Vegan-friendly
Lacto
Mediterranean
Beer/Wine
Non-veg

Serves fish, vegan options available. Has pasta, salads and house-made seitan. Non-smoking. English spoken and on menu. Only 18 seats so reserve ahead. Directions: 1 minute walk from the Catholic Cathedral. Note Karuzo has a "bb" street address - it's at the east end of street before the numbering starts. Reported to close earlier than stated times. Phone no 033444647. Reservations only. Open Mon-Tue 12:30pm-11:00pm, Wed-Fri 12:00pm-3:00pm, Wed-Sat 6:00pm-11:00pm.

Venue map for Karuzo
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by Adnan

LiamONeil

Points +41

12 Sep 2023

Awesome food!

I had the vegan kebab, was very very tasty, could see myself coming back to try more from the menu! It's usually reservation only, we caught it on a quiet night and Sasha was happy to accommodate us.

Pros: Unique menu , Lots of vegan options

Cons: Little pricey

veganjen83

Points +294

13 Aug 2023

A great experience

A wonderfully unique experience at Karuzo. The chef does everything so make sure you reserve beforehand. There was so much to choose from, so many soups and lovely mains. We had mint and green soup, cauliflower risotto and stuffed Swiss chard, the raw cheesecake dessert was the star. Amazing food!

Pros: So much choice, Everything is freshly made with seasonal ingredien, Great experience

AmandaIsabelle

Points +29

04 Aug 2023

Plenty vegan en veg options

Lovely food, great taste and reasonable portions. We had vegan sushi to start. I had a mushroom and fig risotto and my husband a gnocchi brussel sprout dish as mains. Very tasty. Reserve before hand as the chef likes to prepare.

SeveriRissanen

Points +16

11 Jul 2023

Great place!

Really good food! The owner is great, very friendly and the place is quite cozy. But it is reservation only, since the owner handles the food and reservations by himself at least when we came. As described by him, the restaurant is 'mainly vegan', and suggests the vegan options to everyone.

Idunism

Points +18

29 Jun 2023

Best vegan food in Sarajevo

We had the cauliflower mushroom risotto and vegan kebab (ćevap), which was beautifully presented, nice portions, high in complex and tasty flavours. Paired with the red house wine, also delicious. A must for vegans/vegetarians in Sarajevo!

Remember to book in advance as the restaurant is run by only the owner, and respect that he has a certain capacity and wants to ensure a positive experience for his guests. We will be sure to visit next time we come to Sarajevo!

Pros: Quality of food, Atmosphere, Saša’s charm and personality

tameveggie

Points +55

29 Apr 2023

Best Vegan Food in E Europe, Nicest Owner

You must reserve a table but after you do you’ll be greeted by a passionate and fantastic chef named Sasha who runs the place solo. Unbelievably good food, especially anything with his homemade seitan. Great guy to have a chat with, would 6* review if that was possible!

friedtea

Points +37

22 Apr 2023

Amazing experience here. Make a reservation though!

The chef was a character and makes you feel very welcomed. Be warned though — you should def get a reservation! We were t able to reach him on phone, so we went in person the day before to make a reservation the following day.

Loloje

Points +53

02 Apr 2023

Astonishing Experience

Sure you know some vegan places with thoughtful dishes, but here all the vegan options and there are many are just on point delicious. We went twice and both times it was just so good. Every bite so flavourful and interesting. If you want to dine exceptionally well make a reservation and take some time with you.

Pros: So many delicious vegan options, Unique dishes, Flavourful

Farm

Points +110

04 Nov 2022

Incredible experience!

You can’t explain what it’s like to dine at Karuzo…..make a reservation and be prepared for an experience. Sasha waits on you, cooks the meals from scratch and serves them. He only takes a few reservations a day. Almost everything is VEGAN! Everything we ordered was incredible. I would give 5 stars but Happy Cow does not allow since he serves fish.

Pros: Delicious and creative, Large portions, Unusual

NinnaPedersen

Points +245

30 Aug 2022

5 out of 5 🌟

Wow, this place has amazing food! 😍
The menu is long, so it's a bit hard to choose, but I believe everything is amazing. There are quite a lot of vegan dishes and the chef is vegan himself, even though he serves fish.
We had vegan chickpea pockets and seitan "steaks" with Thai vegetables and tofu cheese. We were able to share both dishes, and they were both incredibly tasteful.
To drink we had a bottle of wine, the chef's favorite white wine. It's was perfect with the food.
The place is probably a bit expensive for Bosnian standards, but it's worth the money. It's a cosy restaurant, the chef is nice and friendly and wants you to have the best experience.
Make a reservation and go there! 🌟

millimaus

Points +23

26 Jun 2022

Würzig, frisch und lecker

Unser Essen war jeweils echt super, waren schon zweimal dort.
Klare Empfehlung.

Wir finden Sasha sehr nett. Man muss nur reservieren und jeweils bisschen auf das Essen warten, aber es lohnt sich auf jeden Fall.
Gute Getränkeauswahl.

Updated from previous review on 2022-06-26

Pros: Große vegane und vegetarische Karte , Freundlicher Gastgeber

Cons: Nur auf Reservierung

LeonBäßler

Points +139

05 Jun 2022

Reserve in advance

After a few comments, we realized that reservations should be made. We were lucky and the owner invited us anyway after making it clear that we should not be in a hurry. The food was very tasty but it took a very long time because the guests who made reservations were served first. Overall a nice experience but I also understand the negative comments. At the end of the day, the owner runs the restaurant alone and all the guests have to submit to his whims.

Pros: Many vegan options, Delicious food

Cons: Egocentric owner , Must be reserved

angiebrahms

Points +13

28 May 2022

Most creative veg chef on the Balkans

4/5 because Happycow only allows fully vegan/veg places to be 5*, nevertheless you´ll get everything you want at Karuzo´s. Forget about the reviews remarking the owner´s rudeness, he´s direct and wants you to order ahead, if you keep this into account the experience is unforgettable! Sasa has a large menu, and after two visits all four dishes were extraordinary, they were prepared on the spot and full of flavour. He truly puts creativity into his work and makes up everything from scratch. There was quite a lot to choose from, chickpea pockets and vegan kebab were my favourites. Also really enjoyed the domaći rakija and the banana ice cream. Owner is a character, and shares his recipes when you ask for them. Full-on experience. I do not recognise myself in the negative experiences on Happycow, expect those guests to be spoilt, elite kids. Come prepared, and enjoy!

Pros: strong on flavours, creativity, including the owners character, extras such as rakija and desserts

Cons: price a little high for Bosnian standards

booklover84

Points +175

10 Apr 2022

Amazing food

Really delicious food. We liked it so much that we bought his cook book at the end. You need to make a reservation and there can be quite a wait for food, but it’s worth it.

AydaPhan

Points +149

11 Jan 2022

Must visit!

Five star rating only available for vegan and vegetarian places. But this place is a 5 star for sure. Best food you can try in Sarajevo. 90% of the menue is vegan/vegetarian.

esza.van

Points +39

13 Sep 2021

Amazing restaurant and food

At first the local doesn’t seem to be big or even pretty from outside, but when you enter you feel welcomed, cozy and as if you‘re a guest in someone’s home!

The cook, who does not only cook everything freshly, serve and runs the business in general, is very passionate about his food and nice to his customers.

The food was overwhelmingly delicious and everything tasted unique! By far the best vegan/vegetarian experience in the balkan region.

Pros: many vegan options, cozy restaurant, kind owner

Cons: a bit more expensive

EmilyPf

Points +19

10 Aug 2021

Outstanding food

TL;DR: make a reservation in advance, be prepared to wait but the food is worth it

Strap yourself in ‘cause I have a LOT of good things to say about this restaurant! Everything is fresh & made to order, even soups (I asked). We came here twice for dinner, the first time we made our reservation in person for later in the evening, and then after our meal for the following night which worked out well. (The restaurant is reservation only so you’ll need one.) We ordered:

-Vegan (sushi) roll
-Japanese bite (a rice dish with vegetables)
-Herbed Polenta with Mushroom Porcini sauce
-Vegan Chili Seitan (with basmati rice)
-Whole Grain Pancake (Crepe) with Lentils & Vegetables with Rosemary Sauce
-Oven Baked Homemade Seitan with Thai Vegetables & Tofu Cheese
-Chocolate Apple Cube (bar-like dessert)

It was all excellent, particularly the polenta and the crepe. While this restaurant does serve fish, fish-free options are abundant (at least half the menu) and clearly marked as either vegetarian or vegan, and some are gluten free. 2 of the 5 or 6 desserts are marked vegan, and there is coconut milk for coffee. Because everything is made to order and there are no other cooks, be prepared for food to take an hour or two, especially if there are more people in the restaurant. This is not the place to come to for a quick lunch. However, we found it was the perfect place for a late-ish dinner after a long day of exploring Sarajevo. The chef/owner was friendly and happy to offer recommendations. I’m usually skeptical of restaurants with bigger menus, but we loved everything we tried! Definitely a must-stop spot in my book, 10/10.

Pros: Vegan & vegetarian dishes clearly labeled, Very delicious food

Cons: HappyCow won’t let me give this 5 stars :(, Kinda expensive for Sarajevo but worth it

curry&aubergine

Points +74

10 Aug 2021

unique but overrated

very unique dishes all cooked fresh and from scratch by sasha. small comfy restaurant, it feels like your at his home.
sasha is a really passionate and confident cook but can be quite harsh if you show up without a reservation.
we were really excited to go to karuzo based on the reviews here. sadly our food was way too salty. it was still good and the overall experience was great but for sure not the best vegan food you‘ll eat.

tipp: the cevapcici are more like differently spiced falafel, great but maybe not what you‘d expect.

Pros: many vegan options, amazing home made seitan, athmosphere

Cons: expensive for sarajevo, reservation only

BenTimberlake

Points +68

25 Jul 2021

A real experience with a unique chef

Great soups especially, and a unique, personable experience with chef and owner Sasha. He’s a real character with a passion for well-made food. According to him, all of his vegan specials are prepared better than anyone else’s. While some may quibble with that claim, in the moment amid the charming atmosphere, it’s hard to argue.

lukep

Points +22

10 Jun 2020

Spectacular food

First: be sure to make a reservation, you will be turned away otherwise. We did and had a wonderful visit. The owner was very nice, he chatted with us at our table and signed his cookbook for is as well. The restaurant has a nice wine selection and a very cool atmosphere. Items on the menu are marked and the owner is happy to accommodate.

Pros: Friendly place, good food

Cons: Reservation required

AriTómasson

Points +46

16 Feb 2020

Amazing food

Super good food. Recommend the seitan. Watch out that it is reservation only.

RuanSmith

Points +46

14 Feb 2020

Best Vegan Food in Sarajevo

Owner is incredibly passionate about food and really friendly when he’s relaxed. You will taste the love in all the meals. He runs a one-man show so perhaps at busy times it can take long to get service or food so don’t visit if you’re in a hurry and probably don’t expect to have long conversations with the owner/chef/waiter. You simply can’t rush art. Booking is necessary and perhaps visit lunchtimes for a more relaxed experience.

Pros: Exceptional vegan variety, Owner-run. High standards. , Engaging experience.

Cons: Need to book in advance.

levi24

Points +644

27 Sep 2019

Rude Owner, Bad Experience

It is with sadness that I am forced to write this review. In terms of the restaurant's concept, cosy interior, home-cooked food, and overall uniqueness, it should easily get the highest ranking possible.

However, the owner's rudeness was the main takeaway. Having read other reviews before coming, I roughly knew what to expect: I needed to make a reservation beforehand, the owners could be somewhat gruff, etc.

Immediately upon entering, I was asked, "Did you make a reservation?" I said yes and that I had received confirmation from him. He says: "Why didn't you respond to my message?" In my mind, I'm thinking 'why would I need to respond to a reservation confirmation??'

He gives me a seat and comes back a few minutes later to take my order. Before this, he now brings up that he couldn't remember my reservation and wanted an explanation. I told him that I could pull it up on my phone, at which point he tells me to go ahead and order. He remained short and stern as I asked about a couple of dishes, and then became angry when I told him that I didn't need a drink (I was on a two month trip and brought my water bottle everywhere to save costs...ordering drinks adds up over two months).

Despite being in the right and trying to remain calm and respectful, I spent the remainder of the evening feeling as though I wasn't welcomed there, having been put in a place of defensiveness throughout. I should say that I have honestly NEVER been treated like this at a restaurant. And I should reiterate that I am a courteous, nice person (I read some of these reviews and assume that the complainers are occasionally just rude people). Go check out my many other reviews. I am always fair and give the benefit of the doubt.

I hope the owner reads some of these reviews, as I know I'm not alone with these characterizations, and that it pushes him to change the way he interacts with the people he is supposed to SERVE.

Updated from previous review on 2019-09-27

Cons: Rude Owner

Felinalebtveggi

Points +13

30 Aug 2019

AMAZING and an absolute must

The owner, who is also the cook, is such a nice and talented person. The food was so incredible and delicious!! It‘s not prepared and tastes so fresh!
Would give 5 stars

Pros: Amazing food , Nice staff

janaveg

Points +35

03 Jul 2019

Perfect Vegan Ćevapi

I went to the restaurant to eat the famous Ćevapi. And I was very surprised. The Vegan Ćevapi is simply wonderful, very tasty. Vegans, vegetarians and omnivores should taste this delight. Sasha besides being an excellent chef, is very friendly and kind. I'm in love with this dish.

Pros: Lots of Vegan Options, Very good place, Great service

Cons: No Cons

freshandalive

Points +184

23 Jun 2019

Hours of Operation Aren't Correct, Poor Customer Service

The food in this restaurant looks good, but I guess I'll never know because I came in with a group of 3 people at 10 pm Saturday night when the hours published on the restaurant web site state they are open until 11 pm, and the owner approached us and said they were closed since it would take an hour to make our food and then another hour to clean the kitchen, so he wouldn't get out of there until midnight. Say what? Then why not list your closing time as 10 pm and allow existing guests to linger after closing like pretty much any other decent restaurant on planet Earth? The owner's attitude was so nonchalant, it was obvious he couldn't care less if we ate there or not since vegetarian and vegan options, especially raw or grain/gluten-free are almost non-existent in Bosnia— FOR NOW. Tourists are increasingly flooding into Bosnia to see the pyramids there, so this poor and sadly typical poor customer service is fortunately being replaced by savvy business people who don't have such provincial attitudes.

Pros: Centrally located in Sarajevo

Cons: Poor customer service, Tiny, cramped dining room, Hard to find entrance

kelseyjaynex

Points +2737

27 Dec 2018

A unique experience

We made a lunch reservation using the contact form on the Karuzo website. Even though we came in December and there was only one other couple in the restaurant, when they arrived the chef/owner/waiter Sasha seemed a bit annoyed with them for not booking ahead and didn’t treat them as warmly. So just do yourself a favour and make a reservation! Also bear in mind that he cooks everything from scratch as well as serving tables so expect a long wait - our lunch took a leisurely 2 hours from start to finish.

Sasha is a funny character, clearly very passionate, and he was really hospitable towards us. The menu has tons of interesting vegan options and many vegetarian dishes that can be adapted.

We had the “Japanese Bite” for starter which was really nice - some kind of saucy rice and vegetable dish with seaweed and a side of homemade vegan parmesan. Turned out we didn’t need a starter though as both the mains were obscenely huge and we couldn’t finish. My bf had the seitan chilli and I had the buddha bowl. My bf wasn’t overly impressed with the chilli. The buddha bowl wasn’t what I expected, as in the whole dish was hot cooked veggies, rice and sauce and was pretty oily/heavy. Usually I think of buddha bowl as being really light and fresh with a mix of raw and cooked veggies. Regardless the flavours were nice and I enjoyed it. As mentioned neither of us could finish our mains, but Sasha offered to put the leftovers in a container for us to take home. He also gave us complimentary cherry liqueur to finish which was nice.

The total came to 80km including 2 drinks each and a tip, which was by far our most expensive meal in 6 weeks in the Balkans. The restaurant feels a bit outdated, and the food wasn’t like... mind blowing. I’m glad we went because it was a cool experience, but for the high price I think it could’ve been better.

Pros: interesting food, huge portions, Sasha’s hospitality

Cons: expensive