Japango

303-938-0330

1136 Pearl St (at Lucky Food Centre), Boulder, Colorado, USA, 80302

Serves meat, vegan options available. Fancy Vegetarian is a stall in Lucky Food Centre. Trendy, modernist Japanese atmosphere sushi bar and restaurant. Veggie choices besides seaweed salad and soba salad are a veg bento box, fried organic tofu, vegetable tempura, vegetable miso hot pot, vegetable sushi (vegans specify no mayonnaise). Maybe uses the same fryer though. Call for hours - tell us.

Categories: Japanese, Beer/Wine, Asian Fusion, Non-veg

First Review by smasheasy

Not vegan or vegetarian friendly - Edit

I specified to the waiter that I'm vegetarian and do not like my food to be cooked in the same frier with fish and meat, then asked for recommendations. There weren't really any options substantial enough for lunch or dinner. I was told that the vegetable tempura is cooked in a separate frier. That sounded strange. What restaurant keeps a separate frier for vegetable tempura vs non-vegetarian tempura? So I asked another person how many fries they have. One. I ordered vegan sushi instead. It came on the same plate as my fellow diner's fish and was glued to his sashimi. I can only assume it was also cut with the same fish-covered knife on the same fish-covered cutting board. It's fine when a restaurant doesn't cater to vegetarians. It is their choice. But be honest about it and don't pretend that you do.

Pros: Atmosphere, Drinks, Location

Cons: Not enough substance for a meal, Waitstaff doesn't know what's vegetarian

Happy Hour All Day Mondays - Edit

It was my birthday, and we were in Boulder. Did a Happy Cow search, and found a well-respected vegan buffet, and went to the restaurant only to discover that it's only served on Fridays, and the rest of the week there is virtually nothing vegan on their menu. Disappointed, but feeling adventurous, we headed for the Pearl Street pedestrian mall, thinking we'd find something nice.

Japango looked like it would fit the ticket, with sushi and veg options, cool modernist atmosphere, and a patio on the mall. Lucky for us, it was Monday, and they have "Happy Hour All Day Mondays". That meant $3 appetizers, so we could try a variety of things. I had Agedashi - lightly battered tofu with mushrooms in tempura sauce, and Atsuage - deep fried and lightly grilled tofu topped with soy sauce and ginger. We shared some of the best Vegetable Tempura I've had anywhere. I also had miso soup, since it was lunchtime, which was also quite good.

I'll be back next time I'm in Boulder. I'll try the Vegetarian Bento Box (which I almost ordered) with vegetable gyoza + cucumber hand roll + vegetable tempura. Or the Vegetarian Sushi Dinner (specifying vegan, of course, which they seem happy to accommodate.)

Apparently Japango has other restaurants in Florida, San Diego, and Toronto. They definitely know what they're doing. I am quite happy to recommend Japango.

Pros: Veg and Vegan Friendly Menu, Excellent Food, Cool atmosphere, and location

Cons: Somewhat limited veg menu, but excellent, Might be crowded at times, Background music was 80's pop

Return to Boulder Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Japango closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.