food and a 1 for the illness and I came up with 3.

Delicious! - Edit

This place has delicious burgers and their cakes and mylkshakes are fabulous!
Their lunch buffet looks great but I haven't yet had a chance to try it.

amazing food - Edit

we have eaten at konu around 10 times now, both in the evenings and for lunch. I love the lunch buffet and really enjoy the burger menues as well... usually the service is great, but last time we had a pretty horrible waitress. also, there is only cake and drinks between 16:00 and 20:00, 20:30 on Fridays and Saturdays which is not clear from any Web presence and a bit confusing. all in all one of the best places I've been in bsas.

good burgers, great lemonade - Edit

good vegan food! the desert (lemon cake) was too sweet for my taste but in general a good place to get some quick vegan fast food

Return to Buenos Aires Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Konu Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.