CLOSED: Kale

Contact 416-792-5253

2366 Yonge Street, Toronto, Ontario, Canada,

Hot dishes and salad bar sold by weight. Also sandwiches, tofu burgers, fresh juices, smoothies, vegan and gluten-free desserts, fair trade organic coffee and tea. Confirmed closed, Aug 2014.

Category: Vegan, Macrobiotic, Organic, Western, Salad bar, Take-out

First Review by Ally846

Love it! - Edit

Food was great and very delicious; great to have a vegan place that is quick and easy. Space is sparse on purpose but nice and clean. Very transit-handy.... Staff were generally friendly. Would go again in a heartbeat!

Pros: delicious food, fast service (serve yourself), great location

My favourite black bean burrito - Edit

Just tried the black bean and avacado burrito,
The best I've ever had. The buffet menu looked wonderful and I'm looking forward to going back.

hmm - Edit

I would sometimes eat at "Kale" when it was located in Noah's Health Food on Bloor. I always felt a little sad afterwards because it was more expensive than I wanted and the food was, as another reviewer perfectly put it "uninspired". I wanted some UMPH! Instead it made me "hmmm..."

Good for lunch - Edit

Kale is a small, clean updated buffet style restaurant. You weigh your plate when you are done making your choices. It is a little pricy ($2.40 per 100g) but you are getting high quality organic food that will nourish and clean your body. Also, if you fill your plate reasonably, instead of with your eyes, you will find that you will be full and feel light when you are done. My plate was in the $8 range and my husband's was just under $10. We had a nice squash millet stew (a little runny, but tasty), rice and spinach, coleslaw, portobello  mushroom salad, vegetable curry and many more healthy, colourful items. I finished my meal with a Matcha almond milk green tea late to go.
They also had a variety of desserts, soups, wraps, burgers and a few other options you could order if you are not the buffet type. But, this buffet was clean and appetizing.

The staff was friendly, helpful and a barista to boot.

We recommend it and will return.

Pros: Gluten free options, Clean buffet, Tasty

Cons: Small, Pricy?

Decent food, high prices - Edit

First off, there's a non pay-by-weight option at this restaurant, which I do not know if it was added later or not. I am reviewing the pay-per-weight option, as I didn't see anything that interested me on the standard sandwich and burger menu.

The food selection is small compared to a big buffet place or a place like the Commensal, but given the cafe size is understandable. The selection is still decient, with at least 2 dozen options, both hot and cold. I had a mixture of vegetables, salads and tofu.

As previously reviewed, the pay-per-weight is the real downside. The food was delicious, but I ended up paying 9 dollars for a plate that didn't really fill me up when I was finished eating. Next time, I'll try the non-weight options and see if they're better

Pros: Great food quality, Fast

Cons: Pay by Weight, Expensive

So-so - Edit

A beautiful, squeaky-clean joint with trendy branding. A cool, detached staff. If you trend toward that kind of atmosphere then you've found the right place.

The food was overpriced and underwhelming. The also by-weight Commensal has a far larger, more diverse and exciting selection in quirkier surroundings.

That said, the beet salad was lovely, as was the grilled tofu. If you're at Yonge & Eggs there's no competition. God I miss Happy Buddha.

Pros: clean, trendy, healthy

Cons: $$$, uninspired

Same problem with all pay by weight places - price - Edit

The food was very nice and it is wonderful to get to try many items in one meal. But, as with any pay by weight place, it ends up costing more than you'd expect. Definitely a dangerous place to visit when you're starving!

Pros: Very good food, Nice to have variety in a meal

Cons: Can be expensive

Lovely Take Away / Pay By Weight - Edit

I have been to Kale twice and will be going much more now that I have moved uptown. It is a small pay by weight place but there is a good mix of options - about 8 hot and 8 cold items. I thought the pricing was reasonable and the squash perogies were out of this world yummy.

Pros: Food`, Staff

Cons: No AC, Early Closing Time

Return to Toronto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Kale closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4065 times since Feb 2010.