First Review by Kellie Flower

Best kept secret for vegans in Augsburg! - Edit

We had a 3 night stay in Augsburg and were planning on traveling to Munich to go to some vegan restaurants and cafes until I saw one listing for a little vegetarian / vegan café not far from our hotel. K41 seems to be a labour of love, with a couple of folks working there, one in the evening. It is only about 10 minutes easy walk from the Hauptbahnhof and is a cute little cube of a space, a bit of a tight squeeze seeing as how popular it seems to be (but space out the front for summer dining). We arrived on a cold January day and took up a shared table. There is a lunch and a dinner option (7 - 8 euro) with the choice taken out of it, as the 'lucky plate' is the only option. The meal starts with a soup, followed by a good sized plate of diverse dishes, and a small sweet to finish (drinks available for purchase). We went for lunch first, starting with a lovely spicy coconut cream soup with potato, ginger and a sprinkle of finely chopped nuts. The main was a cone of rice surrounded by stir fried vegetables, an Asian style mock meat dish, dahl and a fresh tasting spring roll. Very filling and excellent flavours. To finish was a small shot glass sample style of creamed banana. So delighted, we returned for dinner. This time there was a lentil soup, with mains of rice, with a generous portion of stir fried vegetables (different to lunch, including pineapple), tofu and vegetables in a Japanese flavoured sauce, and dahl (my favourite, very well made). The sweet was similar to lunch but had an avocado flavour to it as well.

The flavours of each dish were excellent and we left full and happy. The place is popular, from what we saw. There was even a group of folks who waited, outside, in the -3 degrees c cold until a table was free! Excellent value for money and fast, friendly service.

Make sure you ask for vegan as I believe they may offer an occasional vegetarian dish (as always, I BEG of veg places to just go ahead and make it all vegan!!!!)

Pros: Price, Quick Service

Cons: Small space - you may wait for a table!

Return to Augsburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has K 41 closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1373 times since Oct 2012.